Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3581 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2010 4:18 PM by Gravity06 1 2 Previous Next
TMachen Pro 114 posts since
Jul 22, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 15, 2010 12:10 PM

Run Away Parents 3/15

Good afternoon Run Aways!

It's misty, cold and windy here today but I made it out at lunch time for 5 miles at 10:33 pace. I'm going to not follow my training plan for this week and taper the rest of the week since I"m racing Saturday (5 miler).  So tomorrow I'll do 3 miles; Wed, I'll squeeze in 2 miles and then just walk Thurs and Friday.

My husband wants to know if I'm going to start acting 'normal' again once I"ve finished my half in May.  I would like to do one race each month or every other month. I really don't see that as a big deal. He can't understand why I can't just run for the fun of it. I've explained (unsuccessfully obviously) that running in races is fun. I've asked him to run with me. No way is his reply before I even finish the question. Then I suggest he ride his bike while I run- not his preference. I can't wait until the sun is up earlier so I can run before he's even awake. Then my races won't seem like such an intrusion on his time. Blah! I just had to vent. Thanks for listening!

I hope everyone is having a great Monday!

Happy Running!

~ Tracy

My blog about Life and other stuff

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

~Ovid

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    2. Mar 15, 2010 1:24 PM (in response to TMachen)
    Re: Run Away Parents 3/15

I just posted this on the 3/8 thread.  So here it is again!

Hi Runaways!

I just got back from my run.  I took the dog because it has been pouring all weekend and she's been stuck inside.  We both were great for the first 1.2 miles.  Then my shin started to twinge slightly.   So I thought it best to play it safe and walk the rest.  We covered 2.5 miles in 33 minutes.  I think the unevenness of the sidewalks is causing the shin problem.  I might try to run in the Fieldhouse tomorrow to see if that is better.  It was perfect running weather today - about 46 and drizzling.  Really - I love running in light rain.   It seems to help my breathing since the air is naturally moist.  The dog chewed my only pair of prescription sunglasses - so cloudy days are always preferred.

I don't food journal myself, but my 17 y/o does and it has really helped her to become aware of what and how much she is eating.  She is a dancer and a swimmer and at the perfect weight, but worries that in college next year she will gain.  I am pretty happy with my current weight.  I wish I didn't have the mommy flabby belly in the abdominal area.  But what can you do (except plastic surgery) after having 4 babies?  After my last baby - 4.5 years ago - I was 20 lbs heavier and it was not baby weight.  I lost it because of dietary restrictions due to my sons milk allergy.  I cut out all dairy including butter.  I found lots of substitutions - some terrible, some tasty.  I still mostly avoid dairy because I am lactose intolerant.  Some of my favorite substitutions are: avocado instead of cheese on burgers and sandwiches, Smart Balance Vegan Spread instead of butter, Silk milk or Almond Breeze.  My family rarely eats red meat except for hamburgers.  We use ground turkey, turkey sausage, and Hormel turkey pepperoni (serving size 17slices, 70 cal, 35 cal from fat!).  We eat vegetarian too with beans, tofu, pasta and eggs.  I always reduce the fat called for in recipes.  Non-stick pans are essential.  Several years ago we were given a George Forman Grill.  In the kitchen "clean-out" I rediscovered its usefulness.  It is great for hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken breasts, grilled cheese  and even quesadillas - no fat needed and the fat in the food drains out.

Angie - I have 3 daughters - 17, 14 and 10 - and a son who is 4 1/2.  My 10 y/o runs with me sometimes.  She is slower than me for now, but she just started running.  We are doing the 5k in 2 weeks.  My 17 y/o wants to do triathlons with me this summer.  We are doing a biking event in April with my husband.  I try to get my family to join me - sometimes it works but mostly I run alone.

I think I am going to ice my shin now.  Stay healthy everyone!

Marie

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

Feb 11, 2009
    3. Mar 15, 2010 1:41 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Tracy - I like quinoa too.  You can find it at Trader Joe's here in PA and DE.  I use a rice cooker to make it - which is easy.

