Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14967 Views 51 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2010 8:38 AM by Davros343 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • RunandHike Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Mar 16, 2010 12:00 PM (in response to RachelX)
    Re: Drinker, Smoker, Runner

RachelX wrote:

So I am writing this because I see some serious negativity about weight etc. and I would like to share what happened in the last 50 feet of the dash.  Some guy on the sidelines looked straight at me while I was running and yelled, "You're almost there.  The food you've been running for is just up ahead."

He didn't say this to anyone else.  And I did happen to be looking around me for the whole run.  There were no other bigger men or women anywhere near me on the course.  They were the ones who were all walking.  I'm not saying anything bad about that.  I just want to point out that even though I may stand out in a crowd with a bunch of tall lean people, at least I'm doing something more than opening my mouth to spout negativity.  I am proud of being able to do that after only training for a month before that.  Deep down I kinda hope his wife or someone heard him say that and gave him a sharp jab to the ribs!

Rachel

Rachel,

I was not there so I cannot be absolutely sure, but I really lean toward thinking that what was offered to you was legitimate encouragement. The reason is that anything regarding the finish, the food, the medal (when there is one), or even a waiting hot tub are all often used as encouragement because they offer the mind the chance to think about something pleasant coming up immediately after the race is over. I am sure there are those fit, accomplished runners who do look down on those who are overweight, but I honestly don't know any runners, myself included, who are not truly impressed with anyone who is out of shape, for weight or any other reason, making the effort to complete a race. For every person in any race there are thousands who make no effort. The fact you were singled out may have been coincidental. I have often locked eyes with someone I don't know who is nearing the finish and I quickly offer some encouragement and I may not say anything to anyone else for that race. Again, I may be wrong, but given your experience and how you processed it, I think it is really important to know that most runners are truly supportive.

I for one would like to say: Well done, WELL DONE! Now, go do it again!

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    46. Mar 16, 2010 12:02 PM (in response to RunandHike)

I too aplaud you!   I don't think there is anything negative on this thread about someone who is trying to improve themselves and being honest about their struggles.  The negativity is towards someone who won't admit that something they are doing is unhealthy!   Congrats on your weight loss, your hard work and finishing a 5k!    Run on!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    48. Mar 30, 2010 7:34 AM (in response to fluffysunshine)

Well,  if you were wanting to delete this one... it was dead and forgotten till you just bumped it up to the top!

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• Davros343 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 14, 2009
    49. Mar 30, 2010 10:12 AM (in response to fluffysunshine)

I don't think you can, but why would you really need to if everyone forgot about it already? If you want to delete one right after posting or something, just edit it and remove all the content... Which I imagine is what you just did with that last post....

• Davros343 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 14, 2009
    51. Mar 31, 2010 8:38 AM (in response to fluffysunshine)

Congratulations fluffysunshine! I actually quit (cigarettes) about a week ago because I play for my college's ultimate (frisbee) team and I need to be tournament-ready by sectionals on April 17. Any size reason can turn in to a reason to quit, and yours sounds >= mine, so best of luck! Actually though, that kind of reminds of a funny story. Two years ago, in the summer after my senior year of high school, I was going to run a local 5k with my girl friend at the time, and the day of the race, she was feeling really sick and couldn't make it. So, thinking it would be cute to have her run with me in spirit, I put my timing chip on my left shoe, and hers on my right (she was already registered and it would be too late for a refund), and I ran the race with both chips. Unfortunately, I forgot about the speed differential between guys and girls, and whereas I had a pretty mediocre time for a guy (19:52, 2 min slower than my PR), she 'won' the age group for girls age 15-19. And got her name in the local newspaper, and had to turn down the prize because it was a huge embarrassment..

Oh, the many joys of running! But seriously, if you have that kind of natural athletic ability, then I envy you. Just do a long run anytime you are feeling crappy from nicotine withdrawl or anything else, and you will feel great afterwards. The first couple times after you do it once you have quit, you will probably have huge coughing fits (I still have some, but not as much), but those will stop in time and you will just be left feeling awesome. Like you will be for quitting. Good luck!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points