Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1889970 Views 11,335 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 9:16 AM by BreezyB24 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 756 Previous Next
  • kwmb Expert 48 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Mar 15, 2010 4:47 PM (in response to Staceyacey)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club.... 3/1/2010 C25K thread

Hello everyone!

Wiseguy, I already can't sing you enough praise! Thank you again, for all the positive feedback! I dont know why it takes a website community to make me feel better about myself...but its already helped so much.

I'm reflexing back to this morning, my W1D1....and I still cringe at how lame I probably looked, but get this...there was only myself out there at 6:30am, and a guy walking his dog.....he paced himself infront of me, and I didnt feel so alone out there...but it was so peaceful, can't believe at that moment; the entire city to seem asleep still....anyway, moral of my story, it was early enough to be out starting my c25k, and noone to make me feel insecure! LoL

I'm so excited at the range of people on here, in terms of weight, age, etc.... I guess I'm just glad not to be the only beginner in this, and the only overweight one...too bad we all didnt live closer to one another, lol...oh well!

I can't believe I'm going to say this next part, but I'm looking forward to doing W1D2...and so on and so forth.....I'm for once, excited about something exercise related!!!! And love reading all the feedback, so continue posting everyone!! =)

Started C25K on March 15/2010

~kristen~

"If you always do what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got" ..so lets switch it up!

• The Castaway Runner Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    31. Mar 15, 2010 5:26 PM (in response to Wideguy)

270 pounder and starting C25K tomorrow!  Don't even have decent shoes yet, but I am starting anyway! As we used to say growing up, "here goes nothing!"

• missmis99 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    32. Mar 15, 2010 6:31 PM (in response to Wideguy)

I am so excited to find this page.  I am 32 y/o and 235 lbs.  I completed W2D1 today and I have to admit that it wasn't too bad.  However, I have heard that week 3 and 4 are the worst.  I am running on a treadmill, so when I say "running" I am at 4.0.  Does that count as running?  My walking is b/w 2.8 and 3.0.

I am getting married in August and am using it as my motivation to get in shape!

I worry b/c my heartrate goes into the 160s when I run which causes the treadmill to beep at me b/c it is out of my "safe" zone.  Is this normal for someone my size?

I am anxious to keep going.

• mikeydoordont Amateur 23 posts since
    Mar 31, 2009
    34. Mar 15, 2010 8:21 PM (in response to Wideguy)

wide guy so glad to see others out there like me, few years ago on a dare  i slowly got myself in what i called half way decent shape started off at just over 275 and a heavy smoker and did a half marathon, and fell in love with it ened up doing severle 5ks and even did some small sprint triathlons, then disaster,   duirng a thanksgiving trukey trot i partially snapped an achilles, so after few years off and unfortunitly the weight came back, ive decided  to get back at it, will i ever be a runner, no, but i perfer as john bingham states a penguin, a waddler, a wogger, point is no matter how fast or how over weight you are the main thing is jsut getting out there and trying your best and haveing fun the c25k is a great program what i started off with , i can proudly say that since comeing back after this and useing the program  impleased that my walk/jog is in the area of 48/50 min for  5k but im haveing a blast and feelign better all the time, perhaps ill even finally stop the smoking, anxiously awaiting the 24th of april for the ky derby mini marathon to get here and give her my best shot, im shooting for a nice even 4:00 hrs  anything better is even better my pr for it was 3:41:10  maybe ill make that.

good luck all you 200+ers and im proud to be one of you

papa johns 10 miler 4/3/10  2:27:55

KY DERBY FESTIVAL MINI MARATHON 3:01:10

wally bright bake off 1.5 MILE 5/18/10 18:08

melt down 7/17/10 1st 31:10:00 2nd 34:02 3rd 33:45

taterbug 30 mile ultra thon 11/6/10 unable to compete rather wait a year then get a dnf

start weight 1/1/10 274.01 2 packs a day, current 236.03  less than 1 goal 211.00 1/1/11 and no packs

• Kerrywm Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010
    35. Mar 15, 2010 8:28 PM (in response to Wideguy)

What a great little group!

I did w1d1 yesterday.  Today I didnt do anything.  I know I should be adding more cardio (walking) to build my endurance, but I really do not want to burn myself out like I always do...  also my shins are sore today.  Anyone have any tips for what to do for that?  TOmorrow I will tackle day 2!

I am really happy this group is here, I think it will really help push me through.

What about eating?  Anyone making changes there?  I am having a hard time changing my habits, but I know I will have to!