Even though your hubby is not supportive, we are behind you 100%! Running makes us all better moms and wives and people!  It gives us energy to take   on all the challenges that we face every day of our lives!  Races provide goals for our everyday runs.  I know I have to ask my husband if it is okay to sign up for each race.  He has to do kid duty during the race and pay the bill(s).  Usually he responds to my requests with a sigh and a "When is it?" He did come and cheer for me last year at my first 5K and my first tri.  I think he is a bit intimidated when I ask him to join me.  I am in better condition and he hates to "lose".  But he does train on the bike with me.  And puts up with my runs when he is home.

Marie

Confucius

• TyKy Pro 134 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Mar 15, 2010 7:53 PM (in response to TMachen)

Evening runaways,

Last night I told myself I was going to do something about my ankle no matter what.  So I wake up early to make my appointment.  For military you have to call right at 6:00 am  and then HOPEFULLY you'll get an appointment.  Anyway, because there was the potential that I'd need an x-ray they refused to make me an appointment and said I had to be seen in the ER.  This was aggravating because I hate to take up space in the ER for something silly like my ankle, and because I don't want to get me or my son sick while there.  Because I promised myself I was going to do something about it I went into the ER.  Never a fun experience with a 3 yr old.  They send me down to x-ray.  Come to find out NOW they have started making people have "sitters" for their kids.  In the past they would have a nurse watch them outside or pull them into the back with them.  Anyway that was very inconvenient and the only way around it was to call my husbands old office and have one of their guys come meet me.  Very embarrassing and unnecessary.  So 7 hours later I am sitting in my room, the doctor comes in and says "I'm just an ER doctor.  I can tell you if you have a broken bone, but nothing else.  My guess is that you damaged the tendon or have a stress fracture but your primary will have to tell you."  I just looked at her and she said "at least you'll have the x-rays done for tomorrow" then walked out and discharged me with a sprained ankle.  If they wanted me in primary care than they should have let me make the original appointment I wanted!!!

I wasn't expecting miracles, but at least something.  Now if I want something done with my ankle I'll have to do it all again.  Well maybe not the x ray part but still......  And they wonder why I have let it hurt for 2 months before I came in.  Last time I made an appointment for my primary it took 5 weeks.

Sigh maybe I'm just a bit grumpy because I haven't run in a few days.

Anyway my husband doesn't undersand why I run either.  But he does support it.  He says he especially likes what it does to my bum and my mood.    He likes to mountain bike which I don't understand.  Why go 50 mph head first into a rock or tree?  I'd rather run 20 miles thanks!!!!!!!  Running in a light rain is nice, but I have to say I like the snow better.  Not with it sticking to the ground, just a light snow falling it the air.  Its just so calm and relaxing!!!  I've come to realize I can handle the weather except the wind.  The wind is enemy # 1   and the monthly cycle is a close # 2

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009
    5. Mar 15, 2010 10:03 PM (in response to TyKy)

I got really behind on responding to you all due to my allergy problem.

Angie,you can read about fartleks here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek. Thanks for the Aspercreme suggestion. I will try it.  Both heat and ice feel good so I will alternate between the two I suppose. Angie, please remind me what is going on with your leg. I'm sorry you had to make a long trip and now have to repeat that trip.

Marie, praise God for your good news regarding the thickening in your breast. Whew. I use the George Foreman grill for burgers too. We have burgers every Friday. I go to work every Friday from 7PM to 7 AM so it's an easy convenient dinner to prepare. I never thought of using it for grilled cheese. I'll make that for the kids' lunch tomorrow. I like to use the Foreman grill for turkey sausages, pork chops, and fish too. Thanks for your suggestion of not running until the race. I'm not sure I can take off that long just because I love to run but I will consider your suggestion. I did take off today. I wanted to see how the inflammation would be with three days of rest. It did reassure me when you said I wouldn't lose any conditioning and that I could ride the stationary bike instead.

TyKy, thanks for the suggestion to wear a hat when I run to protect my hair from the flowers. Unfortunately, due to the warmer weather here I cannot wear a hat. I would explode, me thinks. Hee hee.

Ali, I love your story of how you became a racer. I also think that it's very cool that you can wear your workout clothing to your office, and that you're a lawyer, and that you nurse your child. I stupidly never pictured an attorney of being a nursing mother. I have to put a check on my thoughts. Anyhow, I think you are very cool. By the way, are you a Gator. My dh is a Gator and he is an attorney as well. I'm sure he went to UF long, long, long before you though. lol. He is 12 years older than me.

