Skip navigation

112147 Views 485 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2012 12:28 PM by runningangelinvt RSS 1 2 3 ... 33 Previous Next
Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
Sep 24, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 26, 2010 3:28 PM

Any other slow, overweight newbie triathletes?

I am training for my first triathlon in this large, overweight body. Plus I'm slow at everything, with average runners and swimmers usually finishing twice as fast as me.  As for biking, I am only now just starting my bike training, and I'm very slow at that too.  However, I'm doing my swim-bike-run training as an excellent way to burn calories (and lose weight), and training for a sprint triathlon is just a bonus to help me target my training.

So I'm starting this thread to invite all of those wanna-be potential triathletes to enter into a discussion about starting tri-training.  You know who you are - runners or bikers who do one or both of the other activities as cross-training, and you've thought about doing a tri.  Or you are slow or overweight like me, and would never think of even tackling such an event in your "condition".  Well, think again.  Just cause we're not primed to win, doesn't mean that when we participate in a tri that we aren't winners!  Your thoughts?

My first sprint-tri is June 5th. Anyone else game?

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• hitman786 Amateur 35 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    1. Mar 26, 2010 3:50 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)
    Re: Any other slow, overweight newbie triathletes?

You have great positive approach, first rule of triathlon in my opinion is be positive. Don't ever think in a way that i can't finish it first, always think I'll finish it.

By the way, overweight is now a past, you have chosen a best sports for you.

My Best wishes for your sprint.

Triathlon Training Programs - 10% discount using code ACTIVE10

• villacis Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 27, 2010
    2. Mar 27, 2010 7:13 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Way to go!

I have nothing but respect for all athletes out there what ever they are doing.

Remember: It is not how fast you get there but the journey that is important.

I am simply competing against myself

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    3. Mar 27, 2010 7:00 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Hi there Jasmine1972

Thanks for starting this discussion. I hope to hear more about your race and training!
    I can tell you finish time/speed does NOT equal happiness or success. I'm a Cinderella ironman finisher & had an amazing experience training & participating in that intense event. But, I've seen close friends finish IM events and shorter races & at the finish line, many times they aren't happy. They look around & wonder "this was it?" Othertimes yes, the finish is amazing, no matter how far you went or how long it took to get there.
    I think what matters most is what you gave to get to the start (training) and what you gave on race day to finish.
    I'm happy for you! I remind myself on race day to NOT freak out about the amazing beautiful half-naked triathletes surrounding me. Remember on race day that "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent." E. Roosevelt. I think you already get that, but it's easy to get distracted on race day, so keep it in mind.
    :-) Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• Dlfngrl05 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 28, 2010
    4. Mar 28, 2010 11:44 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Hello, I'm a newbie never having done a tri and just started cycling myself.  I have osteoarthritis and decided to participate in the California Classic Coast arthritis ride this year which is a 525 mile ride from San Fran to Santa Monica, CA.  In my first training ride I met another rider along with her mother who mentioned "mini tri's" and that I ought to participate...I said, why not, since I'm already doing a huge ride at the end of September.  I'm looking forward to it, the only thing is I can't run...are people allowed to walk instead?  Like you, this has been a great adventure, I'm also looking to get in better shape, strengthen up my legs/knees but also challenge myself to something I never thought I'd be able to do...which included riding a bike again after almost 15 years.  I've been having a great time exercising, getting stronger, feeling more energetic, seeing the weight come off while building muscle, but also being able to complete a 26 mile ride...granted I was a little sore, but it felt great. 

If you or anyone else have more training tips, that would be great and good luck to you on your upcoming ride.  I'm hoping to be participating in my first one this October.

~Kristina

California Coast Classic Bike Ride

Help me find a cure for Arthritis

http://cccsocal.kintera.org/kristinaburgos

• Mike_R Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    5. Mar 29, 2010 6:04 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

I'm not a newbie any more. I'm a 58 year old male who started with triathlons in 2006 at 5'8" 265 pounds. I've since lost 50 pounds, my waist has dropped from 50" to 40", and I still need to lose 40-50 pounds more. I'm slow. It's OK. My commitment to myself is to compete in two triathlons a year. The first and second year, that's what I did. The third year, over the winter I ran a half marathon and my wife and I participated in the 42 mile NYC 5 Boro Bike Tour. This is my fourth year and I started it with a 5k and a half marathon. I'm slow in all my events, but faster each year than the year before.

When I started, people would ask me if I'd been to the doctor before I started training. The "athletic instructors" at the Y said I should lose weight first. My doctor is a triathlete. He said go for it. (We were at the Y at the time.)

But this isn't all about me. It's about the triathlete community...the people we meet, train with, compete with. They're great. I was a swimmer before I was a triathlete and when my son was on a swim team in high school that trained at 5:30 in the morning, I got into the pool with the tri team and swam laps. I volunteered at a triathlon and was thrilled when one of the athletes commented that, "hey, we train with you." We were in the same pool, but not in the same league.

Read Jayne Williams' book www.slowathlete.com  It's a source of great inspiration. I'm proud to be a slow, fat, triathlete and she'll sell you the T-Shirt.

