Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4290 Views 204 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2011 1:24 PM by Mikala_SF Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 14 Previous Next
  • lgall2010 Expert 52 posts since
    Feb 21, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 25, 2010 7:04 PM (in response to susanbarron)
    Re: C25K as a Weight Watchers Member

Susan, I have spent a little time doing both - meetings and online. I know the accountability of "real" people is better at the meetings, but it seems to me there is SO MUCH more information available at your fingertips online. There is enough accountability for me online, maybe because I just like tracking my points. It's also much easier to track your points online. It is also about half the price. Another thing I discovered is you can become a "friend" of weight watchers on facebook and they have a GREAT blog. My boss did Nutrisystems and a friend of mine did Jenny Craig, and you're right, the food is hopelessly processed. My boss has no idea how to maintain her weight loss, so continues to eat the Nutrisystem food during the week and eats whatever she wants on the weekend. She is starting to gain the weight back because she has never learned how to eat right as a lifestyle. Hope this helps!

Toadsuck Daze 5K walk/run (My FIRST 5K) 05/01/10 -  47:08
    Dino Dash: 05/22/10 - 43:53

Firecracker 5K: 07/03/10 - 41:12

Race for the Cure: 10/16/10 - 39:33

Little Rock Half Marathon: 03/06/11 - 3:33

Feb 21, 2010
    16. Mar 25, 2010 7:07 PM (in response to mariefnp)

where do you find WW smoothies?

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    17. Mar 26, 2010 3:10 PM (in response to shorty1982)

7 weeks is plenty of time to train for a 5 k.  I have heard great things about Hal Higdon and the C25K plans.  Other than that, I'd say start and build slow.  Start with perhaps 1/2 a mile or mile, build from there.  10% rule is one to stick by... best of luck with your training.  PS- nothing to be nervous about, it's exciting to take your first steps on your running journey.  Let me know if you need help.  Also run/walk is the same way I did my first 5k...

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    18. Mar 26, 2010 3:15 PM (in response to mariefnp)

I remember my weight loss was slow at first too and my ww leader said that slower weight loss is ok, as it will likely stay off.  Look how far you've come already.  My advice is to really journal what you eat, and what you do when you excercise... tracking is key to see what you need to tweak, whether it's what you eat that you change or what you do that you change or both.  Sometimes it's about upping the ante on your workouts, other times it's making better choices.  For me it was both.  When I started working out it was tough as I had a lot to lose and was pretty much a couch potato.  From there, I just kept pushing myself to do more.  The other thing about my weight loss, it seemed that once I hit ten pounds it became easier as I went.. weight was easier to come off generically.  It kind of makes sense in that there was less of me to move around, and then I was able to do more, etc.

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    20. Mar 27, 2010 6:18 AM (in response to Sylvia1960)

Hello all!

I did C25K last year when I weighed 250+ and finished it and went on to run a 5K in October 2010 in 50.5 minutes. Slow but I did it and ran the whole way.  Last week I received my 10% at WW and am down to 252.6 right now. I started C25K this past week because I found I had lost my running skills over the winter. I was concentrating on elliptical and jazzercise since I didn't have treadmill and wasn't very good about running outside in the cold and dark. Dark was worst than the cold really. I am re-energized for WW, jazzercise, and C25K and hoping to really kick some butt this year for getting healthier and losing weight.

Like all your ideas and looking forward to learning more from you all.

• Metime Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 20, 2010
    21. Mar 27, 2010 7:37 AM (in response to Donna914)

Donna congrats on the 10% milestone!  I just can't say enough how the exercise has really jumpstarted my weight loss.  I have been doing WW for over almost 1 year and exercised on and off as my schedule would allow.  When I made the commitment to C25K and have been doing it 3 times per week for 4 weeks, it has really showed in my weight loss.  I finally hit the 10% mark this week.  It feels good and has energized me to do better.

I am a "snacky" kind of person, I am always looking for some new easy snack type food (something I can take to work and eat at my desk or something I just grab from the fridge or cabinet and go).  What do you all like to snack on that is easy?

Races:

Bricktown Blaze (5K) 6/12/10

Stars & Stripes Forever (5K) 7/3/10

Midnight Streak (5K) 8/14/10

• Metime Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 20, 2010
    23. Mar 28, 2010 10:39 AM (in response to Sylvia1960)

I like the Vitamuffins (when I can find them at the store)  I have never tried with with the cream cheese....that sounds really yummy.  Putting it on my grocery list!