RuninPeace,congrats on your 4.5 mile run. Glad you are feeling better.

TMachen,  I think we have a race on the same weekend. I wanted to do a 5 miler too but my son was reluctant so I went with the 5K since I love running with him.  I don't understand runners who don't want to race either. I have a friend who has been running two miles for double digit years and she has no interest in improving her time or in racing.

TyKY, what a hassle with the military medical system. It sounds like a bunch of foolishness. I used to be a manager in a primary care indidgent care clinic. It was one of the worst jobs I've ever had. The care was good but the admistrative meetings were pointless and it took forever for the patients to get care.

TBMcKay, I loved reading about your run in Alaska. It reminded me of an exciting article I read in Runner's World about Sarah Palin running there throughout her life.

Well, you ladies have made me appreciate my husband more. He is 150% behind my running hobby. From May to September 09 I walked. He tried to walk with me but his knee started hurting. He went to the doctor and was told that he had osteoarthritis. I had tried to get him to walk with me for ten years and he used to complain that I was walking too fast. I'm a fast walker so this caused a lot of arguments between us. He complained that my walking was like slow running. I should have known then that I might be a runner someday soon, huh?

All of a sudden, one day he said he wanted to go on one of my walks. I used to walk one hour a day. So I was sad when he was told he had osteoarthritis. He switched to swimming instead of walking and he swam laps the entire summer. We recently got a stationary air recumbent bike from Craig's list and he has been riding that since our pool is not heated. He has lost about 20 lbs since this past summer. Isn't that awesome. He has Type 2 diabetes. He was taken off the medicine about two years ago because his fasting glucoses have improved. I changed the way I cook after his father died from diabetes so that has helped a lot. He doesn't have any interest in running but doesn't complain about me running. He is a worrier though and he was worried about the children getting lost along the way in our first race. He wouldn't let our other son who was 7 y/o at the time run with me and our 10 y/o. That was probably a good decision though. There's no way he could have kept up with us.

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

Sep 12, 2009
    6. Mar 15, 2010 10:09 PM (in response to catsrcul)

Wow, there seem to be a lot of races coming up for everyone here! I am going to very jealous of you guys over the next few months. This is our last race for a while. I have no interest in running any races in the heat that is coming and will be here to stay until Sept/Oct.

This past Friday I ran in barely noticeable drizzling rain. I ran a 15:30 minute pace which is a personal best for me. I was very pleased because in the past I have had great difficulty running in rain due to asthma symptoms. This past Friday my chest didn't hurt despite the humidity. Interesting.

I did not run today as I wanted to rest my inflamed tissue on the side of my knee for three days. I did rid my stationary air recumbent bike for 5.7 miles x one half hour, burning 349 calories. Isn't that a sweet number?

Being the lazy person I am I didn't bother to wear a knee brace I purchased last night nor did I take ibuprofen nor do I use heat or ice. My leg felt great until now so late in the game I am now icing it.

I had planned to run one mile one day this week and then two miles another day and then take off until race day. I'm wondering now if I should just take off altogether as Marie suggested, and just ride the stationary bike. Decisions, decision, decisions. I will watch and pray.

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Completed C25K 12/14/09

Sep 12, 2009
    7. Mar 15, 2010 10:47 PM (in response to catsrcul)

I've been using the Lose It app on my iPhone for many months. If anyone uses it and wants to be my friend, let me know, although I don't know how  to use the friend feature yet.

I love journaling on that app. I use it regularly. If I forget to log breakfast, lunch, or dinner, I receive a text on my phone.

The app logs my exercises and new milestones onto Facebook.

