Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2196 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2010 4:56 PM by chrisb9341 RSS
akcook Rookie 12 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 22, 2006 11:33 AM

Running and Arthritis

I recently discovered I have arthritis in my right hip.  I've had a few issues with it over the past 5 years or so but since I've begun running its gotten worse.  My question is does anyone else run with arthritis like this?  Right now I am unable to run because my back is also out of alignment and I need to recover from that.  I am walking but want to continue running.  The doc is optomistic that I will eventually but at this point I just need to heal.  I am also about 70 lbs overweight.  Any advise?

Angela

• mountaingirl Rookie 22 posts since
    Jun 25, 2004
    1. Sep 22, 2006 11:41 AM (in response to akcook)
    Re: Running and Arthritis

I work with several rheumatologists and the first thing that they tell patients first and foremost is to loose weight.  Try to find other lower impact forms of exercise to help with the weight loss (this may also help your back problems).  Glucosamine and chondroitin works well for a lot of people with arthritis.  Also if you back is truly out of alignment a chiropractor can defenitely help.

Good luck!

• takopoly Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 11, 2006
    2. Sep 22, 2006 8:43 PM (in response to akcook)

I have mild arthritis in my left hip, but it doesn't really bug me when I run. However, it wasn't until I lost 30 pounds (have now lost 40 and have about 40 left to go) that I could actually run comfortably. If I don't exercise, I get wicked bursitis in my hip. I find running better than walking for my hip, though, as I don't pivot on the hip as much -- it stays pretty straight. Have you considered trying some other form of exercise until your back is better, like biking on a recumbent bike or swimming?

• DFMAR50 Rookie 86 posts since
    Sep 30, 2005
    3. Sep 23, 2006 7:31 AM (in response to akcook)

Good advice from the other posters.

My wife has had Rhuematoid Arthritis for about ten years now.  She doesn't run, but walks (mostly on a treadmill) and also does a regular (three days a week) aqua aerobics class.  She keeps her weight under control by dieting.

• country_gal9 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Oct 7, 2006 5:35 PM (in response to akcook)

I was diagnosed with RA in my early 20s, but really only noticed problems with my hands & feet.  Now fast forward about 15 years and I can tell that it's in my other joints.  Of course, over the last few years I've put on 30 pounds and I'm pretty sure that's made things worse. 

I joined a "rookie running group" and my progress is slow - but I'm seeing improvement and have lost 10 pounds so far. What I've discovered (and this group is very supportive) is that I can't increase my speed/distance on a "typical" schedule. Now that I've got that into my head - I'm having fun and staying motivated. I also stretch ALOT and I carry gloves with me (my hands are affected by Raynauld's). I was also able to decrease the meds (woohooo!)

Now for the first time in my life I'm enjoying running.

• RARunner Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 21, 2006
    6. Oct 10, 2006 2:48 PM (in response to akcook)

I just posted on the newbie board about RA.

I have had RA for 7 years. I am 32 and run usually 4-5x a week.

Mostly my RA is in my hands and feet and I was concerned about running and if I could continue.  I have a drs appt tomorrow and am going to ask.

• chrisb9341054 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 4, 2004
    7. Oct 13, 2006 9:16 PM (in response to akcook)

I have severe osteoarthritis in my right hip. Doc says he will be giving me a new hip probably in a year or two when it gets too painful. Excercising , keeping active and keeping weight down are very important. I take glucosamine chondrointin with msm, Dont really know if it helps or not. I cant run as much as I used to because of the pain on alot of days so I use the elliptical trainer more. Good leg motion and aerobic training without the impact of running and irritation of the hip joint. Good Luck

Chris

• country_gal9 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Oct 21, 2006 5:43 PM (in response to akcook)

RARunner.... I can't find the thread/post on the newbie board.  Do you have a link I could follow?

• Avarb Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 25, 2010
    11. Mar 25, 2010 6:38 PM (in response to akcook)

I have severe osteoarthristis in both hips (i am 45) . It was diagnosed two years ago and it is getting progressively worse. I recently completed the Marine Corps Marathon in severe pain. After mile 14 it was toture all the way.  It was my goal to run 3:30 and I finished in 3:54.  There is no way I can reach this goal with all this pain. My training runs are inefficient because  I am just trying to deal with pain, not performance. I take 800mg Motrin and other supplements but they really don't help much.  I can do four miles at a good pace but after that, it is hell on the road. This is my last season. I am pushing to complete an Ironman in Nov. My doctor advises against running but I am going for it.  I am stratgically planning the run, doing alot of pool running, and getting rady for the pain.  I am getting Cortizone shots to see if they will help me pull this off.  But after this I know it's over.  I will continue to cycle (it is hard to get off and on the bike) and swim but nothing excites me like the run. I hope they find a cure soon.

Good luck!!!

• chrisb9341 Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 21, 2007
    12. Mar 26, 2010 3:30 AM (in response to Avarb)

Sounds like you are looking at a hip replacement eventually. Make sure you pursue hip resurfacing as opposed to total hip replacement. There are no limitations on impact activities like running. I had my rt hip done 3 yrs ago after severe osteoarthriris and now run 25-30 miles/week pain free. Chris

• Avarb Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 25, 2010
    13. Mar 26, 2010 8:09 AM (in response to chrisb9341)

Thanks, I have looked into resurfacing and it sounds like  the way to go. One problem, my provider (KAiser) doesn;t do it. I am trying to figure out where to do it and how can i afford it.

If you don't mind a few questions:  did your insurance cover it or did you have to come out of pocket? How long did it take for you to recoup?  Would you suggest I do both hips at the same time?

Are you running at a fast pace or taking it easy?

thanks

• chrisb9341 Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 21, 2007
    14. Mar 26, 2010 4:56 PM (in response to Avarb)

My insurance covered all of it. Ins companies had just started covering it after considering it experimental for quite a while. I kept myself in good shape up until surgery and didn't wait until the hip was real bad. I had a normal pain free walk and stopped using the cane after 3 weeks. I think if I had to have both hips done , I would get one at a time. Apparently some people get both done at once. There is a great yahoo health forum on hip resurfacing called surfacehippy. You should check it out and post a few questions. I usually run between between an 8-8:30 minute pace. Sometimes some tenderness after a run but it doesn't last long.   Chris

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...