Races:

Bricktown Blaze (5K) 6/12/10

Stars & Stripes Forever (5K) 7/3/10

Midnight Streak (5K) 8/14/10

Feb 21, 2010
    24. Mar 28, 2010 1:07 PM (in response to Sylvia1960)

Okay, finished my first week of C25K and WW online, and lost 2.8lbs! Signed up for my first 5K in May. I'm a pretty "snacky" person, myself. My favorite snack is pistachios. You can have 20 for 2 points (I usually eat only 10). I work in a doctors office, and they feed us HUGE meals. I've gained 30lbs since I've been there (7 years). So, now I bring snack bags full of red peppers, carrots, and sugar snap peas. I keep 0-1 point soups in my drawer at work for the days I just can't eat what they bring in. Most of the time I can eat the salad and add to it accordingly. My new favorite breakfast is scrambled eggs with 1 egg and 2 egg whites, on top of a double fiber english muffin and a banana. I split this with my son every morning. When it gets hot, I want to start making smoothies for breakfast.

• virginiastrickland Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 28, 2010
    25. Mar 28, 2010 4:32 PM (in response to Sylvia1960)

I have just recently gained about 15lbs and am sick about it!!!!!!  I am starting the WW and C25K challenge in the morning.  I love all the motivation and ideas that you all have to offer.

thanks and I am excited about the "journey"

Feb 21, 2010
    26. Mar 28, 2010 5:28 PM (in response to virginiastrickland)

Yay, Virginia!!! We can do it together!

• BradenMommyof5 Pro 176 posts since
    Jan 4, 2010
    27. Mar 28, 2010 10:45 PM (in response to lgall2010)
    Yay, I found it!

Thank you Sylvia, for letting me know about this blog.  I just started Weight Watchers and just finished the C25K program.  I will be running my first 5k in May, so until then, I'm continuing to diet and follow the "Bye Bye Baby Weight" program that Active.com was offering for free.  Hoping to be able to run 4-5 miles by May but am taking it slow.

A little about me...

I am almost 29, married stay at home mom of 3 amazing kids....4 yrs, 2 yrs and 11 months.  I stumbled across the C25K program in January and decided to give it a go, honestly not expecting to do well, much less complete it.  For those of you just started...it's a fantastic program that is really, really good at building you up slowly yet steadily.  You'll be surprised at what you can do from week to week.  Oh, and find a good podcast...that will help immensely. I found some good ones at http://www.c25k.com/ and use the one created by Robert Ullrey.

Anyway, my weight goal is to lose at least my 10% (19 pounds) by this summer.  My hubby and I would like to have another baby but I feel like I have GOT to get some of this weight off.  Thankfully I don't gain a lot of weight during pregnancy (in fact with my first two I lost 25 lbs due to morning sickness) so if I can get things under control in the next few months I may be ok when Baby #4 enters the scene.

Lastly, I can't afford to join a meeting or register for WW online so this is a great resource.  I hope you won't get tired of questions from me, I'll say ahead of time that I appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Jenn~BradenMommyof3

Jenn / BradenMommyof5

<//><

• BradenMommyof5 Pro 176 posts since
    Jan 4, 2010
    29. Mar 31, 2010 8:39 PM (in response to Sylvia1960)
    Week 1 Weigh-in

Hi Sylvia,

Hope you and everyone else has had a good week so far.

I completed my first week of Weight Watchers and was thrilled to see a 5 lbs loss at the end of week one!!  I had been dealing with some weird water retention issues (not sure why) and had been "puffy" for a couple weeks, so much so that I hadn't been wearing my wedding ring.  Because of that, the loss number was probably greater than it will be on an average week.  That being said, I was really good all week so I know some of it was my hard work.

Another thought, just wanted to encourage those of you just starting out on the c25k.  I just was able to complete the distance part of the program...I'd been running 30+ minutes for a couple weeks but kept coming in just over 2.5 miles. I had to just hang on and keep plugging along until I hit both of the goals I needed to hit.  Push through those weeks where you feel like bagging it and sitting home on the couch.  It's easy to think that you'll never make progress but stick with it and you'll be amazed at how good you feel on the other side of the hard week.  It will actually be FUN!!   I can say that from experience.

If you are struggling, it's worth it to do some research on running form.  I discovered after doing so that I had bad running form and it was causing a LOT more stress on my knees and leg muscles. I fixed my form and the difference is night and day...more endurance, no muscle cramps, no shin pain, little to no knee pain and better pace times.  I found good, down-to-earth info on about.com (just searched "proper running form"), but you can find the info just about anywhere. 

Have a great rest of your week everyone!! 

Jenn

Jenn / BradenMommyof5

<//><

1 2 3 4 ... 14 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points