Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

906 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2007 9:41 PM by tigger077 RSS
mollie63 Rookie 29 posts since
Sep 19, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 22, 2007 3:32 PM

another pfitz question

i found the link in the other pfitz thread to the older pfitz thread and am more convinced than ever to use that plan for my next marathon (feb 08).  but i still have one question:

i plan to use the 18wk/55mpw plan, but my base miles are/will be higher than the beginning mileage, but too low for the 70mpw(avg 40-45 mpw). anybody else in this situation? do you just drop back to begin with the lower mileage or what? i don't want to "waste" the base miles i've built.

thanks

• runninlaw Amateur 983 posts since
    Mar 13, 2006
    1. Jun 22, 2007 4:02 PM (in response to mollie63)
    Re: another pfitz question

I think you are in a perfect position to start the 18/55 then.  The program puts in the miles and they increase rather quickly.  You will also have some hard workouts.  If your base was not yet at the minimum, your risk for injury may be too high. 

I would follow it and take the first couple weeks as prescribed and enjoy the "easier" weeks if that is how it feels. If you need to, add a couple miles here or there or do an extra recovery run on one of your off days. You won't want to push it too much though as it is a pretty aggressive schedule - expecially the first time around.

Be sure to get Pfitz's book and read how he suggests you run your various workouts.

Good luck - I had great success with that program 2x and am now starting the 18/70.

• brandyk051 Amateur 120 posts since
    Oct 31, 2006
    2. Jun 22, 2007 4:10 PM (in response to mollie63)

I will be using the 24/less than 70 plan for my Jan 08 marathon.  I have been doing 40-55 mile weeks since November.  Right now I am going through the first few weeks (minus speedwork) to help build my my base even more.  I will max at 67 I think before truly starting the program the first full week of August. 

The first cycle only takes me up to 57 but it has that speedwork so I think it'll still be a challenge.

----

I opened-up a yogurt, underneath the lid it said, "Please try again." because they were having a contest that I was unaware of. I thought maybe I opened the yogurt wrong. Or maybe Yoplait was trying to inspire me. "Come on Mitchell, don't give up!" An inspirational message from your friends at Yoplait. Fruit on the bottom, hope on top. ~ Mitch Hedberg

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Southern Man Rookie 757 posts since
    Apr 19, 2006
    3. Jun 22, 2007 5:04 PM (in response to mollie63)

I have used the Pfitz program with modifications, although not your exact question.  My guess is that you are running 5 days a week for that mileage.  If you note the Pfitz plan only starts you with four days a week for the first 3 weeks or so (I don't have it in front of me).  Pretty easy to just keep running the extra day to me.

As the mileage builds you may want to "back off" to the scheduled mileage or you may find that you keep being a little ahead of plan. No problem with running a 18/60 plan, or whatever if you want.

Southern Man

----

We're on a road to nowhere.  Come on along.

• wndctyrnr Rookie 12 posts since
    Oct 8, 2003
    5. Jun 23, 2007 9:17 AM (in response to mollie63)

What's the name of the Pfitz book you recommend? I am having a hard time finding it at the book stores. Thanks!

• jfourman Rookie 15 posts since
    Apr 1, 2000
  • runninlaw Amateur 983 posts since
    Mar 13, 2006
    7. Jun 23, 2007 10:08 AM (in response to mollie63)

I believe I got a copy on Ebay for about $4.

• wndctyrnr Rookie 12 posts since
    Oct 8, 2003
    8. Jun 23, 2007 10:31 AM (in response to mollie63)

Thanks!

• runawayjesse Rookie 538 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Jun 23, 2007 9:14 PM (in response to mollie63)

Will your starting mileage be anywhere near the stating mileage of the 70 plan? Remember the first mesocycle of the Pfitz plan is "base training". I think many people don't take that into consideration. If your mileage is going to be near the starting mileage of the 18/70 plan(53 MPW I believe) and your long run is near the first long run of the plan(13 miles?)than I say go for that plan. Build your current base training around his format...that is 1 medium long run, 1 long run, 1 day of striders(altered with a couple easy tempo days) couped together by recovery jogs. Than picking up on his schedule will not be of anything different. I see no reason to seperate your base building from the first mesocycle of his plan. If anything just add on to that mesocycle.

The thing I really like about Pfitz is how systematic his training is. Each cycle prepares you for the next cycle slowing adding in the proceeding elements. Study the trend and just extend the base to your current training.

• tigger077 Amateur 690 posts since
    Nov 19, 1999
    11. Jun 24, 2007 9:41 PM (in response to mollie63)

If you have the book and you should compare and contrast the 55 and 70 plans.  They are very close in layout.  So with a bit of imagination you can create a 60 or a 65 plan that lies somewhere in between the one in the book.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...