Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2896 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2010 9:16 AM by Gravity06 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
Sep 12, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2010 9:16 PM

Run Away Parents 3/29/10

Change in Routine

I infected our computer with the Trojan virus. The wicked virus has been removed and I am glad to be back online with an update. We had to buy a new copy of Windows 7.  I am too behind in posts and can't respond to everyone.  I was able to read them on my phone but iPhones are not compatible with websites that use flash technology.
Marie, I love your pics. Congrats to you two. Tell your daughter I love that medal!

Sadly, I am not running right now. The flesh on the inside of my knee is sill inflamed. I refrained from running last week.
I have been walking; doing sit-ups; doing push-ups off the wall; lifting 3 and 5 pound dumbbells; riding on our stationary air recumbent bike; walking; doing water aerobics; and Sunday morning at 3:30 AM I shot some hoops from court to court at work on my 30 minute break. I ice my problem area as needed during this time of not running.
I love riding the stationary bike. I am able to ride about seven miles on it in 30 minutes and I can ride up to 21 MPH. Of course, I don't ride that fast the entire time. I do intervals.  I think that the use of the stationary bike on my non running days has been very good for my stamina. Perhaps that is why I unexpectedly shaved three minutes off my race time last week.
My troubled area does seem to hurt more when I get off the stationary bike though so I ice it before and afterward. My husband advised me to take it easy on the bike but that is so hard. I love cardio!
I don't know how to swim and I had a hard time trying to do water exercises in a Jacuzzi. Our pool is ice cold so I thought I would try to work out in the Jacuzzi.  I thought the warm water would be good for my troubled area. I tried to kick off the side of the Jacuzzi and it was very difficult for me. It felt like my thighs weighed a 1000 pounds. I'm thinking about taking swimming lessons this summer.
I purchased a basketball  so I can keep shooting hoops this week without having to share my sons' basketball. I'm going to take the baseketball to work with me too. I'm working two extra 12 hour shifts this week. The basketballs at work all need air. Fortunately, we have a gym in the psychiatric hospital where I work and I can do something besides walking in the gym on my break at work. When you have months of running behind you it's a little boring to just walk around a gym. Ha.
I purchased some eight pound dumbbells and a foam roller. I'm not sure but I think I have a tight IT band in my right leg. I'm planning to use the foam roller to relax that band and other areas of my body.
Even though I'm not running I was two pounds lighter last week. Yay!
This week I plan to continue with weights, shooting hoops, and doing intervals on the stationary bike. Thereafter, I hope that I will be able to run again.
~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

• TBMcKay Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    1. Mar 29, 2010 6:53 AM (in response to catsrcul)
    Re: Run Away Parents 3/29/10

Happy Monday everyone!!

I ran a pretty easy 8 miles on Saturday then took yesterday off.  Was planning to do some cross training, but spending the rainy day watching movies with my family was so much more inviting.  I think we watched 4 different movies, but it was so nice to just do nothing.  This morning I ran 5 miles, I was on the treadmill and I kept it flat but bumped up the speed a bit.  I can't remember if I asked you guys this question or not.  But a friend of mine want me to run another half marathon in July.  I have one the first weekend in May and the last weekend in June.  This other one would be 2 weeks after my June half marathon- does anyone think that is too soon?  I will be in the middle of a marathon training plan and the distance for both of those races fits the "planned" long run for that week.  So, I wouldn't be changing my training schedule at all.  But I know races are more strenuous on your body than just your weekly long run.  I just can't decide if I should do it, but if I'm going to then I want to register before the fees go up in a couple of weeks.  I'm also looking at a half marathon in November in San Fransisco that goes over the Golden Gate Bridge.  Wouldn't that be an awesome place to run!!!  We'll see, though, because I will have to factor in traveling costs to racing fees.  But my husband would run it with me, well not "with" me he would leave me in his dust at the starting line.  But would be at the finish when I was done! 

Marie~ Thank you for sharing your pictures.  Your daughter is so cute!!  And I bet she is so proud of herself for running that race and even getting a medal!  Keep up the good work momma! 

Tracy~ Great run this weekend!  Glad you caught the mileage mistake before you headed out for your long run, would have been a bummer if you felt guilty after such a great run! and Happy Anniversary!!

Ali~Great job on your 5k!!!!  How exciting for you!  You absolutely disserve a massage for your birthday; in our house hints don't work- it's better if I just say what I want.

