Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2146253 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Blindrunner Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Mar 23, 2010 10:56 AM (in response to Metro7)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club.... 3/1/2010 C25K thread

Metro7 wrote:

Hello all, newbie here. Found this place while searching for info on buying a pair of running shoes. I'm in on the 200+ club being 250 and hope for ya'll to kick me out in 6 months or so. Look forward to getting to know ya!

nice to meetcha Metro I'm a newbie too, but I'm the worst kind...one with opinions! lol

Feets don't fail me now!

Mar 19, 2010
    91. Mar 23, 2010 11:06 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Wideguy wrote:

Something I saw  this morning on the Today show,  they are doing one of their segments on  weight loss.  Today they talked about plateaus and two suggestions. First  look in the mirror and tell yourself out loud all the things you have done for yourself. Even if you haven't lost apound, you've walked, run, jogged, swam... you have done things to improve your life and make yourself healthier.  And Second, out loud give yourself permission to do those things for yourself.  Remind yourself that  it's easy to get lost in easy.. to let ourselves take a back seat to families and jobs and PTA meetings...   but that we deserve this for ourselves. We deserve to  not pant going up stairs.  We deserve to feel confident and sexy when we go out.  Remind yourself it is OK to want those things and even be a little bit selfish   so we make time to make those things a reality.

I don't know about everyone else, but that really made some sense to me.

Me too. I have never been able to make a lasting positive change in my life starting by criticizing myself. Never. Sometimes I can harrangue myself into accomplishing a goal, but after a while I resent the way I'm talking to myself, and rebel. That's part of the reason I don't own a scale, actually. When I base my self worth on what the scale says, I can't really value myself, just respond to numbers. So the things I do for my health, both mental and physical, I do because I deserve them. The idea of running has become a carrot rather than a stick. I do struggle with my health goals being selfish, because I have such limited energy. Sometimes I feel I owe what I've got to the people I love. I guess the struggle is really putting myself on the list of 'people I love'.

Feets don't fail me now!

• TrinsPop Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    92. Mar 23, 2010 7:38 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Hey Folks!

Hope everybody is having a good forward moving week so far. Well, I shoved myself into W5 today & was really surprised how well it went. While it was far from easy, it wasn't the killer I was expecting. I did go ahead & slow my jogging segments down a little due to having trouble keeping my breathe in the last couple of minutes of the 5 minute segments.

I have to admit that I'm a little skeptical of my readiness for the 8minute D2 run, but then again I was dreading D1 earlier today!!!

Everbody keep up the great work. It's really cool to be able to come to this thread & read about everyone's progress & their pride in themselves!! I assure you, if Chubby Kid can keep trying, we ALL can!!! Be Well....TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

• Trishinator Legend 234 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    93. Mar 24, 2010 5:09 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Just back from the gym doing W1D2 (yes, I'm one of those really disgusting people who like to work out in the morning and am at the gym around the time it opens. I went there and drove home while it was still dark this morning!). It's still hard, but not as bad as Monday was. On Monday, I didn't know what to expect and I went pretty slow. My gym has a track around the second level that is 9 laps to a mile on the inside lane that I am using for this. Monday, I did a total of 15 laps during the length of the podcast (Robert Ullrey's). I know I was slowing down on the 90 second walks instead of keeping the faster pace. Today I did just under 16 laps since I knew a little bit more of what to expect.  Follow that up with another 14 laps walking in the next 30 minutes, so my pace was pretty good.  My only complaint at this point is that my butt hurts from the running - I feel like I need a good support bra for it! (I'm sure someone else out there must know how I feel!) Anyone know where to find one?!

Off to a well deserved shower and a yummy breakfast of scrambled egg whites and turkey sausage, followed by a nice day of working from home.  Have a good day everyone!

C25K Graduate - 5/22/10, Started over 1/3/12

One Hour Runner Graduate - 7/30/10

Nike + id: tjkness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/26/10 - 5K at the Lake Tahoe Marathon - 47:47

• reaves19 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    94. Mar 24, 2010 7:17 AM (in response to Trishinator)

Don't know if I'm more perturbed that you already had a workout and breakfast or that you are working from home LOL! I USED to do that and then my sleep thing got in the way.

I know what you mean about the butt bra I'm still trying to find a good sports bra sigh...guys get away with everythig LOL...

• VegasJAM Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 24, 2010
    95. Mar 24, 2010 8:58 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi guys----first post.

I started C25K last week and weighed in at just over 300. Currently, I just finished W2D2 and am at about 294 according to last weigh-in, so I'm making progress.

All I can say is running with all this weight sucks, so I better fly when it comes off.

This week has been challenging because I'm also weight lifting and doing other stuff on off-run days to make sure I'm active 6 days out of the week. That and watching what I eat.