~Karen~

Completed C25K 12/14/09

Feb 11, 2009
    8. Mar 16, 2010 8:53 AM (in response to catsrcul)

It is gorgeous here today!  Sunny and 55 degrees. I was going to run indoors at the Fieldhouse - but it is too nice. Plus my 17 y/o is home sick so she could watch her brother while I ran.  Instead I ran the .6 mile to the local hs track and ran 10 laps - 2.5 miles for a total of 3.1 miles in 31 minutes.  This is slow for me.  There was a strong head wind on 3 of the 4 sides of the track.  The track has a rubberized surface so is easier on my joints, etc.  By the last lap my shin was aching but tolerable.  I will ice it on and off today. My usual running path is straight out our main street thru town and back with some loops thru side streets to incorporate hills or more distance.  There is usually a strong wind blowing against me on the run out, but it pushes me home.  Running on the track, fighting the wind on every lap was tough.  Thankfully I had my mp3 player and cranked up the tunes to motivate me. I came home and called the doctor about my 17y/o.  She had blood work yesterday because she has been so sick.  She has mono.   I hope and pray she feels better soon.  And I hope noone else gets it!

Tyky - What a horrible experience!  You deserve better treatment!  But don't give up; you need to find out what is going on with your leg.

Karen - Keep strong and take care of that leg, too.  You're going be great on Saturday!

Gotta go fix lunch and nurse my sick girl.  I am hoping to plant some peas and flowers this afternoon.

Think Spring!

Marie

Confucius

• Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010
    9. Mar 16, 2010 9:01 AM (in response to TMachen)

Hey Runaways,

It's been interesting hearing about your hubbies' support or lack thereof.  Kudos to you ladies who keep pushing yourselves without the support from home!  My husband was a runner back in high school.  I don't think he was on a track team, he just needed the relief from a stressful home life.  So he has been very understanding of my need to get out there and save my own sanity.  A couple of weeks ago I heard him descibe me as "a runner".  That made my day.  I keep hoping that he will get the bug again.  He will be 40 this year and he is completely sedentary.  He has been talking more about his old running days and the races he ran with his dad.  Maybe I'll buy him a pair of running shoes for his birthday.

Karen, your husband sounds like a keeper!  I did my undergrad at UF & graduated in 96.  Yes, I'd say my law practice is a bit unconventional.  I work while my daughter is in preschool, from 9-2.  Most of my clients are people whose vacation or investment homes are in foreclosure, so I can deal with them over the phone or internet.  It's not the lucrative career I envisioned, but it allows me the flexibility to spend time with my little ones.  And that is the mantra I keep repeating whenever I see something that I want but can't afford....

Ty, I live near several military bases and I have heard that it is a nightmare to get through all the red tape at the doctor's offices.  But good for you for plunging in.  I'm sure your ankle will thank you.  Good luck!

Last week was not a super productive running week for me.  I am going to say that it was my Recovery Week from my 5K.  But there were a lot of other factors that slowed me down and kept me inside.  I tried to redeem myself by tagging on an extra half mile on my Sunday run, which turned out to be a beautiful, soul-affirming run in the woods.  The Spring Breakers have arrived en masse, and I think I'll try to stick to my quiet trail in the woods until they leave.  That, or maybe try an early morning run before they recover from the previous night's festivities.  Ahhhh, to be young and carefree!  It could be much worse -- Panama City Beach & MTV are only 20 minutes away. 

Well, I have accomplished nothing at the office so far this morning and I do plan to get in a quick 2 miles before lunch, so I better get productive.  I hope you all have a healthy and happy day!  Those of you with injuries (there seems to be a lot of you right now) -- take it easy.

Ali

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

Sep 12, 2009
    11. Mar 16, 2010 10:01 AM (in response to TMachen)

Tracy, the way I catch up on laundry is to have my two oldest boys fold the laundry.

The weather is perfect here today. It's 66 degrees. Oh, I wish it could stay like this but it won't. DS & I ran one easy mile this morning. Then I did 15 minutes on my stationary bike. I have iced that flesh next to my knee once today and will ice it again now. So far it feels great. Last night I put some generic topical analgesic cream on it.

Happy Running!

~Karen~

~Karen~

Completed C25K 12/14/09

• Angiesrunning Amateur 32 posts since
    Nov 18, 2009
    12. Mar 17, 2010 5:42 AM (in response to TMachen)

I am very lucky also.  My husband 110% supports my running.  3 years ago, after I'd had our 3 child, my weight was at an all time high.  So I started exercising and joined the gym.  I've lost over 60 lbs. since then.  My husband LOVES it!  After working out for 2 years, he decided to join also.  Then he got into jiu jitsu--MMA.  He does it as a hobby.  He hasn't won a competition with it.  Maybe that's why I love running so much...all I have to do is finish & I get a shirt and goody bag.  So 5-6 days a week, we are in the gym together.  It's been really great for our marriage.  We've finally found something we can do together.  Somedays I can even run around town and he'll keep all 3 kids in the gym with him.  He's into body building and I'm into body losing!  He has run a couple of 5k's with me and told me the other day that he can't wait to do another one.  He's lost about 40 lbs. also since he started working out.

