Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

57431 Views 401 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2010 5:53 PM by UrbanTrailRunner Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 27 Previous Next
  • gawd Pro 174 posts since
    Mar 9, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    210. Mar 25, 2010 11:33 AM (in response to domae)
    Re: Starting C25K this week (3/1)

Finished W3D2 today and actually enjoyed the whole run, I cant believe how good the whole thing felt, I didnt feel that will I, wont I feeling beforehand and actually woke up looking forward to running even though it was wet out.  I hit the trails today and enjoyed every second.  Did get achey stomach muscles half way through so ended up changing my route slightly which meant more down hill running than uphill (but I even feel my form is better going down hills now than before)  Does anyone else experience that at all (muscle ache in tum)? Also cant believe that we are all at least a third of the way through the programme on here, how good is that?!

• TrinsPop Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    211. Mar 25, 2010 6:19 PM (in response to LGooch)

Chubby Kid update !!! Well, I survived W5D2!! The second 8 minute run got a little unpleasant around the 3 minute to go mark. My breathing was good & never really was gasping  for air. BUT, my legs were killing me!!! Might have been because of having already worked today, I'm not sure. But I survived...and never slowed my pace or incline. I ended up at a 11:00 mile pace, so I was pretty happy.Be Well...TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

• wiredfortravel Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    212. Mar 25, 2010 7:25 PM (in response to UrbanTrailRunner)

Completed W4D2 today.  Urban, I also have to honestly say that I don't enjoy running yet, but I'm willing to keep at it until this 9 wk program is over.  I do love the way I feel afterwards.

I honestly don't think I could get through the running intervals without listening to the pocast....it really keeps me motivated and focused.

Does anyone listen to podrunner on their ipod?  I've dowloaded a few of his mixes and am going to try and find a bpm speed that keeps pace with my running speed.  Or should I say, that I can try to keep pace with!

On another note, i should say that since starting this 4 wks ago, I've lost 10 lbs, which is a bonus.  I'm also eating alot healthier - I find that running and healthy eating seem to help one another out.

Keep pressing on!!!

easter lily.jpg

• Jenny S2 Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    213. Mar 25, 2010 9:38 PM (in response to LGooch)

hi!  I just joined this site but have been doing a C25K since 3/1.  I have been having a hard time this week.  And I just wanted to know if I should try repeating week 3 or continue?????

I just finished W4D2 today.  I'm just really out of breath after the 5 minute run.  I did it on the treadmill for the first time today. And realized I was walking at 3 miles an hour and running at 5 miles an hour.  I live in Southern California in a place where there is a lot of hills.  So I've been running up and down the hills within my area.  Also I just had my second child and haven't ran since middle-school (basicly puberty), quite a bit of time ago. 

So, how far should I push myself?

jennifer

Mar 9, 2010
    214. Mar 26, 2010 10:58 AM (in response to Jenny S2)

I think you will know your own body and so only you can make that decision but I am repeating week 3 this week and still have another session of week 3 to go before starting W4D1 (and Iv not just had a baby!).  There is no shame in repeating a week and letting your body adjust a little more before going onto week 4, I just knew that week 4 was going to be too much for me, however week 3 this week is a LOT better for having repeated it and although W4D1 will be a bit more of a struggle, Im actually looking forward to it this time, so for me, Im really pleased that I decided to repeat week 3 as its helped me a lot in the running and also on my general mental attitude towards the programme.  Instead of being filled with dread and panic at the thought of having to manage W4 Im actually feeling more ready for the challenge and like I am actually enjoying the process more.

oh, another thing that has helped a LOT is using the podcasts from www.runningintoshape.com they are free downloads and created by someone that has done the programme.  you may find it helpful to use music and just slow the running pace down a little.  The main thing is you dont feel like you are counting down the seconds as the podcast tells you when your 'recovery walk' is, so even if the music isnt to your likling you can focus on just getting through the run until you hear her voice.

There are more free podcasts here http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

Message was edited by: gawd

Will any of you be wearing these in a few weeks?  http://www.zazzle.com/c25kcom/gifts

• UrbanTrailRunner Pro 88 posts since
    Mar 1, 2010
    215. Mar 26, 2010 11:41 AM (in response to gawd)

Thanks Gawd!  Of course, I put on my running gear and went out to do it before anyone could even reply.    It was cooler than I thought, but it went OK.  I tend to run extremely slow when I don't have the treadmill to tell me how fast to go, so it tends to be easier for me.  At one point I was thinking I could probably walk faster than I was running, so I kept having to remind myself to pick up the pace.

It was nice being able to take in the outdoor sights though - I live just a few blocks from our main street district, so i jogged up and took a look around the side streets at shops I don't usually pass.

I try to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth when running, which is supposed to warm the air and make it easier on your lungs.  But boy, that cold air was burning my nose big time.  And by cold, it was like 45 or 50 and cloudy.  Nothing horrible.  But definately going to wait for it to get up in the 60's before going again.

Been taking the ibuprofin and vitamin C / zinc for my cold...still in the mild stage, hopefully it won't get any worse.

Mar 7, 2010
    216. Mar 26, 2010 11:47 AM (in response to LGooch)

Jennifer,

Welcome! Glad you dropped in. I also chose to repeat W3. Seems like it was quite a hurdle from W2. I repeated it & then it seemed like I flew thru W4, I have completed W5D2 last night & it was a bear toward the end. So just pace yourself & dont over do. Better to repeat and let your body adjust than to push too far, too soon & end up injuried. ( Just my thought, not a experianced runner or doctor or anything!1). But, I believe if I had moved on up to W4 before I was ready, I probably wouldnt have enjoyed it as much as I have. Be Well....TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

• UrbanTrailRunner Pro 88 posts since
    Mar 1, 2010
    217. Mar 26, 2010 11:53 AM (in response to wiredfortravel)

WiredforTravel, that is fantastic you've lost 10 lbs!  I have to say, I am suprised I have lost absolutely nothing.

