Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1836 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2010 7:17 AM by drmiles85
mazent Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 15, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 22, 2010 12:02 PM

Training!

Hello everyone in the triathlon community! I am a 19 year old new triathlete! Back when I was in high school I was a very competitive water polo player/swimmer and after 2 years of relaxing in college I have decided to come back to a competition, but this time a triathlon. I have been following my own workout consisting of a 15 mile bike ride on a stationary bike and then a 3 mile run during the week (5 days straight) and then I would do yoga for an hour and a half afterward. During this indoor training session I would time myself I would do the 15 mile ride in 42 min. and the run on a treadmill in 24 min. I have not been swimming very much. On the weekends I cycle 10 miles uphill and around my mountainous town. I was wondering if any of you veteran triathletes have any tips on what I should be doing in addition to this workout or differently. The race is off-road on April 10th and it will be my first triathlon. Thank you all very much!

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Mar 22, 2010 2:30 PM (in response to mazent)
    Re: Training!

not sure if you are hitting the trails on your weekend rides but get out on your mtn bike and get some real world miles in.  mtn bike riding is a lot more technical (tougher to handle,climb, downhill) than riding indoors

how long is the race?  if you think it'll be over an hour you should look at some on the bike/ride nutrtion like gels or energy bars and sports drinks

will the swim be outdoors? if so you may want to look for a tri wetsuit cause it'll be frigging cold outside (you can rent them or if you're really lucky borrow one) and if possible practice in it.

definitely keep doing the runs after your rides to get your legs used to the sudden transition of blood flow from cycling muscles to running muscles.

and if you get a chance practice transitions

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• tramomd Amateur 23 posts since
    Aug 15, 2009
    2. Mar 22, 2010 4:22 PM (in response to Joe_h1)

I AGREE. Try to keep the majority of your training terrain as similar as possible to race day terrain.  Last season I trained for my first triathlon and long story short, backed out because i didnt think i was ready for the swim,  at the last minute entered a duathlon exterra instead.  Trekking through the muck kicked my but 1) I did all of my training on asphalt  2) trained on road bike.  raced on mountain bike.  (just wasnt comfortable with the sudden geometry change.)   In saying that, I survived, and had fun in the process.  You will too.  My first "tri" will be in June.  I am no veteran by any means but 1 thing I have learned is that this is a constant live and learn sport.  Stay focused on the basics swim/bike/run.  The high dollar bells and whistles can come later.  Just my 2c..

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    3. Mar 22, 2010 7:26 PM (in response to mazent)

Hi, exciting! Well I bet you'll be ready for contact during the swim with your water polo background. :-)

Joe's right. Mtn biking uses very different & demanding skills. What's the race profile look like? Normally you can see a course map/profile on the race web site.

You're doing hills for strength/power. You could add:

- bike technique/cadence work, pedaling technique - Gale Bernhardt gives 2 climbing trainer workouts here http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/2-Indoor-Cycling-Workouts-to-Improve-Your-Climbing.htm

- run technique: I love this video from Dave Scott. http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Improve-Your-Running-Form-From-Head-to-Toe.htm

- bike/run intervals. bike/run/bike/run/bike/run in whatever intervals you determine. http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Learn-to-Master-the-Bike-to-Run-Transition.htm

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/World-Class-Workout-9_-Use-These-Bricks-to-Build-Triathlon-Power.htm

- Gale Bernhardt also gives tips to switch from the road to mtn bike riding. I know you're indoors now, but it could be useful. http://www.active.com/mountainbiking/Articles/12-Tips-for-Transitioning-From-Pavement-to-Dirt.htm

I hope you enjoy the remaining weeks before race day & that it's a great day for racing,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• hitman786 Amateur 35 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    4. Mar 23, 2010 2:48 AM (in response to mazent)

Here are some important tips which must be followed by the beginners  of triathlon:

- The beginner must start by participating in short races first which  are termed as sprint triathlon. After getting used to sprint triathlon,  one can go for triathlon.

- The beginners must join a triathlon training program and there are  several online sources which give exclusive triathlon training to the  beginners.