• mikeydoordont Amateur 23 posts since
    Mar 31, 2009
    36. Mar 15, 2010 8:39 PM (in response to Kerrywm)

one lil trick have i used would get horrible shin splints in the past is to freeze some styrofoam cups with water, then right after my walk/run i would use them to give myself an ice massage on my shins and the knees rit eally helped wiht the day after soreness also works great for the quads, if you get acheing arches i have frozen 20 soft drink bottles and used them right under my arches and rolled my feet back and forth over them a few mins

papa johns 10 miler 4/3/10  2:27:55

KY DERBY FESTIVAL MINI MARATHON 3:01:10

wally bright bake off 1.5 MILE 5/18/10 18:08

melt down 7/17/10 1st 31:10:00 2nd 34:02 3rd 33:45

taterbug 30 mile ultra thon 11/6/10 unable to compete rather wait a year then get a dnf

start weight 1/1/10 274.01 2 packs a day, current 236.03  less than 1 goal 211.00 1/1/11 and no packs

• fsorangejuice Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 11, 2010
    38. Mar 16, 2010 2:07 AM (in response to Wideguy)

I love this! 230 lbs and want to re restart jogging and when I say restart I mean from like 5 years ago restart. LOL I was reading some of the tips, great ideas! Esp re shin splints, until I read that I forgot how badly I used to get them and I weighed 70 lbs less back then!

I am itching to start this but am recovering from a pretty badly torn ligament in my ankle. I don't know how long recovery will take but walking even for a few short hours is extremely painful.

It's so disapointing that it happened literally the say before I was going to start!

Excited to hear stories and gain lots of tips. Keep em coming!

• reaves19 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    39. Mar 16, 2010 6:36 AM (in response to missmis99)

MissMiss99 - first off congrats on your upcoming wedding! We are both around the same running/walking rate and trust me if you are anything like me that is a great acheivement! I did W2D1 yesterday and was at a 4.0 at my run and 2.8-3.0 on my walk and I thought I was a champ! You know what's funny is you said you are starting at 235 to get in shape for your wedding but I was at 235 when I got married and am trying to get down to that.

I agree with everyone WideGuy great job on the site. It really makes me feel better knowing there are others out doing the same thing in similar shape around the same days! It's like our own little running group!

• jww9618 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    40. Mar 16, 2010 7:43 AM (in response to Wideguy)

After reading this thread the past few days I finally decided to post something.  I'm 25, 6'4" and weighed in yesterday at 291 lbs.  I played sports in high school but was never in great shape.  When I got to college I put on the freshman 15 and the sophmore 15 and have never been the same.  My wife and I had our first child 5 weeks ago and we have both been inspired to lose weight and get in shape.  I'm doing WeightWatchers and C25K to lose 50 lbs by the end of summer.  I started W1D1 on Monday and it went surprisingly well.  I felt like I had more energy at work and am ready for W1D2 tomorrow.  My goal is to run my fist 5k on Memorial Day and maybe a 10k sometime in the fall.  I've never enjoyed running but it feels like something has changed this time.  Thanks to everyone here for motivating me to keep going.

• JanHere Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 16, 2010
    41. Mar 16, 2010 8:08 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Hello everyone. It's so nice to find a group like this. I am Jan, 5'7" and weigh 230 pounds. I started with W1D1 yesterday and I was lieterally gasping for breath at the end. I want to lose 60 pounds and I want to lose half of that by December when I visit my family. I have always been scared of running and I feel that if I can conquer that, I can do whatever I want.

• kwmb Expert 48 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010
    42. Mar 16, 2010 10:42 AM (in response to reaves19)

I can relate 100% with Reaves...I was about 230lbs this past summer, and we had our wedding in Las Vegas..in August!!! omg it was brutal, the 110 degree weather! LoL.....I hate looking at my body in our wedding pictures, but it was still a fantastic day, nonetheless! =)

I do W1D2 tomorrow, and I'm pumped!!!

Started C25K on March 15/2010

~kristen~

"If you always do what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got" ..so lets switch it up!

• justdoitkc Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 16, 2010
    43. Mar 16, 2010 11:59 AM (in response to ct422)

Cindy,

I am right there with you.  I am a 45 year old who weighs 228 at 5'4.  The weight is not only embarrassing but keeping me from doing the things I love to do.  I am a Pre-K teacher who adores my job and my students but my weight makes my feet and legs hurt so badly at night that I can barely be the mother and wife I need to be. 

I wear Nike Shox because they seem to be better for my back.  If anyone knows anything better please let me know. 

Any suggestions for a download for a newbie that needs to begin crawling my way back to being healthy??? I am going to walk in a 5k in about 3 weeks and just hope to make it through. 

• reaves19 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    44. Mar 16, 2010 12:31 PM (in response to kwmb)

Ha my wedding was in Texas the state of endless summer and humidity!

I really like the ideas about the frozen cup and am wondering if my boss will think I'm nuts or running a fever if I have ice bottles under my feet. Had to pop two aleve because my hip is so out of whack after yesterdays run. I really hate taking pills but the pain is where I don't think ice can help it. I'm hoping it gets better for my W2D2 tomorrow session

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...