Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4319 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2010 4:56 PM by Francessmom RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 24, 2010 4:48 PM (in response to TBMcKay)
    Re: Run-Away Parents 3/22/10

Dear Rebecca,

I read your post this am and have been thinking about you all day. My hear goes out to you for facing such a tough situation.  I am by no means any kind of expert on education.  I am just a mom who homeschools, sends her youngsters to public school and use private HS. As  homeschooling moms, we want to be able to give our children the education they need.  It is tough to think that maybe the child's needs are more than we can handle.  Both my dh and I went to 12 years of Catholic schools.  We initially thought we would do the same with our kids, but our plans changed.  We sent all our kids ( 3 girls and Henry) to a private prek 3 half days a week. They went to public K through 4, then we started homeschooling our oldest at 5th grade due to issues concerning our middle school (5 to 8th).  We decided to send them to the same Catholic HS we attended.  Some of the things that I have learned over the years:

1. Public schools are completely prepared to assist special need children, whether the child needs speech, learning support, or gifted services.  Public schools have trained counselors who work with children who need social skill development.  Plus it is all free of charge.

2. If your pediatrician knows your son well, ask him/her what she thinks would be best.  Sometimes the doc is the person that can refer your child for Early Intervention services.  If not, contact your school district and tell them the situation.  If they can't help you, ask them who can.

3.  You are the best advocate for your child.  Don't be shy about asking for help.  The squeaky wheel get the oil...!

4.  You may be able to get him into a  prek class now.  When we went searching for a preK for Henry last winter, several of the schools wanted him to enroll immediately.  He was very clingy when we visited the schools, and the teachers thought the social part of preK was needed ASAP - we decided to wait until September.

5. No decision you make is set in stone.  If you sign him up for preK or K and it is not working out, you can make a change!

6. Trust your instincts.  You know your son better than anyone.  If it doesn't feel right, then don't do it.

My Henry was extremely shy with strangers prior to preK. He will be five at the end of June. He refused to talk to anyone, even the teachers, for the first few months.  I have gone in to help with field trips and parties, and noticed that he is still more of an observer than most of the other kids.  But he is starting to talk.  The first birthday party that he was invited to was a disaster - he clung to me and wouldn't play with the other kids.  Now he will parallel play at the playground, and in school at play time.  It just takes some kids longer than others, and he may never get to be as social as his sibs.  I did sign him up for K this week.  Our district does readiness testing in the summer.  They handed me a Kindergarten Readiness List -- write first name, identify letters a to z and numbers 1 to 10, identify basic colors, know birthday and address. If the child knows at least half of the list, they are in.  Henry can write his name  all capitols - we practice daily.  He loves cars, so we use car names to learn letters - Ford, Kia, Toyota, etc.  We are working on the other stuff.  I have found that if I give him my undivided attention for 20 to 30 minutes each day and announce that it is his time to homeschool, he is more cooperative.  Sometimes we make letters in the dirt or out of twigs or pretzels or spaghetti.  We sing our address to help him remember.

Just an interesting anecdote - My daughter went to preK with a boy, Jacob, who wouldn't speak at school.  His mother insisted he was a chatterbox at home.  They were in the same K school as well.  By the end of first grade Jacob had progressed to quacking like a duck.  Apparently he was learning all along, and he is now well spoken, well adjusted 5th grader.

I am sending all good thoughts and wishes your way.  Parenting is the hardest and most rewarding job ever!  So, when your child has you pulling your hair out, just remember when you used to hold that little, sweet-smelling baby in you arms until he/she would gently fell asleep. Someday they will hold their own child and know how much they were loved.

Have a good night!

Marie

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

Feb 11, 2009
    16. Mar 24, 2010 5:00 PM (in response to Ali-Gator)

Hi Runaways!

