Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

38775 Views 246 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2010 10:04 AM by Mary_Beth_VanDenbergh RSS 1 2 3 ... 17 Previous Next
trishrnyoung Pro 83 posts since
Feb 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 22, 2010 4:42 AM

Are you just starting the c25k at age 50 like me?

I am 50 years old, a nurse and weigh 200 lbs. and way out of shape.  Today was my first day training the program.  I have been inspired by my brother who is running from CA to NY and is currently in OK.  He has been on the road for 70 days now and is half way there.  I am a retired CPT in the Army and did run in my younger days (when I weighed 105 lbs and in much better shape) and thought I could never do it again in my later years.  But, my husband is diabetic, overweight like me and we need to make lifestyle changes or we wont make it to our 25th wedding anniversary.  I am not looking for pity, for sure, but I have moderate-severe rheumatoid arthritis and asthma among other things, but I wont let that stop me.  I am ready.  Ready to start brand new.  It is never too late.  I need to share my progress with someone and be accountable to stay motivated.  I mentioned this to a deputy at work and she forwarded it to all the employees at the sheriffs dept.  Now, I feel accountable.  But I want to share this experience with others who are actually doing it and can share the ups and downs with me.  I told my husband that I looked at my shadow on the pavement and it looked like I was barely moving. LOL. But I WAS moving and that is what is important.  If you are just starting or have finished the program and am now running 5K's I need your encouraging thoughts.  Please share them with me.

• Sylvia1960 Pro 89 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010

Good for you for getting started on your NEW Healthy Lifestyle!!!  You will absolutely LOVE the C25K program!  I was a runner a long time ago as a teenager.  Tried to run with my husband after my children were born and couldn't keep up.  Now, I turn 50 in May and decided I wanted to try again when a friend told me about the C25K program.  I am in my W9 and for the first time didn't complete my run today.  Yuck!    However, I walked only 5 minutes out of the 30 and then completed walking to finish a 5K distance.  I have registered for my first 5K this coming Saturday so I am kind of bummed that today I wasn't on my game.

Good luck and welcome!

Started C25K January 25, 2010

Graduated at my first 5K, March 27, 2010 

Botanical Boogie 5K, March 27, 2010  -  38:19

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010

I am Fifty and also started the C25K today. I saw a thread here marked "200 lbs plus starting the C25K" and while I am at 205 lbs I am also Fifty so decided this was a good thread to start for my first post, it kind of grabbed me since today is also my first day.

I have been a walker for a long long time. I used to run as a kid but for some reason abandoned it for incline treamill power walking for endurance and cardio as I also dabble in MMA and weight training. I caught the running bug from my sister and daughter so here I am. I am not looking to lose weight but I realize it will be a bi-product of running.

Since I am not actually going from couch or inactive to active my situation is more like going from walking to running so I modified the C25K by doubling it up for each day. In other words today and for each day I repeat that particular days routine twice consecutively.

I look forward to keeping up on your progress and sharing what little I can. Congrats, this is the first day of the rest of your life! It is nice knowing some one else is just about right where I am with the C25K at Fifty!

Take Care, stay at it!

Onward and Forward !

• Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010

Welcome!  I'm a 51 y/o Respiratory Therapist/Pulmonary Function Tech.  I have never been a runner.  Up until a week ago I NEVER had run a mile.  A couple of months ago I started doing a lot of walking and climbed up and down stairs at work during breaks.  I wanted to work up to run a 5K, but every time I tried to run in the past I failed and just felt like I never improved.  I have a strong family history of heart disease and osteoporosis... so this is important!

I wanted to run outside, but kept coming up with excuses... it was too cold... snowy... whatever, and one morning I saw a facebook friend had posted that she had been running outside then it was in the single digits.   I suddenly realized that I had been making excuses and if she could do it, I could do it.  I started C25K 5 weeks ago, on Valentine's Day, and thought I would die when I tried to run 60 seconds continuously. My chest hurt, my legs didn't want to move, I was out of breath and tachycardic.  I came here and found the support I needed and kept up with the program.

