Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

302032 Views 1,919 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2014 6:38 AM by AnnCarbone RSS Go to original post 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 ... 128 Previous Next
  • Barngirl Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    975. Mar 17, 2010 7:03 PM (in response to susanbarron)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

W1D2 completed! It felt good and my knee feels good. This time I walked 5min, stretched, and then started my podcast. After I was done I stretched again. In spite of sitting out for 2 weeks, these W1 runs seem much easier than the 1st time I did them. I know they get harder, but I will take them 1 at a time.

Happy Running

• ALMA the RUNNING RN Pro 181 posts since
    Feb 2, 2010
    976. Mar 17, 2010 8:55 PM (in response to Suzybelle)
    GEEZ, I haven't posted for about 2 days & you guys are at least 2 pages ahead of me!!  Kudos to all & everyone's accomplishments.  SYLVIA, it's so great you signed up for an event too!!  March 27 is kind of scary to me.  I go to the chopping block on April 10th.  The name of my event is:  The STING.  How ironic, eh?  Like I don't know it's going to STING so they're trying to let me know in some sort of sick subtle way?!?  LOL!!  I CAN'T WAIT!!  Like SuzyBelle says, then I'll have an ending pace to beat, & memories, & PICTURES......I think half the nursing staff is going to show up that day just to see if I really do it.
    About the ongoing discussion r.e. the beginnings of this program.  I'm sold, lock stock & barrel on the efficacy of C25K.  I must admit I had my doubts in the beginning.  BUT---after following the directions word for word, (well, up til the last week, anyway) and repeating those 2 days at the end of weeks 3 & 4, I couldn't be any happier or more satisfied with anything I've accomplished that I can possibly think of.  All you new people:  should try real hard not to look forward any farther than the day you're getting ready to do because the change-ups really can be intimidating.  But it really really works.  The program is hands-down the greatest thing I've ever done for me, and my body, and my loved ones who are so thrilled with the new me.  I don't mean the new body.  I mean the mood, the confidence, the enthusiasm.  I just REEK of HAPPY here lately.   The other thing is, some brilliant person on here told me not too long ago, "...once you get into about the 5th week or so, the hard part is over.  The rest is just mind-over-matter."  SHE WAS SO RIGHT!!
    As for the week---I guess if I have to pick a day I'd say I just completed W8D3-PLUS.  I've gone running 4 consecutive days in a row not on purpose.  I was on track with my every-other-day runs when our weather turned spectacular & all I wanted to do was go outside and walk, maybe trot a little bit on my rest days.  In both cases, next thing I knew I had comfortably completed a 30-35 minute run on Monday, Tues., & Weds. after doing 1.7 miles last Sunday.  I'm not winded, I'm not sore, I'm just sailing along & don't want to stop.  I literally have to force myself to stop.  We did the math & figure I'm doing about 4.0 mph.  I keep waiting for lightning to strike & throw me in a ditch or something but it's not happening.  Hmmmm!!  Anyway, no running for me tomorrow as I'll be flying across the country all day.  My next run will be Friday in FLORIDA!!  WOOT!!  I THINK I'M GOING TO GRADUATE FROM HERE IN ABOUT A WEEK!!!

NO PACE IS TOO SLOW!!! 

Started C25K February 2, 2010 at age 54.9.  GRADUATED C25K March 23, 2010...Wooo HOOT!! 

