Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

56129 Views 401 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2010 5:53 PM by UrbanTrailRunner RSS Go to original post 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 27 Previous Next
  • Heather27500 Pro 85 posts since
    Mar 11, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    225. Mar 27, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to LGooch)
    Re: Starting C25K this week (3/1)

I finished Week Four yesterday and am looking forward to starting week five on Monday. Halfway done!

C25k graduate 04/30/10

OHR (abbreviated) graduate 05/21/10

• dpayne06 Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 6, 2010
    226. Mar 27, 2010 11:39 AM (in response to Heather27500)

Good job, Heather!  I accomplished W4D1 yesterday.  Late start this week.  For the first time, my calves were burning and I had a little twinge of pain in my knee.  I was on the TM, so it's a lot easier for me.  It's blowing like 35 mph here today, so I do believe this beginner will be taking it inside again.  I can't believe I'm still running and that alone is changing my mind about being a runner and allowing me to entertain the thought of seeing myself as such.  Hey...for me...that's a mountain of start.  I hated running and I can't say that any longer.  Ok, I'm not saying we're not in love yet either...but I do hope we have a long courtship. 

• sedturtle Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 3, 2010
    227. Mar 27, 2010 12:24 PM (in response to TrinsPop)
    Thanks so much for the support!!  I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one who has struggled with week 4 AND such an inspiration from hear from those of you who have made it through to W8 and beyond! I really appreciate your comments! I will try again tomorrow for W4D1. If I can't push through it then I will repeat W3. I am determined to see what happens by APril 24th which is when I am scheduled to run my first 5K. Thanks again!
  • new_nonsmoker_runner Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 20, 2010
    228. Mar 27, 2010 3:57 PM (in response to LGooch)

Hey folks,

I was peeking around and found this forum.. hope you don't mind if I join you.  I just quit smoking back on Jan 1 of this year, and now that I'm getting my lungs back, I thought I would try my hand at running.  I did some running in early high school, but haven't tried to do it since.  They have been hard workouts for me, but so far I've been able to complete all of the workouts for W1D1 though W4D2 (just completed today!). 

I got really excited about the program during the first week, so much so that I signed up for a 5k race on May 8, figuring I should just be finishing up the program by that time.  Now, I'm getting nervous about this.  I'm worried that I will not be able to run the whole race.  I've been able to follow the program so far, but it seems to keep getting harder.  The 5 minute runs are KILLER, and I keep thinking that a week and a couple days from now I'm supposed to be able to run 20 minutes continuously.  Maybe I just worry too much and should think more in the present! 

I've so far been running in workout pants because I didn't want the neighbors to have to see my thigh jiggle (is anyone else embarrassed?)  Unfortunately, I'm living in Texas so I'm going to have to convert to shorts soon because it will be too hot!  

Anyway, thanks for the advice from everyone - especially the comments about the podcasts.  I have been getting up early to run in the morning for some of the workouts, and it's still dark at this time, so I wasn't able to watch my watch for when to walk and when to run.  The podcasts solved that problem. 

• kelzi Amateur 25 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010
    229. Mar 28, 2010 2:58 PM (in response to LGooch)

Well, week 4 is complete.  Today I stuggled but I'm 95% sure majority of that was due to a slight hangover.  Not a good idea to drink the night before, FYI.

I must say, this week was the first week where I felt like a "runner".  I can't wait to see what I feel like from here on out.  Although, I am quite nervous for next week.  I cannot imagine running a solid 20 minutes, but we'll see how it goes.

Keep it up everyone!

• gawd Pro 174 posts since
    Mar 9, 2010
    230. Mar 29, 2010 1:14 PM (in response to kelzi)

W4D1 done!

• TrinsPop Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    231. Mar 29, 2010 9:17 PM (in response to LGooch)

Hello Friends..

Well with my moderate success with W5D2, I was supposed to do W5D3 on Saturday. BUT after sleeping late & then getting tangled up in all the B-ball I fell off the wagon. So I decided I might as well slug-out on Sunday & after church got to go play golf. (Which I like alot more than running BTW & better at it too).

I'm hoping to get back in the groove on Tuesday. Probably will back up a day or two and hit it. Hoping for the wind to die down some so I can get the nerve to move outside & jog. We have had substained 25 + mph wind most of th day today & calling for 30-35 + the rest of the week. Blah,Blah,Blah..Arent ya glad you ask??

I was real glad to log on & see how well everybody is doing & drawing from the inspiration from all of you folks.  Keep up the goodwork everybody!!! TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

• Heather27500 Pro 85 posts since
    Mar 11, 2010
    232. Mar 30, 2010 8:00 AM (in response to LGooch)

Week 5 day 1 was completed yesterday and knock on wood I felt like I could have easily run farther but the thoughts of twenty minutes in a row is pretty scary!