Great article, Ali!  I feel exactly like the author.  I don't plan to run until my 5K on Sunday.  I think I have severe tendonitis or a possible stress fracture on my right tibia.  Lots of ice and Motrin. I even bought Icy-Hot patches which help with the pain. My cold has become a sinus infection.  So no swimming.  I may try to bike if the d--- would stop blowing! Tomorrow we are taking a homeschool field trip to the Insectarium in Phila.  We are doing a science unit on insects. At the museum we will be able to touch cockroaches and tarantulas, and taste bar-b-qued meal worms.  Should be exciting!

Good luck on your 5K this weekend, Ali!  You are VERY STRONG and  VERY CAPABLE!

Marie

Confucius

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    17. Mar 24, 2010 9:13 PM (in response to TBMcKay)

TBMcKay wrote:

Liz~ Welcome, I will have to look up the POSE method, I'm curious.  Sounds like something I might trip and fall on my face trying, but I'm going to look it up so I know where you are coming from.

I posted some links to some videos featuring the technique earlier in the thread.  (For safety's sake, it's best to start on a treadmill until you have the technique down. )

Video:  Side-by-side -- POSE vs. "Regular" running

The woman on the left runs the way most people run:  heel striking the ground with each step (Such is the way of heel spurs, shin splints, torn ligaments, and other injuries.)

On the right, Dr. Nicholas Romanov -- creator of the POSE method -- demonstrates the POSE method.

HTH

Ali:  There IS a difference between chi running and POSE running.

Chi running is a little bit more ... metaphysical ... than POSE running (Chi running involves manipulating one's "chi".  POSE, OTOH, is much more about physical technique and biomechanics.)

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• TyKy Pro 134 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Mar 25, 2010 2:18 PM (in response to catsrcul)

Hello runaways,

I'm not going to respond to individual posts right now because I have a terrible cold.    I just wanted to check in and say hi.  Tyler (my 3 yr old) got it first and shared it with mommy.  Several people seem to have it so I guess its going around.  Anyway today was a run day.  With this cold I was not going to even attempt running, but I put Tyler in the jogging stroller and walked for 40 min.  Got 2.4 miles in so......  After taking last week off and gaining 2 lbs I just couldn't do nothing. Then I came home and did some ab work.  Nothing heavy but enough that I felt content.  While I was walking I was thinking about the POSE form.  I tried jogging a couple steps to see and its very close to my normal running form anyway.  I was a sprinter in high school and played 16 years of soccer, so running on the ball of my foot is normal.  However, when I run on a treadmill I am a heal striker.  I was running on the treadmill when I got hurt, so maybe thats what caused it.  At this point I'm just wanting it better.

Has anybody heard from DOCTORTY?  I know she was going to NJ, but she was really struggeling before she left.

I hope you are all doing well!

TyKy

• TBMcKay Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    19. Mar 25, 2010 3:52 PM (in response to catsrcul)

Hey everyone!

Thank you so much TyKy, Marie and Ali for you words about my son.  I'm really struggling with it.  But your advice means a lot to me and I really appreciate it.  This week is spring break here, so I'm going to start calling and going to check out our different options next week.  It also seems crazy that I have to decide 6 months ahead of time.  He could change dramatically in 6 months.  But like one of you helpful momma's said nothing we decide is permanent.  We can register him for a class and pull him out and change our minds at anytime.

I did a 50 min bike ride last night.  I decided to forgo the gym since it was SO gorgeous outside.  But that meant no morning run today, so I planned an evening run tonight with my runner friend and now it's stormy and windy and pouring, and I'm not sure what we're going to do.  Might be a 4.5 mile run on the treadmill after the kiddos are in bed.  Which would be okay, since I'm still not totally sure about my ankle- if I go outside I'm going, and if I pick the treadmill I can stop if it starts to bug me.  So, many options.....    Although, I really enjoyed my bike ride last night, very relaxing.

I'm sorry I didn't write down anything about anyone's posts before I started to reply.  But GOOD LUCK ALI!!!!!!  You'll rock it!!!!!!!!!!!  And tell your daughter Good Luck at her soccer game too! 