My friend and I have a 5k planned for November, so I've got time to train. I can already run/walk a 5k in probably 45 min in my estimation. My goal is to be able to run a 5k by then and do it in 27:30 or less (friend told me Army said guys my age should do 9'19 miles or something).

Anyway, just saying hi. Hope your runs are going well!

• reaves19 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    96. Mar 25, 2010 7:27 AM (in response to VegasJAM)

Hey at least you are moving is all I can say. There are so many people out there that don't even take the first step. It does suck when you are overweight and trying to run for the first time but people still look at you at the gym when they see you jogging and going if SHE can do it maybe I can too. If anytime I may now be the posterchild for all the overweight middle age women out there. I can deal with it. I completed W3D2 yesterday and it was alot better and easier than Monday. This time I remembered to eat something before going and slowed down my pace and that seemed to do the trick.

Have a good day all!

• Roselark Amateur 15 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010
    97. Mar 25, 2010 9:28 AM (in response to reaves19)

Ugh, my toe is still killing me! It hurts to wear normal shoes. Oddly enough, it did not hurt much during my Curves workouts Monday and Wednesday and I had no pain at all during my C25K workout Tuesday. I was worried about Tuesday since I missed my Saturday workout because of my toe injury. Since I am on the slow track anyway, with the conservative C25k, I decided not to repeat anything and started Tuesday with W7D1. My running increased to 6 min. After my 5 min warm up, I ran 30 sec every two minutes. The last two segments were difficult, but it felt great!!! I am on this cycle for the rest of this week and all of next, so my goal is to get myself to six running segments of 1 minute each.

Mar 24, 2010
    98. Mar 25, 2010 10:21 AM (in response to Roselark)

I actually get motivated hearing (or seeing) people with extra pounds, like me, doing the program. It lets me know that I can do it.

Right now I'm using the treadmill and doing a 2 or 2.5% incline and a speed of 6 for my runs. I think this is a good way to start. My goal is to run 9min miles outside.

Once I complete the program, I plan to start the outside transition.

Downside is I live in Las Vegas and summer is coming.

Can't believe after tomorrow's run I'll already be on week 3.

• kwmb Expert 48 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010
    99. Mar 25, 2010 10:34 AM (in response to VegasJAM)

Vegas- I took an immediate liking to your name! Vegas is in the top3 of my FAVORITE cities! lol.... (I was married there this past summer! loved it and ENJOYED my time there immensely! lol)....anyway...summer is coming, and it'll be more inspiration for you to complete the program, so u can get out there and enjoy the heat!

Okay everyone...today is a TOUGH day....I went to meet with the dietician yesterday, and well.....I knew I was dealing with a huge weight issue, but OMG! when I stepped on the scale, it was horrible.....I am sooo SO ashamed to say that I currently weigh MORE than I ever have in my entire life. What's really affecting me right now is, I weigh more at this moment, then I have in any of my three pregnancies. I hate what I see in the mirror, and how my size 18 pants and XL-XXL womens tops are so flippin TIGHT....its gross....

Anyway, I am not comfortable with posting how much I currently weigh. I'm not in denial, I'm just so upset with the number that was on the scale......ughh!!! anyway, no pity party here. I just wanted to get that off my chest....it hurts to know that I've allowed myself to get this big....BUT tomorrow is W2D3, and that is such a HUGE success for me already, to even say I've accomplished this much!!!!!

thank you everyone, for even just reading what I had to say.....

ps...I woke up at 6am and was swimming by 6:15 (at the nearby fitness center)...and it felt soooo good to be in the water....was hard because I was the only BIG person in the pool, but whatever! I was just proud of myself for getting up that early and for actually doing it! the "old" me, would just chicken out and hit snooze on my alarm! lol

Have a GREAT day everyone!

Started C25K on March 15/2010

~kristen~

"If you always do what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got" ..so lets switch it up!

Mar 24, 2010
    100. Mar 25, 2010 11:05 AM (in response to kwmb)

KWMB - I was married here too.

There's freedom in truth. I understand why people don't want to say how much they weight (women especially for some reason). But sometimes it's liberating to be open. It's a personal thing though. Personally, I just tell people.

I'll tell you though. I started C25K for a couple reasons:

1. I was 302.5 pounds, my heaviest ever.

2. My friend just finished it and along with getting back to proper eating, he lost weight (he was smaller than me too).

3. I just had to do something.

As a side note, I started playing full court basketball on Sat with friends (including many "in shape" people). Yeah, I can outlast them. Surprised them. I guess everyone seems to thank that if you're overweight by a good amount you can't move.

Anyway, congrats on swimming. I have not been in a swimming pool for AGES because I won't take my shirt off to swim, I'm big and I feel concious about it. Someone might harpoon me. hahahaha

Make sure you get your eating in order (good nutrition is vital to weight loss). You can do all the workout programs in the world, but probably 70% of weight loss is your diet. Take in good foods, drink lots of water, stay away from junk, don't reward yourself with food, exercise as often as possible and RELAX. Do these things and you'll feel better. Let the weight loss come as it does.