C25k graduate 04/30/10

OHR (abbreviated) graduate 05/21/10

• jodebode Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 1, 2010
    233. Mar 30, 2010 11:01 AM (in response to LGooch)

Completed W4D3 last night. I normally run in the mornings but due to schedule shifted to night. It didn't start out so well! I got through the first 3 and 5 min. runs but then hit a wall. Once the 3 min. walk was over, I was in no way ready to run again. All these thoughts were going through my mind, like "there's no way I can do this" and "who are you kidding, you'll never be able to run 3 miles, you should just quit this silly program now." BUT I decided to keep walking and pick up the running again after a few minutes. I was able to get through the 2nd 3 min. run. So my plan was to do the entire 2nd 5 min. and just add extra time to my cooldown. Once I started the last run period, I just decided to keep going. And I ended up running 8 minutes instead of 5! I don't know what changed from the beginning to the end of the workout, I guess I just needed the extra breather in the middle (and an attitude adjustment). I felt great after I was done though, and am now confident I can get through week 5... well, the first two days at least, I'm already very nervous about the 20 min. run!

Okay, so that was a book. Sorry!!!

c25k goal - Run first 5K June 5, 2010

Mar 14, 2010
    234. Mar 30, 2010 3:50 PM (in response to LGooch)

Did W5D1 this evening.  Slightly mad at myself though because I forgot to set my incline of 1.5% and didn't notice until I was doing the last 5 minute run.  I couldn't figure out why I felt so good.  Gah!  Now I'm not sure if I should do it over again, or just go for Day 2.  Thoughts?

Edit:

I also put a TV and DVD player in my workout room, and watched an Episode of Two and a Half Men during this work out!

• gawd Pro 174 posts since
    Mar 9, 2010
    235. Mar 31, 2010 9:24 AM (in response to kelzi)

well done on starting week five, I wouldnt bother repeating it, after all you did run when you were supposed to, so you know you can do it.  Just make sure to set the incline in your next session.

Do you run outside at all or just on the treadmill?  Have you been finding your Nike+ accurate?

Im also a bit dissapointed in myself today, I done week four day 2 today,  I found it a little harder than day 1.  Then I realised that Id been busy thinking of other things in the morning and hadnt had any lunch before running!  I think if my body had a little fuel in it then I would have done better as my pace slowed right down again.  I was running on a pretty flat surface with a slight incline (very slight) but also against some fairly strong winds.  I had to stop for 20 secs or so twice in the run, once in the first 5 min run and once in the second 5 min run.  Felt a bit bad about that but then it was due to environmental factors I couldnt control......I added a 20 sec run on at the end, not quite enough but still.  On W4D1 I managed the whole thing and then an extra 4 min jog on the end, after the last 5 mins walking (cooldown) then I walked another 5 mins, feel like I didnt do so well today.  Fingers crossed for W4D3.

Mar 14, 2010
    236. Mar 31, 2010 3:18 PM (in response to gawd)

gawd wrote:

Do you run outside at all or just on the treadmill?  Have you been finding your Nike+ accurate?

I'm just running on the treadmill for now but I hope to eventually move outside.  I'm  a bit scared though, to be honest.

I'm really liking my Nike+, so glad I bought it.  I love knowing how far I've gone (4.21km yesterday)!  I'm always trying to beat my distance, so I push myself a bit more.  I do find it's accurate except for how many calories I've burned, as it doesn't pick up the incline on the treadmill.  I'm sure once I move outdoors, it will be better!

• RunningTreva Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 31, 2010
    237. Mar 31, 2010 5:53 PM (in response to LGooch)

Hi guys, I'm a late poster. I am on week 4 day1. I did the c25k a few years ago, and it really does work. I was regularly running 3.1 miles, but the one day I just stopped. I didn't have anything to look forward to, I don't know why I didn't just set a new goal. Now I'm 30 and have less energy than I used to have. Running is the one thing that made me feel better. I don't have a weight goal, just a feel better goal =).

• missmor9an Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    238. Mar 31, 2010 7:02 PM (in response to dpayne06)

I also just finished w4D1 (yesterday evening) and had pain in my knees - it was on the inside of my legs.  I have never had feeling there before but it hurt when i made impact.  I found that it was lessened when using the Pose method of landing on the balls of my feet rather than my heels, but still present.

I as well have always hated running.  Yesterday's run was the hardest for me so far.  And I'm looking ahead at what's to come and psyching myself out.  Must keep going, though!  I will not give up! 

I cannot wait until the day that I am a runner!  Gettin close - 4 more runs then we get to have a go at no intervals!  Whoopee!

http://www.torontomike.com/images/blog/poppy.gif Please visit my blog, Sunny Days... mostly, where i share more of my Couch to 5K experiences and more!

• missmor9an Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    239. Mar 31, 2010 7:04 PM (in response to RunningTreva)

Hi Treva!  don't worry, I'm right at the same point as you as a late poster.  Unlike you, i've NEVER been a runner.  But like you, my goal is health and fitness rather than weight loss.  Although, it'd be an amazing perk! lol

http://www.torontomike.com/images/blog/poppy.gif Please visit my blog, Sunny Days... mostly, where i share more of my Couch to 5K experiences and more!

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 27 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points