Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1171 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 29, 2010 1:25 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
msucj21 Pro 58 posts since
Mar 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 27, 2010 5:42 PM

Injury Recovery with the Alter G

I suffered from a stress fracture on the top of my foot on February 13th.  I managed to run an 8K a week ago.  I'm building my mileage back up to about 20 miles per week.  I tried this new technology out at a physical therapist's office in Chicago recently.  The Alter G treadmill is an anti-gravity treadmill designed for recovering from injury below the waist.  It is amazing and I would highly suggest it to anyone with an injury and/or recovering from one.  Currently, I am using it once a week while doing shorter runs on regular treadmills and outdoors.  Here is a link to the manufacturers web page if you want to learn about it: http://alter-g.com/

MSUcj21

3/21-Shamrock Shuffle 8K- 46:24
4/10-Wrigley Early Start 5K- 27:36

4/25-Ravenswood Run 5K- 27:18
5/1-CPD Run to Remember 5K- 26:54
5/29-Soldier Field 10 Mile- 1:36:42

6/6- United Run for the Zoo 10K- 57:55

7/11- Utica Boilermaker Road Race- 1:31:29
8/1-Rock n Roll Half Marathon: 2:13:57

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,153 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 29, 2010 1:25 PM (in response to msucj21)
    Re: Injury Recovery with the Alter G

Alter-G is the company said to be behind the "zero gravity" trainer that Paula Radcliffe used before her Beijing debacle - not that it had anything to do with her poor performance, but it was probably the only thing she could use while recovering from her injuries. At least she was able to finish.

No matter whether you use Alter-G's equipment, ellipticals, or pool running, there are only certain components of your running form (i.e.:aerobics) that will be preserved. There is unfortunately no substitute for gravity when it comes to preparing your body for the merciless pounding of road racing. Any astronaut who has spent much time in space can barely walk on return to 1G, let alone the 3g of running. On the other hand, it will give you a leg up (so to speak) on the rest of your training when you return to the road.

Congrats on your recovery as you return to competition. I think you made a fine choice and are in good care.

A discussion of the Alter-G and Paula...

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/08/beijing-womens-marathon-preview.html

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...