Ran 5K 'STING' on April 10th, 2010, 41:44 

Ran 5K B.E.S.T. Run/Walk April 24, 2010, 39:24

Ran 1st Annual "GO RED" 5K Run/Walk May 8, 2010 42:46

Ran RELAY FOR LIFE 5K May 22, 2010  37:46 

Ran first 10K Troy Strawberry Festival June 6, 2010 1:25:40 

• Dallasdoll08 Pro 111 posts since
    Feb 11, 2010

W5D2 is done.  Over the whole 32 minutes I made the 2 mile goal so I call it good.  The first segment was a little difficult but by the second run it was much easier and I even extended the run 2 more minutes.  I figure if I'm going to run a 20 minute stretch on Friday 2 more minutes today wouldn't hurt me.  However, when I was finished and through stretching my hip is bothering me.  That concerns me because I sure don't want to have to stop due to an injury and then have to start over.  I'll see how the rest of today and tomorrow goes.  May take a two day rest before D3.  My weekend runs go much better because I'm not jumping out of bed at 5am and on the treadmill at 5:30am.  Alma I don't know about the hard part being over at week 5.  I'm doing it but I won't say it's easier.  To me it feels like it's harder.  Not the breathing, that's fine, but the legs feel tired.  Could it be my HR is too high and that makes me more tired?  I don't know if I can run any slower than I already am.  I ran the first segment at 3.8 and the second at 4.0.  According to my HR monitor it stays in the upper zone rather than the fat burning zone when I'm running but it drops back down rather quickly.

It's great to read all the posts.  I always look forward to coming here to post my progress and read about everyone's runs.

Everyone have a great day.

Linda

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    978. Mar 18, 2010 7:14 AM (in response to Dallasdoll08)

Look at your runner's go!!!!! So much enthusiasm in here! It is wonderful!!!! I am on the Mighty Masters thread with disneygal, but I was one of the original posters on this thread way back on page 2 or 3 when I first started C25K!!! Reading through some of your post makes me smile since I so clearly remember having these same conversations about dreading the 20 and 30 min runs later in the program! Please do not dread them! They are very doable. All of us that were so scared of them breezed right on through and you will also!

I cannot remember who it was that posted about doing all of their training on the treadmill and is now trying to take the running outside....but there is a article in Runners world I think it is in this month's issue about this very thing. The article recommends when you start running outside after running on a TM that you run for 1 min and walk for 2 for a minimum of 30 min. The next run run for 2 and walk for 3, the next run, run for 3 and walk for 2 and just gradually build up to running for 30 mn outside. Running outside is so much different than running on a TM. On a TM you are just trying to keep up with the belt. Running outside you are having to propel your own body weight and it takes much more muscle strength and cardio endurance than running inside. So when you take your runs outside, do not be disappointed if you can not run as easily as you did inside! It will come in time!

Congrats to you all and WoooooooooooHooooooooooooo on signing up for your first 5K runs!!! You will love the experience!!!!

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• KathyHG Pro 82 posts since
    Jan 4, 2010
    979. Mar 18, 2010 8:12 AM (in response to mimiisarunner)

W5D2 done!! It was not as difficult as it sounded.  I just kept telling myself "think of Alma" and I made it.  My intention was to do W5D1 again as I was beat. But when the 5 minute time came up on the podcast, I continued for the entire eight.  The second eight was not as easy, but I got through it.  Two eight minute runs with five minutes in between are much different than 20 minutes straight.  My legs, too, were just like cement blocks. I hope that goes away soon.

I am spending the weekend with my sisters, the runners, in one e-mail it said bring your running clothes. Eeek!  They run 1/2 marathons.....I walk faster than I run. Hopefully they won't think I am too pathetic.

Good to hear the weather is getting better for you runners in snow country.

Congratulations to everyone....you rock!

Big Sur 1/2 Marathon 5K 11.04.09  ~57:00

Rio Resolution Run 3-mile 01.01.10  53:22

Fort Ord Foray 5k 01.17.10    49:02

Pacific Grove Together with Love 5K  02.14.10  46:29 

Toro Park 5K 04.17.10   46:54 

GRADUATED C25K--MAY 1, 2010

SF Bay to Breakers 12K 05.16.10 1:57: 41

Progress Not Perfection 

• Curtis721 Legend 203 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    980. Mar 18, 2010 8:18 AM (in response to Suzybelle)

Today is my rest day before W8D1.  I am SO stiff.  Ugh.  I should have read that article on the transition off the treadmill.  I for sure didn't do that.  The last three days running I had to push through some hip pain.  Kind of a burning  - but yesterday it faded out about half way through.  I think I'm paying for yesterday's final burst of speed today.  I walked around the block last night (so pretty out!) and another 2 mile walk this morning.  Just to see how tomorrow may look, I tried to run for 1/2 block.  More like lurching and hobbling.  LOL.  It was on a bit of a downhill slope so it was hard to stop.  Sheesh! The walking must use totally different muscles than running,

AlmaNurse:  You said you aren't stiff.  Anyone still get stiff and sore after your run?  I always do, but walk it out a little in the afternoon and on teh off day.  Does anyone know stretches for hips?  That seems to be my problem area.

