Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2472 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2010 10:24 AM by saga77039 RSS
Lacotta Amateur 9 posts since
Mar 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 22, 2010 11:46 AM

Has you weight stayed the same?

Do you even worry about it? I guess I'm fit I love the way my clothes fit. I'm  5'8" and130 but I've stayed there for over 6 months. I eat the same from day to day sometimes more. I run 6 miles 5 days a week. I use to walk big hills and one by one I keep taking one walk away. I've been very consistent this year and excited to add another mile. I run for the joy, adrenalin and heck I look good in (tight) size 5 jeans. OK! OK! sorry should I just shut up? or aim for more?

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    1. Mar 22, 2010 12:04 PM (in response to Lacotta)
    Re: Has you weight stayed the same?

I've actually managed to gain AND lose weight over the years running the whole time.  I think as long as you are healthy and happy with your weight and it isn't going to cause future health problems "shut up"...  j/k  I know what you mean, though, and although I am down to a "healthy" BMI I want more.  I think I can be faster eat better, etc.  That being said it is something you have to do because YOU REALLY want to.  You sound pretty happy with the way you are so I doubt you would stay on the food journaling calorie counting bandwagon anyway!  So shush.  Some of us NEED to lose weight! HA

I've found that running (for me) is a great weight maintenance tool but I have to really watch what I eat to LOSE pounds.  When I first started back after a long hiatus I thought running would melt the pounds off.  Not exactly...

• 2power Pro 91 posts since
    Jan 5, 2010
    2. Mar 22, 2010 12:23 PM (in response to gatorman10)

ok, anyone wearing higher than a size 5 jean will tell you to um....be quiet. Kidding!! I know what you mean. If the miles you are running are easy, it is always fun to add more to challenge yourself, especially if you get so much out of running. I have been training for a full marathon for 11 weeks and the scale has not moved, although i've dropped two jeans sizes. Oh wait,  the scale does move for me...UP.... after happy hour.  Then throw in a couple days per week asking my toddler "you can't finish your corn dog? let mama *bite* help with that *bite*. I'm helpful that way. I'm also helpful on  mac & cheese *bite* & pizza night *bite*. Bam, 300 calories scooped off the plate of a child means my weight stays the same.

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    3. Mar 22, 2010 12:44 PM (in response to 2power)

HA.  That's must be it!  I am VERY helpful at cleaning up my 5 y/o's plate.... 

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    4. Mar 23, 2010 3:21 PM (in response to Lacotta)

I'm like Gatorman, have gained and lost and lost and gained... whatever... my size six thank you is very much better than the size 18/20 I started my weight loss journey with... and I am called "tiny" by my co workers so I guess it doesn't really matter much to me anymore... I feel fantastic, and as long as my "skinny" clothes fit, I'm ok with it.

• msucj21 Pro 58 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    5. Mar 23, 2010 6:18 PM (in response to Lacotta)

I understand why you are excited.  I have been decently active for the last two years but I really started upping the training in January and got back into running.  I run about 15-20 miles a week (although I had a minor setback with a stress fracture).  Before Christmas I was close to 140 lbs at 5'4".  In the beginning of February and ever since I have been at 120-125 lbs.  I dropped from a size 6 to a size 2.   I have also cut pop out of my diet and eat a diet high in fiber, fruits and vegetables.  I still allow cheat days 1-2 days per week but I couldn't be any happier.

MSUcj21

3/21-Shamrock Shuffle 8K- 46:24
    4/10-Wrigley Early Start 5K- 27:36

4/25-Ravenswood Run 5K- 27:18
    5/1-CPD Run to Remember 5K- 26:54
    5/29-Soldier Field 10 Mile- 1:36:42

6/6- United Run for the Zoo 10K- 57:55

7/11- Utica Boilermaker Road Race- 1:31:29
    8/1-Rock n Roll Half Marathon: 2:13:57

• nplawyer Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    6. Apr 18, 2010 7:51 PM (in response to Lacotta)

If you are 5'8" why would you want to be less than 130?  130 is ideal (maybe even a little thin) for your height!

As for the BMI, be careful.  Those standards have been HIGHLY influenced by the fashion industry, you know, the same industry that tells women who are size 1 that they are too fat.

• seenster Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 19, 2010
    7. Apr 19, 2010 7:39 AM (in response to Lacotta)

A better indicator for would be body fat percentage - you should aim for 20-25% - and measurements of your waist, hips, and chest. This is because BMI doesn't take into consideration the ratio of muscle to fat in your body. At my heaviest, I was 232 pounds (I'm 5'9") and 41% body fat. I've only lost 20 pounds, but as I continue run and weight train, I find that I am losing fat AND gaining muscle. The result is that I look leaner than I did before - losing inches from my waist, hips, thighs, and chest - even if the pounds don't seem to correlate. Muscle is more dense than fat, so a pound of muscle will occupy less space than a pound of fat. If your weight is going up, keep in mind that you may be gaining more pounds in muscle than you are losing in fat. This is a good thing, because when you are at rest, those muscles will continue to burn calories. With all of that said, you are clearly active, so if you're eating a healthy diet, don't worry about your weight. Eliminating that stress will do your heart, and your waistline, good too.

From a fitness standpoint, when you body becomes accustomed to a certain activity, it figures out how to do that activity more efficiently - that is, using less energy. This could be causing your plateau as well. Try cross training in a different sport to trick your body into working harder.

• shep2503 Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 19, 2010
    8. Apr 19, 2010 10:17 AM (in response to Lacotta)

I started running and exercising in January. I have dropped about 22 pounds. I want to see a bigger drop because I am in the obese category on the BMI chart.

You can see pictures of my progress at www.fatfunnyguy.blogspot.com

The more I get into running the more I am changing my eating habits and what I put into my body. I wish I could afford to see a personal trainer and a nutrionist.

5K PR 31:36 April 17, 2010

• saga77039 Amateur 22 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Apr 19, 2010 10:24 AM (in response to shep2503)

I have stayed the same in the last 2 months that I have started to run again. Although my clothes are fitting better and the bf% on my scale (i know its probably wrong) is getting lower.

my blog about running while being a larger guy.. brooksbeaster

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...