Tomorrow is Friday!!  YAY!!

~Rebecca

2010 Events

1/23  Winter Predictor -13K - 1:19:15

5/2   Eugene -Half Marathon

6/26  Pacific Crest -Half Marathon

10/10  Portland -Marathon

• TMachen Pro 114 posts since
    Jul 22, 2009
    20. Mar 25, 2010 5:26 PM (in response to catsrcul)

Rebecca- That is a hard decision but you've heard some great advice. Once I started homeschooling I couldn't imagine not hs'ing my kids....until this year!  Our school system has a charter Montessori school and enrollment is by lottery. I entered all three kids into and prayed for the Lord's will to be done - and selfishly added, 'please let it be your will they get in!!' lol! My 2nd grader is 31st on the wait list and my 2 younger kids are like number 83 or something crazy like that. Oh well.

That said, if my husband would agree, I'd enroll my 4 y/o in preschool, pre-K, anything to get a few hours of peace. He is extrememly bright, stubborn and active with no sense of fear so he requires *constant* supervision. Yea that's happening with 3 other kids and a dog in the house. sigh...

I think Marie said it, and I want to reiterate it...no decision you make is permanent. If you enroll him and he hates it, you can pull him out. If you start out hs'ing and it's not working for him, you can enroll him in PS or private school.

All the best with your decision. I'll pray for you!

~ Tracy

My blog about Life and other stuff

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

~Ovid

Jul 22, 2009
    21. Mar 25, 2010 5:47 PM (in response to catsrcul)

Today was my first run this week. I've been so busy I haven't had time for much of anything. I did a leg workout - lunges and squats - on Monday and sit ups and push ups Tuesday and Wed.

I also signed up my 7 y/o for a running club. He had his first practice Wednesday night so I did run a little then. I hoped my 4 y/o would want to run, too but he just wanted to goof off. Thankfully they didn't mind if he ran around while the other kids practiced as long as he stayed out of the way.  Hank has practice 2 nights/week and I'm hopeful my husband will be able to get home in time to watch the 2 little ones so I can run while Hank practices. Wouldn't that be nice!

I ran 5 miles today and avg'd 10:16ish per mile.  I looked at my training plan again and realized I"m supposed to run 9 miles not 8 on Saturday. I'm always goofing up what I'm supposed to run and when. One day I'll get it right! lol!

So anyway, I think I'll head down to the C&O canal and enjoy a nice normal, relatively flat run. I'm running an 8k next Saturday so I don't want to punish myself too much!

I'm also still having trouble with blisters on my left foot. At this point it just has to be my shoes. Unfortunately my husband wouldn't even consider new shoes right now so I need to just figure out how to deal. My duct tape solution is working on the original area but the area on the edge of the tape then gets blisters. I guess I could just tape the whole bottom and sides of my foot but I think I'll save that as a last resort!

Marie adn TyKy I hope your injuries improve! I'm glad to hear you're able to exercise the little bit that you are, but I can't wait to read that you're pain free! Hang in there!

~ Tracy

~Ovid

• TBMcKay Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    22. Mar 25, 2010 8:16 PM (in response to catsrcul)

Hi~  I just had to tell you all that I might have made the step this evening that makes me feel like a "real" runner.   I headed out bravely, only after my husband called me a girl, into the nasty storm and ran a 4.5 mile route.  It was misserable, we're talking sideways rain and constant winds.  But it was also wonderful!!!!  Very calming and we were so happy that we had decided to go anyways and felt great afterwards.  Treated ourselves to a nice (diet, small) frappaccino. 

That's gotta equal real runner to go out in a storm and not only finish your run but feel great about doing so!!  What do you all think???

Tracy~  Thank you for your input on my son.  Nice to have other homeschoolers opinions.   Because it's not that I can't or don't want to teach him, I just might not be the best thing for him at this point.