- It is advisable for the beginners to take swimming coaching from an  expert and experienced triathlete so as to achieve excellent swimming  skills required for triathlon.

- Among the three areas of cycling, swimming and racing, beginners  must practice their strong areas first so as to make them stronger and  then start working on their weak area so as to achieve required  expertise before the D-day of triathlon.

- Beginners should have patience and should not get tense by rigorous  training sessions of triathlon training programs.

- The beginners must practice the transitions i.e. end up with one  event and conveniently transit to participate in other triathlon event.  The beginners should avoid hastening up while transitions and should  keep the gears (such as cycling equipments and swim suits) of three  events ready before the triathlon starts.

- The beginners must carefully listen to all the pre-race  instructions and should not feel embarrassed in asking questions such as  commencement area of bike race.

- The beginners should participate in the triathlon with passion as  being passionate is the perfect way to achieve confidence while  competing. The beginner should keep the performance pressure away and  should remember that this is their first race.

Triathlon Training Programs - 10% discount using code ACTIVE10

• drmiles85 Pro 84 posts since
    Nov 5, 2008
    5. Mar 23, 2010 7:17 AM (in response to hitman786)

Hitman -

No.

- David

Seriously, though... that list is ludicrous.  Every athlete is different and comes to the sport with a different background.  Every beginner must NOT do all of those things.  I understand that a lot are good ideas, but I only followed half of them, and I've done reasonably well in my short time in the sport.

- The beginner must start by participating in short races first which  are termed as sprint triathlon. After getting used to sprint triathlon,  one can go for triathlon.

My second race was a 70.3.  I didn't win.  I had a great time.  Also, how long is "triathlon" length?  There are several things to consider other than simple distance: course/profile, location, altitude, "style" (road/mtn), swim location (pool/lake), etc.  Distance isn't everything.

- The beginners must join a triathlon training program and there are  several online sources which give exclusive triathlon training to the  beginners.

You don't HAVE to do anything like this.  Especially for a sprint.  Make sure you're comfortable at distance, and just enjoy.  That's the point, right?  If you need some extra motivation, you could try joining a club or putting together a training plan, but otherwise you can probably do it with little to no outside training program.

- It is advisable for the beginners to take swimming coaching from an  expert and experienced triathlete so as to achieve excellent swimming  skills required for triathlon.

You finally gave the athlete a choice - how kind.  Yeah, swimming coaches are often a good idea, but not always necessary.  A skilled friend or even youtube can help quite a bit.

- Among the three areas of cycling, swimming and racing, beginners  must practice their strong areas first so as to make them stronger and  then start working on their weak area so as to achieve required  expertise before the D-day of triathlon.

Back to "must" - I'd suggest that you work on your weakest areas first, since the natural tendency is to go back to the strongest event when times get tough.  Whatever works for you should be fine, though.  Especially if it's working, don't worry too much.  If you're a biker, you probably don't need to ramp up your bike training to do a sprint tri.

- Beginners should have patience and should not get tense by rigorous  training sessions of triathlon training programs.

I'm not patient (obvious from this post?).  I don't know that patience has much to do with anything here.  Drive, determination, and perseverance are key... but patience?  Nah.

- The beginners must practice the transitions i.e. end up with one  event and conveniently transit to participate in other triathlon event.  The beginners should avoid hastening up while transitions and should  keep the gears (such as cycling equipments and swim suits) of three  events ready before the triathlon starts

Probably a good idea, but not a must.  I didn't.  It's definitely a good idea to do bricks if you're looking to do well, but if you're relatively athletic and are comfortable at distance, it isn't imperative.

- The beginners must carefully listen to all the pre-race  instructions and should not feel embarrassed in asking questions such as  commencement area of bike race.

- The beginners should participate in the triathlon with passion as  being passionate is the perfect way to achieve confidence while  competing. The beginner should keep the performance pressure away and  should remember that this is their first race.

Last two are good.  More or less.  Passion isn't required, but you're doing it for some reason, right?  Just have fun.  Try to get a friend to do it with you - it'll make the whole experience better.

www.twitter.com/drmiles85

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points