I've been weighing myself Fridays at the gym, and for the 4th week in a row, no weight loss at all.

I used to really enjoy trail running when I was in college, and running with my dog on bike paths post college...but I haven't run much the past few years and since it's cold here in Chicago, I am running on the treadmill, which is, honestly, something i have never enjoyed.  I like the treadmill to control the incline for 15% incline walking (which I used to do for an hour 2 times per week) but this is my first time running on it regularly.

So today I did week 4 day 3.  I cannot BELIEVE that I have kept up running for 4 straight weeks.  But I am not enjoying it exactly...I tend to get really bored trying to run along.  Which is funny, because usually I am never bored.  I daydream away on the train each day needing nothing to entertain me, yet on that treadmill I feel like i need something.  I usually listen to music (techno) and try to focus on pushing myself.

I am not going incredibly fast.  While the first few weeks I was able to run at 6-6.5 mph and keep the treadmill on a 5% incline, this week I dropped it down to 2% and I am running about 5mph.  It seems comfortable at first, but after 5 mins I am definately tired.

I am trying to set some goals to get me motivated.  Imagining how great it will be to run outside for 30 mins in the summer...being able to run with my fiancee and not look like I am totally out of shape. Imagining working up to an hour after this.  I definately want to go on to the One Hour Runner program, or at least my own version of working up to 1 hours runs.

Everyone is doing so great - CONGRATS TO ALL!

Mar 7, 2010
    218. Mar 26, 2010 11:53 AM (in response to LGooch)

Hey folks,

Well, I did W5D2 last night. Wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. My breathing was good except for about the last 2 minutes of the last 8 minute jog. But, my legs were killing me from the start. Might have been because I had done a bunch of going & blowing at work during the day. Not sure about that.

However, I felt great after I finished but this morning I felt like a truck had hit me. Very sore & stiff and knees were aching quite a bit. Don't know if that was because maybe I was tensed up while running or what, but it was not great. Stiffness & soreness has worked out as day went along with a little residue muscle ache. Didnt think 6 extra minutes of jogging would cause that kind of problems!! Anybody else ever had this??? Let's keep on chuggin!! Be Well...TJ

Mar 9, 2010
    219. Mar 26, 2010 1:30 PM (in response to UrbanTrailRunner)

Im glad you enjoyed the run!  I really enjoyed running on a dirt trail last time and plan to do that again next session (tommorow)  Im glad your throat hasnt got any worse too!   My pace has slowed a lot this week but at the same time I feel Im running better.  Im only doing a 16 min mile at the moment! (w3 sessions)

• missmor9an Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    220. Mar 26, 2010 3:32 PM (in response to LGooch)

I started on 3/9 so I'm just a week behind you.  I'm loving it!  How is it going for you?

I started blogging about it - you should check it out!  I would love to be able to have someone to compare notes with about it!

http://missmor9an.blogspot.com/

Best of luck to you! 

Morgan

http://www.torontomike.com/images/blog/poppy.gif Please visit my blog, Sunny Days... mostly, where i share more of my Couch to 5K experiences and more!

• missmor9an Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    221. Mar 26, 2010 3:36 PM (in response to PeacockPatty)

I find a huge difference between the elyptical and running - I can do an hour on the elyptical but at the time couldn't run for more than 2 minutes!  I'm almost done with week 3 and can't believe how much more in shape I am just this far through!  It's fantastic!

http://www.torontomike.com/images/blog/poppy.gif Please visit my blog, Sunny Days... mostly, where i share more of my Couch to 5K experiences and more!

• sedturtle Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 3, 2010
    222. Mar 26, 2010 4:20 PM (in response to LGooch)

OK I couldn't do it!  W4D1 the second 5 minutes I had to walk halfway thru. The first part of the last 5 minutes I was trying everything to psych myself by envisioning the finish line, focusing on the podcast music, watching tv... you name it but I couldn't do it. Is there anyone else who had trouble with W4. W3 wasn't a problem.   OMG can't even imagine running a 5K at this point. uuuggghhh!!

Mar 9, 2010
    223. Mar 27, 2010 12:38 PM (in response to sedturtle)

Week 3 (finally) in the bag!!  Stopped running a couple of times in the 3 min jogs but only because I was taking on some pretty steep sections at the time and didnt slow my pace soon enough so Im going to try to tackle W4D1 next session (on a flatter route!) as overall felt ok and I seem to recover pretty quick in the walking sections now.  I started off thinking I wouldnt even try a hilly route until I could run 20 mins straight, so still feel good about it.  Wish me luck!!

ADDED;

Crikey! no wonder I had those  20 sec 'breaks' I just realised I was going at it under a 7 min per mile pace! usually 16 mins.

Mar 7, 2010
    224. Mar 27, 2010 10:15 AM (in response to sedturtle)

Sedturtle,

Oh yea, I had a BIG problem with W4 when I started it. The 2nd 5 minute run came & I didnt even attempt to jog it. My lungs were screaming & I sounded like a wounded elephant with asthma. So, I just walked it on out. I chose to repeat a couple days of W3 and that did the trick. THe second time I started W4, I buzzed right thru it.

So, think about repeating a days or two if you need to. It gives your body a little more adjustment time. I've backed up a couple times & I'm chugging into W5D3 today. Curious to see how it goes because the extra 6 minutes of D2 about wrecked me. Keep on going and keeps us updated!!! Be Well....TJ

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 27 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points