Off Day tomorrow!  Talk to you all on Saturday!!

~Rebecca

2010 Events

1/23  Winter Predictor -13K - 1:19:15

5/2   Eugene -Half Marathon

6/26  Pacific Crest -Half Marathon

10/10  Portland -Marathon

Feb 11, 2009
    23. Mar 26, 2010 5:48 PM (in response to TBMcKay)

Hey Runaways!

My shin feels great today! I was very tempted to take it out for a test drive, but forced myself not too.  Instead, I took my 17 yo shopping for a prom dress.  Not quite cross training but definitely exhausting.  With all the texting/camera phones, etc, she would try on a dress, I would take a picture of her in it and then she sends the pic to her friends for their opinions!   It was like shopping with a group, but lonelier. My how things have changed!  We did find a dress - thank heavens! Now we need shoes and jewelry and.....!

I did take the dog for a long walk.  I was very good though -  I wore jeans and my very old Nikes so I wouldn't be tempted to run any part of our walk.  We covered over 3 miles in less than an hour. After dinner I tried to go swimming.  I got on my suit and drove to the pool, but it was closed for a private party.  I did 45 minutes of vinyasa yoga instead.  DH has been very nice about all this "me" time.  He senses that my lack of activity is making me a bit tense.  We are all anxious for the 5K on Sunday!

The Insectarium (on Thursday) was pretty neat.  Lots of mounted creepy-crawlies from all over the world.  Some live bugs and spiders as well. We all got to "pet" a live tarantula.  My 10 yo held a whip-tailed scorpian and a hising cockroach.  Henry and I held the hissing cockroach.  My daughter also ate a cheddar cheese roasted mealworm!  Both kids love driving to the big city, too.

Rebecca - You ARE a real runner!  Running in the rain is exhilirating, but driving wind?!  You are dedicated!

TyKy - I hope you feel better soon.  Spring colds are the worst.  It seems to take weeks to fully recover.  At least that seems to be the case with me.

Tracy -  That running club sounds really cool!  My two youngest seem to really like running, but I am no coach.  I would like them to learn from some sort of authority.  Plus, you might get regular child-free runs in while your son is there!  Win-win!   Blisters suck!  Are your insoles worn out?  Would an insert help?  My daughter who does ballet en pointe and frequently has blisters recommends Spenco 2nd Skin Moist Burn Pads available at Walgreens: http://www.walgreens.com/store/store/product/product_details.jsp?id=prod366129.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Marie

Confucius

• campi_mama Expert 40 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    24. Mar 27, 2010 9:04 AM (in response to catsrcul)

Hi everyone!  It's been a while since I've posted.  I just ran a half marathon last weekend (1:52).  It went fabulous.  Soooo much fun.  I found out a few days before the race that I'm expecting again...baby #3.  I'm excited that I finished 3rd in my age group and 32nd overall in the womens.

Just had my first good run post race last night (3 miler).  Anyone else run during pregnancy?  I am alternating walking and running and keeping my intensity down, but my husband is worrying.  Advice?

Jul 22, 2009
    25. Mar 27, 2010 9:05 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Marie- thanks for the heads up on the burn pads. I'm going to pick some up tonight while I'm out. My shoes only have 165 miles on them so my insoles are in good shape. I am racing on Saturday and the packet pick up is at the LRS where I bought my shoes. If they aren't too busy, I'm going to ask them to look at my shoes and my foot to see what they recommend. It's the left foot which is the ankle I sprained so I wonder if I messed up my footstrike when I started running again. It doesn't feel different and it (my ankle) doesn't hurt. I also don't have pain in my knee or hip to indicate a biomechanics issues. Who knows!? I must be very special to have these problems!