Read about Sister Madonna Buder, the Iron Nun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_Buder At the 2005 Hawaii Ironman, at age 75, she became the oldest woman ever to complete the race, finishing 1 hour before the 17-hour midnight cut-off time. In the magazine article I read in 2006, she said she took naps in the transition area.

But, most important, keep going. The great thing about being a triathlete is that you have access to three sports and you'll see many of the same people as they use running, swimming and cycling events as training or motivators for the tri. You are a triathlete. Other people may be faster than you (ok, lots of people may be faster), but you're a triathlete. You'll lose some weight and you'll trade the aches and pains of aging for the aches and pains of an athlete. You're free time and vacation time will revolve around events. You may never be fast, but as you continue the cycle of train and compete you'll develop a new life style.

It's so woth it.

Regards, Mike

• Dlfngrl05 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 28, 2010
    7. Mar 29, 2010 9:22 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Jasmine & Mike...Thank you both for your comments and encouragement, I'm really excited.  Unfortunately I would never be able to run with my knees, even with training, I'm bone on bone and just not physically capable of running at this time.  I'm hoping to get a total knee replacement next year so looking forward to a whole new set of "new adventures" with a healthier knee.  I will check out those books for sure.  Thanks again and good luck to you all in your training, strengthing and weight loss!

~Kristina

California Coast Classic Bike Ride

Help me find a cure for Arthritis

http://cccsocal.kintera.org/kristinaburgos

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    8. Mar 29, 2010 12:15 PM (in response to Mike_R)

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with triathlon & training! I'd love to learn more about it, especially that NYC bike tour & training with your wife. I feature athlete profiles on my blog http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/. Let me know if I can feature you sometime? You can email me via active or at sklandolt at yahoo dot com.

I've also read Jayne's book & enjoyed it. I'm hoping she'll join this discussion too.

And my son & I met Sister Madonna in 2009. She's a triathlon sweetheart for sure. When we were in Idaho last summer Sister called to wish my husband good luck before his ironman. She's a great example of the encouragement you'll find in this sport!

:-) Sara

Attachments:

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• ToniB-Tri Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 2, 2009
    9. Mar 29, 2010 2:57 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

I love this.  I am also training for my first tri and I am also a slow overweight newbie triathlete, can I call myself a "triathelete" if I have not finished yet.? =)  I am glad I am not the only one out there.  The words of encouragement is so nice to hear.  Sometimes I wonder what I am doing, I don't look like those gals on TV or in the gym, but then I say to myself..."what the heck... I have nothing else to do but sit on the couch and I am tried of sitting on the couch."  I have wanted to do this for the last 5, wait almost 7 years, and this is the year.  I look forward to hearing more about everyone's experience.  My brother suggested I start a blog to keep myself motivated and honest about my workouts.   I am not looking forward to the run, I actually hate running always have, even in HS when I was on the track team.  Thanks again everyone.  Toni

• KurtinSC Pro 126 posts since
    Nov 23, 2009
    11. Mar 30, 2010 7:40 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

I've got my first tri scheduled for June 5th as well... and I'm not going to be breaking any speed records.  I have about 40 extra pounds on my frame... so I guess the thread title fits. 

The only thing I've got going for me is the swim leg.  I swam competitively in my youth, and I've found a lot is coming back as I spend time in the pool.  There will be about 150-200 people in the triathlon I'm starting with, and based on last year's results and the swim times I'm putting up in practice, I'd be about the 15th out of the water.

The downside.... I'll get to see a ton of people fly past me on the bike and run.  I REALLY have to remember that the goal is just to finish as that is going on.

• ToniB-Tri Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 2, 2009
    12. Mar 30, 2010 10:55 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Thanks.  I have signed up first event in July last week.  I have been training for all three segments already.  I have a nice 11 week plan that I have been follow for 4 weeks.  So far so good.  I am glad it is nice outside, well at least in MN now, because there is no one at the gym.  There are a couple indoor tri through lifetime fitness that I may also do.  10min swim, 30min bike and 20mins run/walk.   Thanks again.  I'll check back later.  Toni

• gremlyn Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 30, 2010
    13. Mar 30, 2010 3:02 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

I am slow.  I am fat, though not as fat as last month.  I am doing my first AquaBike event on May 15th (1 mile swim, 25 mile bike) and my first Sprint Tri on June 19.   I am trying to figure out how in the world I got myself into this.  It just all seems so insane.  But, I love it.  Parts are so much easier than others.  I can easily swim a mile (just not fast).  And today, I biked 20 miles in 90 mins.  Tomorrow, I order my new bike.  Then, there is the run or in my case the walk.  My body is just not designed to run.  For me, this is a medical and not a weight restriction.  I have cervical spine deformities that make running a bad bad idea. I hope to power walk that portion.  But, boy oh boy, I do fear that others will laugh at the walker in the field.

I read this quote by Mary Jane (I do not know her last name), "Triathlon is an endurance sport, so whoever comes in last wins at enduring the longest."  It is my motto for those days that I doubt the sanity of this idea.   I am not going to be competitive, but I am going to finish.

For this slow, fat, disabled 40 yr old female...that will be one heck of an accomplishment.

1 2 3 ... 33 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...