TyKy-- I don't think I could run in light rain or snow!  Give me heat!!!  I live in Louisiana for a reason...I love the heat

Karen--When I was in the middle of training for my half marathon, I switched to a new shoe like the shoe specialist suggested (b/c I was putting so many miles on the other ones).  That aggravated the muscles in my right leg.  I couldn't even walk on the treadmill for 4 weeks.  The week before the race, I was able to jog/walk.  So that's what I did during the race.  Needless to say, those "new" shoes are now on eBay!  I also use the Lose It app...when I use it.  I didn't know there was a friend feature on it.  I don't get a good signal at home.  I can text from it and that's about it from home.  I live way way in the woods!  You're on fb?!  Me too.  Friend me...  Angie Palmer Luke  I love to get to know other runners.  I only have 1 other friend in the area that works out.  It's really awesome to get to know others.  & I love that fact that you're a Christian too.

Marie-- I love listening to music when I run too!  It helps me focus and my run isn't so boring.  There was one time when I forgot my ipod at home... I wasn't that bored though b/c I had my little one to push in the baby jogger!

Angie

• RunInPeace Amateur 34 posts since
    Jan 8, 2010
    13. Mar 17, 2010 6:29 AM (in response to Angiesrunning)

Good Morning All!

It's a simply gorgeous day here.  Actually, this whole week will be gloriously sunny and in the upper  sixties/low seventies. And guess what? I am stuck inside running on the  treadmill because we have contractors finishing our basement...grrrrrrr.  I suppose I should be grateful I have a way to get my run in, but man  it's just gorgeous out. I did get in 3.1 yesterday, so today I am  cleaning and playing outside and walking the dog when my son gets home.  Hubby started his new job Monday after being off for 2 weeks upon  returning to the country. That time was so nice.I hope everyone saw my  personals at the end of last week...I was a little late.

Tracy M- Vent away anytime. That's  why we are here. I do hope your DH becomes more supportive as time goes  on. These stresses are the reason we need to run in the first  place...lol. Isn't this weather amazing??!!!

Marie-So  sorry to hear about your 17 yr. old. That must be miserable for you  guys, and I hope the rest of you all stay healthy. OH! And awesome job  at being in better shape than your hubby

TYKY-  You are my  Tricare sister...lol. I SO feel you on that one. We haven't had too  many bad experiences, and some really good, but when they are bad...they  are bad. Keep pushing and advocating for yourself. Give 'em hell girl.

Karen- Thank you! If you had told me a year ago I'd be running 4.5 miles  (although slow..lol), I would have told you that you were smoking  something...HA!I think it's so great of your husband to take charge of  his health and get off of those meds! Amazing. Take care of that leg so  you can rock that race, and hopefully those allergies won't get the best  of you.

Ali- I admire your ability to work from home. I stopped teaching after I had my son, but I do miss it sometimes. I may look into teaching or consulting in education from home someday.

Angie- Congrats on your 60 pound weight loss!  No easy task, and it's inspiring. Working out together with hubby is so great. BTW, my father's family is from DeRidder. Not many people have heard of it...lol.

Have a great day ladies...off to listen to more drilling, banging, etc in my basement

Tracy P.

2010 Races:

February 28, 2010-Love the Run You're With 5k (rescheduled from the 14th) 37:26

April 2010- Ft. Belvoir Spring Has Sprung 5k

Please keep Haiti in your thoughts and prayers

• Angiesrunning Amateur 32 posts since
    Nov 18, 2009
    14. Mar 17, 2010 7:04 AM (in response to TMachen)

Tracy P-- I live about 35 min. from Leesville-- not that far away from DeRidder!  I believe DeRidder is in Vernon parish--I'm one parish over in Sabine   small world, isn't it?

Angie

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...