I ran 9.5 this morning at a 10:44 pace and felt really good. I actually felt like I could have run a bit more. It was cold as all get out and I wore shorts and forgot my gloves, but I had a really nice run. :)

Today is our 11th anniversary so we're going to dinner tonight. That means I need to clean the house before my sister-in-law comes to babysit so she isn't completely grossed out when she walks in the door! lol

~ Tracy

~Ovid

Jul 22, 2009
    26. Mar 27, 2010 9:11 AM (in response to campi_mama)

Congrats on a great time for your half and More Congrats on your Baby! Very exciting!!

I don't know a thing about running while pregnant. I had hyperemesis and wanted to shrivel up and die until I was 6 mos along. Your dr should be able to give some advice. You could also ask on the general board, surely there are moms (or husbands of wives) who have experience with this.

Again Congrats on your great news!

~ Tracy

~Ovid

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    27. Mar 27, 2010 9:57 AM (in response to TMachen)

TMachen wrote:

I looked at my training plan again and realized I"m supposed to run 9 miles not 8 on Saturday. I'm always goofing up what I'm supposed to run and when. One day I'll get it right! lol!

Baby, YOU RAN ...

In the end , that's all that matters.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other ... it's not like your feet are going to know the difference.

Don't stress out over it.  You can always make it up next week.

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010
    28. Mar 28, 2010 8:04 AM (in response to catsrcul)

Marie:  Hope you have (had) a great race today!

Campi:  Congratulations on your fast half and your great news!

Tracy:  Happy Anniversary!

My 5K yesterday was great.  The weather was nice, the race was well-organized, and it was for a great cause.  I beat my last 5K time by 6 seconds.    And apparently I won one of the raffle items after I left.  I am hoping it was the massage!  My birthday is coming up, and I've been dropping lots of hints that a massage would be a great gift, but I don't think anyone is taking the hint.  My hubby says he wants to buy me a swimsuit.  I've had to gently explain that it would not be a good idea for him to buy one without me.  For one thing, he'd probably buy a barely-there string bikini two sizes too small...

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, ladies!

Ali

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

Feb 11, 2009
    29. Mar 28, 2010 4:56 PM (in response to Ali-Gator)

Hi Runaways!

I had my 5K today and it went very well.  The race started at noon and benefited the local volunteer firefighters.  My 10 yo daughter, Frances, ran with me.  Our family has been beseiged by the mucous plague for the past few weeks.  We have all had never-ending colds with lovely croupy coughs.  Frances and I are both recovering from sinus infections.  So if walking became necessary - it would be okay.  It was her first 5K so I promised I would stay with her the entire route.  The weather was very cloudy and about 45 degrees with a gusty wind.  The course was a pretty flat out and back.  It was neat 'cause there were firetrucks all along the route with lights flashing.  We started out strong and at one mile we were at 8.53 minutes.  We stopped for brief walks 3 times.  The home stretch was into a very strong wind.  Frances told me her swim coach is always saying , "Finish Strong!"  So that was our mantra.  You could see the finish - it was two ladder trucks with the ladders extended up and across the road with a giant American Flag hanging between. We crossed the finish line at 29.05!  That was the fastest that Frances has ever run.  It was a good time for me.  We headed to the cantina for hot ham and cheese sandwiches, fruit, granola bars and juice.  When we checked the race results - Frances had earned 2nd place in the 13 and under age group!  She got a cool silver medal!  I place 4th in my age group!  We had passed the 3rd place finisher near the end then slowed to a walk for Frances to catch her breath, and the woman passed us.  I am very proud of my daughter and myself.  She's addicted now.  We are already planning our next race!

Unfortunately my husband couldn't come because the contracter was at our house. I'v included 2 pics.  One is Frances near the finish.  The other is us at home afterwards.

Ali - Congratulations!  6 Seconds is alot!  Winning the raffle is always fun, too.

Campi - Great job on the half!  I didn't started running until after babies, but I know women who have done it without problems.

Tracy - Happy Anniversary!  Enjoy your man!

Attachments:

Confucius

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This