Skip navigation

2890 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2010 6:33 PM by SharynLS RSS
SharynLS Amateur 22 posts since
Feb 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 16, 2010 6:56 PM

Do I try the Tri.....?

I am a 40 year old stay at home mom.  I am 5 foot 9 and weigh in at 235 (down from 258- 3 months ago)

I started training for a sprint triathlon about 5 years ago...then got pregnant and didn't do it.  I always told myself I would do one by the time I turned 40.

I turn 41 in 4 days!!

I have finished 4 5Ks - my best time being 49:39  

There is a sprint triathlon in my town on June 6th.  It starts with a 5K run, then 12 mile bike ride and then a 1/4 mile swim in the Gulf.

I am not worried about the swimming.  I know I can ride the bike, and I know that my 5K time will improve with the training I will be doing.

I think I can finish before 2 hours.

I have gone to the website to register, but I keep stalling.

I am just worried about being the last runner or biker out on the course and getting lost or forgotten....

Should I just go for it.....or maybe wait until next year when I have more time to prepare?

Moe’s Firecracker 5K 2008 – 50:07:14

John Clay 5K 2008 – 50:30

Pilot Club 5K 2008 – 49:45:44

Race for the Cure 3/13/10 - 49:39:12

http://community.active.com/people/SharynLS/blog

• tom360 Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 5, 2010
    1. Mar 17, 2010 6:47 AM (in response to SharynLS)
    Re: Do I try the Tri.....?

You should go for it! Dont put it off until next year, sounds like you are confident on the swim and bike but need to focus on the run a bit. Most races are very well marked and its not likely you will get lost...and I find that the participants and the people that run the races are very supportive.

Good luck on your training and keep us posted here!

Tom

goodtri.org

• kapfast Pro 53 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. Mar 17, 2010 6:54 AM (in response to SharynLS)

Sharyn,

If your goal is to finish a triathlon, then I think you are more than ready! It sounds like you have picked a good one to start. Don't worry about the where you will finish, all triathletes have been at the back of the pack. I finished last place in my age group when I attempted my first ocean swim - but I still enjoyed the race and felt a sense of accomplishment for what I completed.

Go and enjoy the experience and the energy, and I gaurantee you will finish thinking about when you will sign up for your next triathlon. And even if you do finish last, think about all the people who don't do triathlons - you finished ahead of them.

Good Luck!

http://trigratitude.blogspot.com/

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Mar 17, 2010 11:47 AM (in response to SharynLS)

If you got the time to train for it and have the fire in your belly to do the training then go for it. focus on the goal of finishing and don't worry about anything else - you are miles ahead of folks who don't have the guts to try it like you do.  you can do this.  get a plan and get going!

by the way the races I've done the biggest cheers usually go for the last person going in.  triathletes are a surprisingly friendly bunch and we recognize how hard it is to do this and how much guts it takes to even attempt this challenge. we respect all finishers who try their best

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    5. Mar 18, 2010 7:54 AM (in response to SharynLS)

Congratulations! Interesting that it's a reverse triathlon (run-bike-swim).

I hope you'll stay connected here & let us know what questions come up during your training etc.

Do you know if the swim is along the shore or an out & back?

Will you have access to open-water swims to train in? I know you are comfortable with the swim. But since it's last, there's more risk involved & I want you to finish strong & happy! :-)

Best to you and your training!

Sara

p.s. & Happy Birthday!!

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    6. Mar 18, 2010 8:49 AM (in response to SharynLS)

Enter Athena and pace yourself , try to finish the run with your breathing settled (sip water to keep airway open). Your bike setup has to be efficient and use your strengths. The swim is all about finishing...no DNF. It will be the best $75 you ever spent and the results stand. Save your number and frame it...I started @ 49 to beat the BIG 50

• Duck1234 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 18, 2010
    7. Mar 18, 2010 9:52 AM (in response to SharynLS)

Congratulations SharynLS on your commitment to trying a Tri!!!!! I don't think that there is a runner out there who was not hesitant about trying a new race distance at some point in their running career. You're stepping it up a notch and taking on 2 other disciplines plus the running. Anytime I tried something new, my goal was to finish regardless of time. Once you finish the Tri, then work on finishing in a specific time. Enjoy your accomplishment when you cross the finish line!!!!!

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Mar 18, 2010 11:16 AM (in response to SharynLS)

GREAT!  you're going to have a blast! keep us posted and let us knwo if u have any questions.  good luck and have fun!

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points