Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3517 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2010 5:45 PM by SarahGrudJoseph RSS
junebug1313 Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 22, 2010 7:32 AM

Knee Surgery ( Meniscus )

I’m a 46 year old male and 9 weeks ago had the knee surgery for a torn meniscus, left knee inside about 30% had to be cut out. I never took any pain medicine for the surgery, it never hurt throbbed or anything. Went back to work within a week. After six week I started working out again and ran about three times so far only a mile at a time on an indoor track rubber track. My last run was a 6 min 25 sec mile with no pain. I have also been doing a lot of spin classes. I spoke to several people that went through the same surgery. And there doctor told them to run every other day along with changing up there activities with biking or swimming. Then after going back to the doctor, my doctor told me I had to be crazy to run after having surgery just because of the impact that running has on your joints. It’s more bone to bone with no cushion and short term will be ok, but who’s to say 5 or 10 years from now what will happen. Is there anyone that knows what the long term affect is on something like this?

Junebug1313

• TrinsPop Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    1. Mar 22, 2010 1:57 PM (in response to junebug1313)
    Re: Knee Surgery ( Meniscus )

JuneBug,

I dont about the long term of all that. But, I had the same type of surgery 4 years ago & about 7 years ago on the other knee. My ortho doctor about blew a gasket about me walking for weight loss. I basically have the bone on bone thing going on also. My knees ached all the time, however I lost 45-50 lbs and the knee pain has gone way down & got alot more torable. Sorry I cant tell ya anything on longterm. Be Well...TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

• smur38 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 16, 2008
    2. Mar 23, 2010 6:29 AM (in response to TrinsPop)

I thought I had a Meniscus problem with my left knee.  But after the MRI I was told that I had an Articular Cartilage Injury involving the Medial Femoral Condyle in my left knee. To simply put it, The cartilage in my left knee had been worn away to the bone.  My Meniscus was fine and the Dr said I would have rather had a Meniscus injury since mine is not repairable.  I had to completely stop running.  So make sure you get an MRI done so you know what is exactly wrong with your knee.

Attachments:
  • how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    3. Mar 23, 2010 7:11 AM (in response to junebug1313)

I had a bucket handle tear in my meniscus several years ago.  I've run 3 marathons since and am running Boston next month.  It's important to make sure that your quads are strong to support your knee joint.  I also take a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement to help maintain my knee joint.

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• phreddieqz Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    4. Mar 25, 2010 5:31 PM (in response to junebug1313)

I had medial meniscus surgery on my right knee in 2006... 8 marathons later, I'm still running strong! That said, make sure your take the time to follow you PT instructions and heal right!! I was limited to aqua jogging, mini-trampoline-jogging, and cross training for two months post surgery.... then started back running slowly.  It was a a full 4 months post surgery before I ran a 5k.

So, you'll be fine running - BUT!  The surgery will probably have you favoring your opposite leg.  Be careful!! I have had recurrent bursitis due to this - as long as I do my leg weights and the exercises my PT has trained me in, I'm solid!! Once I slack off, I'm back to favoring the leg, and start to run with an uneven gait.   It usually is fine, but bad habits die hard... mile 22, 23 of a race, I will sink back into a poor stride.

Heal well, heal strong, you'll be fine... just make sure you do your PT consistently!!

• SarahGrudJoseph Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 16, 2009
    5. Mar 25, 2010 5:45 PM (in response to junebug1313)

This may not be considered medical advice, but I had knee surgery on my meniscus in college and I was back to running and playing basketball in three weeks. I did a ton of running and biking, as well as some physical therapy  with ultrasound and massage at the time. I didn't have any pain after the surgery. Ten years later, I am having some continued trouble with my knee after long runs. Because of it, I have to switch up my routines and make sure that I'm doing multiple types of activities (like switching between running, biking and swimming) I think it really helps to make sure that you're working on your flexibility, adding in some light weight training, and really warming up before starting your runs. Hope this helps!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points