This past Saturday, although only 5 weeks into the program I slow jogged and entire 5K.  It wasn't pretty, and I almost passed out at the end, but I DID it.  (This is not something I really recommend to others.)  I tried to run today and I am hurting!  I will need to back down on the program now to allow my muscles and joints more time for rebuilding and recovery.

I am proud of you for being here.  There are other people starting the program this week.  Look for their threads, there are also threads for those of us 50 and over, and for those 200 lbs and up.  Join in.  Ask questions. Get support.  You CAN do this.

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

Mar 21, 2010

Okay Trish, day #2 are we ready? I am and sure hope you are too.

Do not look at your shadow today, just feel your body run knowing each day you will become more and more comfortable with running. Before you know it bingo, you are where you want to be.

Post how day 2 went for you okay?

Onward and Forward !

• mariefnp Pro 160 posts since
    Mar 13, 2010

Trish,

I am 51, haven't officially started c25k yet (need sneakers!!). I also have moderate RA on multiple meds, and am about 40-45 pounds overweight. So I know how you feel with the RA.  I plan on starting next Monday when I've got the sneakers and the ear buds for my iPod!!!

You might also like No Need for SPeed by John Bingham, it was recommended to me by others on the other over 50 / c25k thread that has like over 1000 posts. Join in that thread too! It's great!

Keep up the good work everyone!!!

Marie

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.....it is about learning how to dance in the rain!"

"The task ahead of you is never greater than the strength within you." - unknown

"Character gets you out of bed; commitment moves you to action. Faith, hope and discipline enable you to follow through to completion."

Began C25K 4/11/10 - have NEVER run in my life!!!!...C25K on hold with a knee injury

Soon to start Jeff Galloway's training program for women

Mar 21, 2010

Hello there Trish, Sorry hearing about being sick.

I think the brand of shoes are a personal prefference thing. What is more important is that they are fitted properly. To my surprise the days of grabbing a pair off the rack seem to be gone. I had my feet analyzed at a specialty running shoe store called Roadrunner Sports. They do it for free and it is a fast painless process. They then suggest a shoe based on how you walk or run. Believe it or not we all have a different gate and stride, some of us pronate, some of us over pronate, some of us supinate, and so on. I noticed a huge difference in the new shoes I got compared to the generic old Converse All Stars I had been using for my power walking for so long. I ended up getting a pair of Nike Aqualons which also have the nike + sensor thing so now I log all of my stats with my ipod at Nike Running.com. Pretty cool stuff and very motivating too! I am not sure where you are but they have other stores that do this fitting thing all over in case you are not near a Roadrunner store. For the most part I think all the top shoe makers make a decent shoe, Asics included, but again it is what you like that fits you regarldless of the brand as long as it is a well made running shoe.

I would be more than happy to lend help or support if you decide on getting into the nike + and ipod thing, it is pretty easy.

Today, my day two, for some reason was hard for me. I pushed myself and can feel it already. I am doing every other day and assumed you were too. I go Mon-Wed-Fri- and if possible a day on the weekend. Did you manage to run today after all? How was it for you?

Hope hearing how your run was, Take care!

Onward and Forward !

Mar 21, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    8. Mar 24, 2010 6:22 PM (in response to mariefnp)
    Re: Are you just starting the c25k at age 50 like me?

Hi Marie, Great that you are also starting on C25K. For your ipod you should get the nike + sensor I mentioned above. Keeping track of your stats and progress is a valuable thing, and motivating too!

Good Luck and stay with it!

Onward and Forward !

Mar 21, 2010

Hi Trish, what a bummer about the wrist. I wish you a speedy recovery.

I had to postpone my day three today as I had two impacted wisdom teeth surgically removed yesterday. I hope to make up this day tomorrow or Sunday at the very latest.

Good luck on your surgery! Please keep us posted as to your recovery and all?

So how is everyone else doing out there?

Onward and Forward !

• CouchPotatoePizzaEater Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010

Congrats and best of luck to you! Can anyone tell me if you can start this on a treadmill???

1 2 3 ... 17 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points