Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6888 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2010 10:57 PM by P-Ro RSS 1 2 Previous Next
jkruer01 Rookie 6 posts since
Mar 2, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 2, 2010 7:13 PM

300+lb Club...C25K started 3/1/2010

Hey Everyone,

On January 1st my wife decided she was going to run a mini-marathon in April.  Her training is still going very well.  Considering I am much less athletic than her and not in nearly as good of shape as she is I decided I was going to start running but had no aspirations of running a mini.  I ran on a 1/9th mile track and would job a lap and then walk a lap.  I worked my way up to 3 miles of jogging a lap and then walking a lap.  Unfortunately, one day while I was playing basketball I landed on my ankle wrong and severely sprained my left ankle (swelling, bruising, ugly, nasty, etc).  I was unable to run and I limped when I walked.  From there my left knee started bothering me as well. 

I finally got to the point where I felt I could start running again and I found the C25K program.  I started yesterday and things went well.  My left hip hurt but my ankle and knee were fine.  WOW! I really lost everything that I had gained from earlier in the year!   Anyways, I am 6'3" and 313lbs.  Hopefully I will be able to follow the C25K program from start to finish without any injuries.

See ya,

Jeremy

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    1. Mar 3, 2010 7:22 AM (in response to jkruer01)
    Re: 300+lb Club...C25K started 3/1/2010

Hey Jeremy,

Congrats on getting started. Sounds like you and I are in similar shape, I'm 6'1" and 290 and started C25K again on Monday the 1st. My goal is  be down 100 ponds by my 40th birthday, Jan. 5, 2011. My first time doing C25K  was back in August and I made it to week 4 before I let myself get derailed by weather and laziness and a lot of excuses. I was down to 265 then and now back up.  So we're in very similar boats. Stay in touch and we can compare notes.

My first day back on Monday was  better than expected, managed to do a couple 2.5 and 3 minutes run intervals  mixed with walking. Did 40 minutes on the stationary bake last night and will get back out tonight running but will drop back to a strict week one timing to make sure I don't push too hard.

I'll be looking for you around the forums. Good luck!

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• murray64 Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    3. Mar 3, 2010 5:00 PM (in response to jkruer01)

Hey just to give you an idea of myself I am in the 320's down from 350's I finished the C25K program have been running or as you may have read in some of my other posts "slogging" now for about 3 months my goal now is the OHR program and so far that has been pretty good (week 2).  If you have a Ipod they have a great interval podcast that has the C25K program with the intervals built into the music and I found that tool to be invaluable.  Good Luck take care.

• ksrunner78 Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 24, 2010
    4. Mar 4, 2010 4:41 PM (in response to jkruer01)

About 6 months ago I hit 321 pounds.  My highest weight ever.  It all hit me when I took a trip and almost had to get a seatbelt extender.  I started running, albeit not much or very fast at first, but week by week things just get better.  I am down to 284 pounds and the pain in my knees and feet is getting a lot better.  I have signed up for a 4 miler on March 13th, kind of scared. I havent run a race in years.  Anyways, great job on starting the program and good luck to everyone.

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:29-31

Dec 15, 2007
    5. Mar 12, 2010 8:01 AM (in response to jkruer01)

Havent seen any post lately in here.  I am running my first 5K next saturday and excited to do so wondering how others were doing????????  Hopefully still going strong.

• P-Ro Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 16, 2009
    7. Mar 17, 2010 8:38 AM (in response to jkruer01)

Being a big guy certainly is more difficult for distance running. I'm 6'1", and tip the scales at 322.  I'm actually down quite bit from my starting point.  Ran my first relay half (6 miles), Shamrock'n half marathon this weekend.  I started running in January and am training for the my first half marathon in May.  My goal is under 3 hours.  I joined a running club and have lots of support from friends. Overall, it has been a great experience and I look forward to crossing the finish line.

• ksrunner78 Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 24, 2010
    9. Mar 17, 2010 7:39 PM (in response to jkruer01)

I finished a 4 miler on Saturday.  My goal was around 45 minutes and I came in at 45:38 so I was happy about that.  The course was really hilly but I handled them okay.  My weight loss has kind of plateaued a bit, I think I need to change something up maybe more miles or intervals or something.