One victory: after 4 weeks at 204, I finally saw 202.5 on the scale this morning.  !!!

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

Started C25K Jan. 19, 2010 - Graduated April 14, 2010

If I didn't have so far to go, the journey would end too soon.

• Suzybelle Pro 65 posts since
    Jan 30, 2010
    981. Mar 18, 2010 6:16 PM (in response to Curtis721)

Curtis -- Congratulations on your weight loss.  That's wonderful!  Sounds like I was a little hard on you.  I apologize.  Way back when, one of the gals talked about how much doing yoga stretches really helped.  I purchased a couple of DVDs when I  started the  first time, back in February.  They really helped me from getting stiff.  I've been thinking that I need to get back in that habit.  Pilates might also benefit you.  There is one exercise that I do from time to time.  Here's how you do it: lay down on the floor on your back with your arms stretched out like a T, bend one knee, raise that leg toward the ceiling and v-e-r-y slowly lower it across your body until your knee almost touches the floor.  If you raised your right leg, then you should be aiming to touch your right knee to the floor on your left side.  Don't push your knee to the floor.  Just let it go over as far as it will go.  The idea is to rotate the spine and stretch out the muscles.  You should try to keep your shoulders on the floor in order to maximize the rotation.  Gently raise your leg back up, bend your knee and straighten the leg out on the floor.  Repeat on the other side.   If you find your leg is too heavy for your back to support it, try rotating with a bent knee instead of a straight leg.  Let me know if you try it.  Another one is to stand behind a chair, or some other piece of furniture of comparable height, behind it by about three feet or so.  Raise your arms over your head and, curling through the spine, lean forward so that you grab hold of the top of the  chairback.  Lean back through your hips to give them a good stretch.  This can also be done from a kneeling position placing your hands on the seat of the chair.  From a seated position, lean forward and grab your feet.  Put a pillow between your chest and your legs to help support your back.

Started C25K on 3/10/2010 (second start date).

Completed:

1st 5K: Mother's Day Run -- Upper Arlington, Ohio, on May 8, 2010. : approx. 55 min

Feb 2, 2010
    982. Mar 18, 2010 7:14 PM (in response to Curtis721)
    It's official, after spending all day in the air I'm smack in the middle of FLORIDA!!!  Going to go do W8D2 or 3 in the morning!!  (I've lost count.  Just going running & calling it part of week 8.)
    CURT CONGRATS on moving that dratted scale, I SO KNOW how hard that is to do.    And doing week 8, my oh my, how far we've all come!  Yes I'm running without pain, stiffness or difficulty but I don't run nearly as fast as you do.  The two most important tips for me have been purchasing really good shoes in week 2, and not trying to run too fast.  LINDA, I don't know for sure what speed I'm running at but my husband thinks it's about 4.0 based on my time & distance.  I do know one thing, whenever I feel "bogged" down, "winded" or "lead legs" it's always relieved by SLOWING DOWN and slow down is what I do.  Results are almost instantaneous.  Also, I never never never never run without the 5-min. warm-up walk & the 5 min. cool-down when I'm done.  So far it's worked for me.  And the 5-min warm-up seems like all I need to run well.  AND----I was scared to death to try transitioning from the TM to outside & it turned out to be a wonderful thing, best way to run in the world (for me anyway) & I don't think I'll ever be able to use the TM again!!
    KATHY I do SO remember those week 5 runs.  The first 8 minute run was when my ear bud kept falling out because it was so cold outside.  Kept me so busy catching it & sticking it back in my ear, next thing I knew the 8 minutes was over!!  I couldn't believe it!! 
    WHAT A JOURNEY THIS HAS BEEN FOR ME, and rather than being almost over, I feel like I'm only beginning.  I will call tomorrow W8D2 so I can say I'm a day ahead of Curt!  Running in FLORIDA!!  WOOT!!! 

NO PACE IS TOO SLOW!!! 

Started C25K February 2, 2010 at age 54.9.  GRADUATED C25K March 23, 2010...Wooo HOOT!! 

Jan 30, 2010

W2D2 is done.  Good, good, good.  No real complaints, only that I never seemed to fully recover between run sets.  However, my legs were really working hard this morning and it feels good.

