Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2153 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2010 1:09 PM by gawd RSS
richdaley Amateur 31 posts since
Feb 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2010 6:17 AM

Leg Pain, Weight, and other newby stuff

Hi All,

I just discovered this community and I am so excited to be doing C25K!  I am currently on week 4, day 3 and I have been pleasantly surprised at my progress considering I am 6'1" and weigh close to 300 pounds.  I have a couple of questions that I don't see exact answers for in other threads.

My legs and back hurt when I run, especially starting with this week (5 minutes of continuous jogging).  I always stretch before I start and it seems to help some but not enough.  So far I have been able to push through it but I wish I could find a way to help it hurt less.  Would drinking Accelerade or another sports drink help?  Has anyone had any experience with this?  It blows my mind that I have plenty of "air" and my lungs feel great.  I feel like I could jog forever if it wasn't for the leg and back pain.  Should I be working in the gym on my legs?  They seem pretty well flexed and strong compared to the rest of my body (which is considerably more marshmallow-like).  Is it just that I need to wait until I lose more weight?

I have made an error in scheduling my first 5k and I will not be done with the program in time.  I have never done a 5K.  Will it be bad if I have to walk to last half mile or so?  I have been hoping that adrenaline will get me through but it is possible that I will have to walk some.  Should I just plan walking breaks throughout the run?

What is a good time goal for finishing my first real 5K (I also scheduled one after I am done with the program)?

Thanks everyone!

4/10/2010 Stroehmann Bakeries Walk/Run Against Hunger, Philadelphia, PA - 52:21

4/25/2010 Spackenkill High School TA 5K, Poughkeepsie NY - 45:33

2/12/2011 Cupid's Chase 5K, Philadelphia PA - 40:45

Upcoming:

4/9/2011 Stroehmann Bakeries Walk/Run Against Hunger 5K, Philadelphia, PA

September of 2011 - Dutchess County Classic Half Marathon, Poughkeepsie, NY

• Pamala35 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    1. Mar 25, 2010 6:52 AM (in response to richdaley)
    Re: Leg Pain, Weight, and other newby stuff

I am by no means an expert on running, but the first thing that you should do is make sure you have the correct shoes for your feet. This will make a HUGE difference. It took me a good 3 months of running to get my body use to the sport. I got runners knee, shin splints, blisters you name it I got it, but the key was to not quit.After each thing healed I was back out there. My husband thought I had a death wish.  Now when I run the first mile is kind of hard while the body gets into the grove. After everything warms up it is smooth sailing. Now about the 5k no one is going to think a thing of you walking.   What I would do is actually PLAN to walk/run the whole thing (run 5 minutes walk 1minute). You are out there doing something for you and no one else.  Congrats on starting something new that was the hard part. The rest is just watching yourself improve. Have a happy run day.

• rheeter Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 25, 2010
    2. Mar 25, 2010 7:08 AM (in response to richdaley)

I am new here too and I am so glad to hear that the plan works.  I am starting it today! I know that doesn't answer your question, but you inspire me to run, run, run!   Thank you!

• Deb Stanley Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 28, 2008
    3. Mar 25, 2010 7:17 AM (in response to richdaley)

I am also overweight and I am starting the c25k next week - but I am not new to doing competitve races like 5 K's  - I started walking them last year and some times I jog and walk - I call it wogging - but you will find alot of people at your race walking - I can wog a 5 K in about 38 minutes - I completely walked a half marathon in under 4 hours so walking is good - Good luck and have fun - it is kind of addicting.  The first couple of times I was embarassed because of my weight but almost everybody was very encouraging.  Make sure you have comfortable clothing and that your shoes are right for your feet.

Deborah

• CLS89 Legend 212 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    4. Mar 25, 2010 7:21 AM (in response to richdaley)

Congrats on starting the program, that's awesome!

As far as the leg pain, could you describe it more specific?  It could just be general muscle soreness, because you are still new to running, or it could be more serious, like the beginning of an injury.  Where do you feel the pain, is it sharp at one point, or all over?

As far as walking in a 5K, that's completely fine! Some people walk the whole 5K.  Lots of people walk near the end because they're "out of gas".  But you are right, with the excitement of race day, you will probably be able to make it to the end, even if you haven't finished C25k.  Just take it easy in the beginning (don't try to sprint out of the starting line ) and save some for the end.

~Cristina~ (@mission262)

Currently training for:

Electric City Gobbler 5k 11/25/20

Kiawah Island Half-Marathon 12/11/10

Shamrock Marathon 3/20/11

• TrinsPop Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    8. Mar 25, 2010 12:49 PM (in response to richdaley)

Rich,

Welcome ! Good to meet ya. I also have just started running( in this 1/2 of life) and entering my 1st 5K on April 25th. My goal is to finish the run. Don't care where, dont care when. As long as it is before my friend who is doing the 1/2 marathon laps me!! Right now I'm up to W5D2 & am shocked and amazed that I could do 3- 5 minute jogs & still survive. I'm slow but sure, jogging at 4.5 on my treadmill. That may be the best I can ever do with knees that have been cut on twice each & I'm glad to do that! I would like to finish in 45 minutes or less if I could but whatever. I'm going to be there for me & nobody else so I've already surpassed anything I thought i could do. On W5D1 I was at a 11:30 mile pace so I'm happy. Do what you can do, dont hurt yourself & be proud of yourself for trying & what you can do. Keep it up & check in often!!! Be Well...TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

• TrinsPop Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    9. Mar 25, 2010 12:52 PM (in response to richdaley)

BTW, I also have been having some tightness & pain in my calves and shin areas. I posted it on here & have gotten a reply that it may be the stretching I do BEFORE I run. Just an idea. Check out my post on shin/calf pain...TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

• gawd Pro 174 posts since
    Mar 9, 2010
    10. Mar 25, 2010 1:09 PM (in response to richdaley)

I am by no means an expert but, could it be your form or posture when running?  You may want to find out about that. I also think that only walking for a warm up (make the warm up 10 mins) and then do the stretches after running and not before may help.  Perhaps even asking in the gym if one of the trainers could keep an eye on you on the treadmil and let you know if your form is ok.  Hope that helps!

oh and make sure you are drinking enough water throughout the day as that may help too

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...