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:29-31

Nov 16, 2009
    10. Mar 18, 2010 12:28 AM (in response to jkruer01)

Thank you jkruer01.  Running 6 miles was a good starting point for my first race.  My training has taken me up to 8 miles, so the conditioning was in place prior to the race.  The great part about distance running is you slowly build your way up, maybe increasing a quarter to half a mile in the beginning, then moving up a mile each week.  Before January, the furthest I ever ran was about 2.5 miles (back in high school).  After I started training, we were running over 3 miles the second week.  The important part is pace.  Right now, I train with a run / walk approach. The walk breaks allow you to go much further than you normally would be able to do.

As far as shin splints, have tried running without stretching?  While it goes against everything I learned as a child, my current training is based on stretching after the run, instead of before.  If the shins are really painful, rest the legs for a day or two.  While some pain is expected, it shouldn't hurt tremendously every time you run.  Have you tried some low impact water walking?  That might help as well.  Either way, keep up the good work and eventually you'll be doing a 5K without any trouble.

• DJBobbyO Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 16, 2010
    11. Mar 18, 2010 10:10 AM (in response to jkruer01)

Hello everyone! I'm looking to start my C25K this coming Monday 3/22/10. My intention was to start yesterday, but the "Roll my ankle getting out of the car" god's didn't agree with that.  So I'm giving myself time to heal. It also gives me a chance to go buy a new pair of BIG GUY running shoes and let my feet get familar with them.

Some info about me:

I'm  6' 2"   368.9 lbs   42 yrs young, father of  2 very active teens... Girl 16 & Boy 15.

What people say about me when they find out my weight,..... "You don't look that heavy!"  or ...."You hide it well!"

I'm built like a linemen. I played football in high school and in different adult leagues(i.e..., tackle,flag, rough touch).

I'm also a cancer survivor and have lymphedema (swelling) in my right leg as a result of the surgery. I'm told that with time it tends to get worst and limits the range of motion. Weight loss can help slow down the progression. It's a catch 22 though. I need to workout, run and get moving, but after I'm on my feet for 4 or 5 hours my leg swells up and my range of motion is only 25-30%.  So after having my pitty party, with me being the guest of honor. I decieded that I'm just gonna go with what Nike brain washed us for years with..."JUST DO IT!" 

The mornings seem to be the best time of day to workout. My leg is at its best after a nights rest so thats when I'll get my running in. Figure I'll do the gym for strength training in the evening  and on off running days.

Ok, sorry for running on ( get it?..running on ). I just felt like sharing some history. I look forward to reading about everyones journey,the good and the bad.

I've posted on another post for first timers and they were really supportive.  But being in the 300+lb club. I think I can relate more here!

God speed to all!

Bobby

Dec 15, 2007
    12. Mar 18, 2010 10:58 AM (in response to DJBobbyO)

Hey its nice to see you starting out.  You sound very similar to me the "you don't look that heavy" and former football player that once I was less active started to pack on the pounds.  My playing weight was around 280 so I am about 40lbs away from that.  Seeing that you have kids that is what has made teh biggest difference in my outlook as far as overall health is concerned.  Good luck and stay focused it is a long journey.  As far as shoes go I would look at the New Balance 1123 those are the shoes I have been using off and on for the last 2 years.  I have also read some good reviews on the Brooks Beast shoes when it comes to stability for us big guys.

Two days till my first 5k want to be in at around 38 minutes wish me luck.

Nov 16, 2009
    13. Mar 18, 2010 8:52 PM (in response to DJBobbyO)

Bobby,

It's important to get fitted at any speciality running store.  I have been using Brooks Beast for several years (tried running 12 years ago, but didn't get serious until this year).  I recently went through the fitting process again to see if other brands would work, and the end result was the same.  The Beast is a great shoe and really helped save my feet from a nasty case of plantar fascitis (horrible pain, don't wish it on anyone).  So my recommendation is to let the Beast start devouring some pavement.

P-Ro

• DJBobbyO Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 16, 2010
    14. Mar 19, 2010 7:03 AM (in response to murray64)

GOOD LUCK!!   In the words of a cajun friend of mine..."You can do it!" 

I look forward to my first 5K.

Also thanks for the advice and info on the running shoes. Heading out today to get fitted.

P-RO- Thx for the shoe advice!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...