Alma,  I'm happy for you!  I hope you have a wonderful vacation and let me know what it's like to run on the beach.  Enjoy!

Happy running everybody 

Completed:

1st 5K: Mother's Day Run -- Upper Arlington, Ohio, on May 8, 2010. : approx. 55 min

• Sylvia1960 Pro 89 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010
    984. Mar 19, 2010 6:05 AM (in response to disneygal2)

W8D3 DONE, so on to W9 - yay!!! 

Alma - I am SO jealous you get to run in the wonderful Florida sun!  What city or beach?  I grew up in FL and MISS IT!!!! 

Still on the TM today, as I still don't know of a place that is busy with people where I feel safe going alone to run - until I do, guess it's a TM for me.  However, kept the incline at a 1.0 the whole way so hope that is working some additional muscles.

Happy running and Happy weekend to all!

Welcome to all our new "runners"! 

Started C25K January 25, 2010

Graduated at my first 5K, March 27, 2010 

Botanical Boogie 5K, March 27, 2010  -  38:19

• Curtis721 Legend 203 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    985. Mar 19, 2010 9:52 AM (in response to Suzybelle)

SuzyBelle: You were hard on me?   Don't remember. No worries.  No one can be harder on my than I am on myself (except maybe my boss).   I excel at being hard on myself--a lifetime of experience to thank for that.    Thanks for the stretching tip.  My hips are still my Achilles heel. 

W8D1 done.  Sort of.  I ran 2.25 miles in about 35 minutes.  I was really shooting for 2.5, but hit unexpected construction coming back on the Strand right at the 2.25 marker.  The detour was up the stairs and I just couldn't go on.  (You want me to do stairs now?!) I didn't think to go around on the beach side and keep on going.  I think I'll count this as a repeat of W7D3 and try again, maybe going north from the pier next time.

I was so stiff and sore yesterday I didn't think I would make it today, but I did by giving new meaning to the word S L O W.  LOL.  It still takes me about 5 minutes into the running to really warm up, even after walking FAST for 5 minutes.

JC Penny's has a sale on Nike socks today and tomorrow.  I wonder if they have those in BLACK?

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

Started C25K Jan. 19, 2010 - Graduated April 14, 2010

If I didn't have so far to go, the journey would end too soon.

Feb 2, 2010

That little speck in my new profile picture is me, running today in Florida.  See the palm trees?!  WOOT!!!

NO PACE IS TOO SLOW!!! 

Feb 2, 2010
    987. Mar 19, 2010 8:09 PM (in response to Sylvia1960)
    SYLVIA, we are at our daughter & son-in-law's place in DeLand, about 30 miles west of New Symrna Beach.  We drove over to New Symrna today & I checked-out the beach & may try to run on it tomorrow, I don't know yet.  Today we ran in a local park after my son-in-law got home from work.  On Monday morning my husband & I will drive up to spend 4 days at our son's house in Saint Augustine.  That's where the grandbaby is!!  I can't wait!! 
    Ran W8D-something or other, day 3? for 28 minutes at the local duck park here & had a blast.  It was 73 degrees out & supposed to hit 80 tomorrow.  I CAN'T WAIT!!  HAPPY RUNNING EVERYBOODY!! 

NO PACE IS TOO SLOW!!! 

Jan 30, 2010

Alma -- It's so good to hear from you on your trip.  Your excitement and enthusiasm are soooo palpable.  LOVE your picture.  You must be having a blast: the weather, the ocean, running and family!  ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!

Completed:

• Sylvia1960 Pro 89 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010

Alma - Sounds like FUN!  I grew up and married in Winter Park, FL and spent just about EVERY weekend at New Smyrna Beach in my teenage years so not only know that well, but also passed Deland going there.  New Smyrna Beach is a nice beach to run on (especially now that no cars are allowed).  The sand is nice and hard packed unlike Destin or Panama City so it's much easier to walk/run on.  Enjoy those grandbaby's and your time on FL!  I'm sure your family is PROUD! 

Started C25K January 25, 2010

Graduated at my first 5K, March 27, 2010 

Botanical Boogie 5K, March 27, 2010  -  38:19

1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 ... 128 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...