Good luck!

• Roselark Amateur 15 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010
    101. Mar 25, 2010 12:26 PM (in response to VegasJAM)

VegasJam, I so agree with you! There is definitely freedom in truth. I have been overweight most of my life. I have tried so many times to lose weight only to fail. My highest weight was 264. When I started the conservative C25K in February, I was 254 pounds. This past Monday, at the start of week 7 for C25K, and week 6 of watching what I eat, I am down 6.6 pounds.

This time around, I am being completely open about my weight, goals, and activity. I decided I needed to do something completely different this time if I was going to be successful, First thing I did was to set a goal that was fitness related rather than weight related; that goal was to sign up for a 1/2 marathon taking place in January 2011. The next step was to tell everyone I know (friends, family, coworkers, etc) about what I was doing, what my goals were, and what my plans were in reaching them. I also started a blog. This step has been so liberating. Everyone has been incredibly supportive. Coworkers periodically ask me how things are going. I am able to get advice from the runners I know. All of this keeps me honest with myself and motivated. I really feel that this time, I will reach my goals. The third step was to try something different to help me monitor my calorie intake. I have been on Weight Watchers many times, and while it does work, it also bores me after a while. This time, I decided to use the GoWear Fit and I LOVE it! I am someone who loves details and numbers, so being able to see what I am burning, and being able to see the impact various activities has on my calorie burn is awesome!

• TrinsPop Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    102. Mar 25, 2010 12:30 PM (in response to VegasJAM)

Vegas,

Welcome & Congrats on the progress already! I also am running on a treadmill for now. Weather still a little crazy, 70 one day & snow the next & today 30 + mph winds. Oklahoma at it's finest!!

I started on my treadmill around October of 2009 & I started C25K in Febuary. I'm up to week W5D2. I'm only running at 4.5. It seems that if I get much faster, my knees feel like they are coming apart so I respect you being able to hit 6. Im using a 2% incline also. On 01/27/09 I weighed 273 on a 5'10" frame and as of this morning, I weighed in at 229 (still 5'10" tho). So keep up the great work !! And be sure and keep us updated. It helps everybody keep going... Be Well...TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

Mar 19, 2010
    103. Mar 25, 2010 2:11 PM (in response to TrinsPop)

I'm of two minds, here. I'm really encouraged to see everyone taking such positive steps...no pun intended, honest. Well, maybe a little intended, but can you blame me? On the other hand, I'm struggling with frustration over my own lack of steps. I've missed a few days now, one because of scheduling and the other because of flat-out fatigue. I tend to have trouble with all or nothing thinking. I'm either a success or a failure, and there's no room in between for being blind and epileptic. How much slack should I cut myself? I don't know. I want to run, I plan to run, and I will run, but my body is frankly a little bit frail. I may actually need two recovery days between runs. It's hard to know what's looking at my physical truth and what's making excuses, especially when I have a tendency to be hard on myself. *sigh* I think I'm truly babbling now. Maybe part of how I measure my success has to be about my longer term goals. I think my clearest one right now is to be excercising vigorously at least 3 times a week, and to have some kind of activity every day. Perhaps I could decide which days are running days by how I feel on a given one, rather than scheduling them. I could just schedule exercise into my mornings, and see what kind I'm up for. Does this make sense, you think? I can measure my success in part by my blood sugars. Any thoughts?

Feets don't fail me now!

• Trishinator Legend 234 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    104. Mar 25, 2010 6:40 PM (in response to Blindrunner)

Blindrunner -

When your body doesn't work right and you have to deal with fatigue, there's nothing wrong with cutting yourself slack at all. You can only do as much as your body will accommodate.  There are days I have great energy and can do a good workout, and then there are days that I can barely get out of bed because I have no energy at all. It's a regular part of my health issues and something I've had to come to terms with. There are still days I am angry that I can't do as much as the day before, but I've stopped beating myself up over it because it's not productive and definitely not good for my mental health to keep telling myself I'm a failure because of something that I have no control over. The trick for me is to not let it become a habit to not work out because I am tired, but to push as much as I can.

I recommend that you ready this article http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/navigation/BYDLS-TheSpoonTheory.pdf.  It's written by a woman with lupus to explain what it's like to have varying energy levels. I read it often to remind myself that I don't have any control over the situation and that it is what it is.

Value what you can do instead of beating yourself up for what you can't

C25K Graduate - 5/22/10, Started over 1/3/12

One Hour Runner Graduate - 7/30/10

Nike + id: tjkness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/26/10 - 5K at the Lake Tahoe Marathon - 47:47

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 760 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...