Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1335 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2010 1:18 PM by TomHorn
jonahsmomi Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 2, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 16, 2010 4:48 PM

Does any other newbie runner have strange aches and pains?

Help!!!!  I just started walking/running 3 weeks ago.  I walk/run 3-4 times a week and 2 times a week I am doing yoga.  I am training on a treadmill.  The problem is that my ankles are killing me.  What am I doing wrong?  How can I prevent these aches?  Is anyone else having strange aches and pains?

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009

Hi there

While I am definitely not new to running in the least, I remember being a new runner very well.  At first it seems that absolutely everything hurts at one point or another.

I am thinking this is simply a classic symptom of too much too soon.

The other thing I am thinking is that you may have the wrong shoes for your foot type and may be rolling (pronating) too much for the shoe you are in, and the shoe just isn't designed to support you properly.  Did you get your shoes at a running store?

Since you started running a few weeks ago, your body probably hasn't adjusted to the impact it is taking just yet, and you simply may be going too many miles for your body right now.

I have a few questions- how many miles/minutes are you running

Also, the treadmill is not a very stable surface in my mind... you may want to consider outside, I know I feel best running outside, but that is me.

I have some suggestions as to how to strengthen your ankles and perhaps will help you

Use a wobble board- a round disk on what looks like a ball- you roll in circles one way, and then the other... repeat several times, a decent gym will have one for you to use.

Ankle inversions/eversions with resistance (use a band to resist and simply point your toes toward your mid line and away from it)

Ankle A-B-C's with the resistance- literally spell out the alphabet with your toes while using a resistance band.

Foam roller on your peroneal (muscle on the outside of your calf area on the outside of your body)

The other thought-

Try walking a bit, or doing intervals.  Run for perhaps five minutes, then walk a minute... you'd be surprised at how that really strenthens you up as a runner.  I started running that way, it's called the Galloway method.

Let me know how you are doing and I hope it goes well for you, Running is such a great sport and I love it.

• SharynLS Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 7, 2010

Runnergal has great advice!

I just wanted to say that I am also new to running.... and I think I have weird aches and pains everywhere!!!   BUT...it reminds me that I am alive! 

Moe’s Firecracker 5K 2008 – 50:07:14

John Clay 5K 2008 – 50:30

Pilot Club 5K 2008 – 49:45:44

Race for the Cure 3/13/10 - 49:39:12

http://community.active.com/people/SharynLS/blog

• TomHorn Expert 42 posts since
    Dec 30, 2009

Very common. Your body needs time to get used to the new activity.

As I always recommend, make sure you are fitted properly for shoes at a store that specializes in running shoes. They can make a big difference. Also, if you are not stretching and/or warming up properly before starting your runs doing so will also help.

Other than that, it's patience ...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points