Campi~ What a great half time!!  I didn't start running until after all my babies were born.  So, I can't give you any advice on that, Sorry.  I'm sure there is a ton of information out there for you though.  I only remember hearing my Dr. say don't start something when you are pregnant, but it is okay to continue what your body is use to, at least for awhile.

Karen~ I'm sorry your knee is still bothering you.  Your cross training activities sound great though, looks like you are doing all that you can to keep your endurance levels up!

Hope you all have a great Monday!  I'm going to have some coffee before the kids start waking up!

~Rebecca

2010 Events

1/23  Winter Predictor -13K - 1:19:15

5/2   Eugene -Half Marathon

6/26  Pacific Crest -Half Marathon

10/10  Portland -Marathon

• Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010
    2. Mar 29, 2010 8:47 AM (in response to TBMcKay)

Yay for Frances & Marie!  That is a great time, and thanks for sharing your photos.  A medal in her first race is a great motivator.

Karen, it sounds like you are taking good care of your knee.  I hope it responds soon.

Rebecca, I'm sure some of the other posters will have some good advice about your HMs.  As for me, I'm just in awe of an "easy" 8 mile run.  And the San Francisco half sounds SO cool.  Maybe if you can make yourself run one of those HMs at a slower pace than your normal raceday pace, it wouldn't mess up your training.

It turns out I did not win the massage in the raffle at my 5K, but I did win a one-month membership to a ritzy gym.  Better for my body in the long haul than 50 minutes of massage bliss.  Husband gave me $ for a swimsuit for my b'day, and I did find a 2-piece, so I have some extra motivation to use that gym membership!  Big 3-7 is tomorrow, and I am going to take the day off.  Hopefully it will be warm & sunny enough for a trip to the beach with a good book.  My gift to me.

I'm pleasantly surprised that I am not as sore after the weekend race as I was last time.  I really didn't feel like I was making much progress on my training in March.  I only increased my distance by a half mile over the past three weeks.  But at least my body is recovering faster.  My April goal is to be able to run 10K by the end of the month.  That's less than a one-mile increase per week, so definitely do-able.

I hope you all have a great week!

Ali

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

Jan 2, 2010
    3. Mar 29, 2010 8:48 AM (in response to catsrcul)

By the way, Karen, sorry about your computer problems.  Yuck!

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4. Mar 29, 2010 10:08 AM (in response to Ali-Gator)

Hello Runaways!

Karen - So sorry to hear about your leg.  It sounds like you are doing all you can to stay in shape.  Two pounds!  That is fantastic! I hope you feel better soon.

Rebecca - In regards to he half in July - what is your friend's pace?  Do you usually try to stay together during the race?  If she is slower than you, go for it and consider the race your long training day.  If she is similarly paced or faster, I would think twice since you may not be fully recovered from your June half.  If you don't plan on running together, than I agree with Ai that just run at a slower pace. I would have a hard time giving up on running across the Golden Gate Bridge!

Ali - Do they do massages at the ritzy gym?!  I have never joined a gym, but after this nasty winter I might have to consider it.  Happy Birthday a little early.  A day at the beach with a book sounds wonderful!

Today is a rest day for me.  It is raining pretty hard anyway.  My shin didn't bother me at all during or after the 5 K.  I did notice before the race that my right shoe was a little loose.  I use lock laces, so I don't tie and retie.  I set the lock laaces where I need them and then slip on my shoes and go.  I think my son may have been fiddling with the lock mechanism and inadvertantly loosened them.  That may be the cause of my shin splints?  I am just glad they are better.

I would love to progress to running a 10K, but ever time I increase my distance I seem to get an injury.  I am going to stay at 3 to 4 miles for a few weeks then if injury free, I will try to increase distance.  Got to go paint trim!

Have a great day!

Marie

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• Angiesrunning Amateur 32 posts since
    Nov 18, 2009
    5. Mar 30, 2010 5:48 AM (in response to catsrcul)

I've been out for a while, but have read up on your posts:

Karen, looked at that link of Kangoo jumps and I am positive I couldn't walk in them, much less run in them!  I've never been known for my speed or athletecism.  We played horseshoes this past weekend and I can't even make the horseshoe into the dirt box much less around the pole!  So, to think of myself as an athlete b/c I run is kinda wierd for me.

Liz--Welcome!  I've only been running a short time and don't desire to beat a/body but myself.  It's kinda cool being at the back of the pack b/c I'm able to encourage my friends who aren't interested in fitness to run/walk.  As long as the street sweeper isn't directly behind me, pushing me off, I'm fine!  But I do want to improve my time.  Being 5' my short legs only go so fast.  I know I'll never be at the front of the pack.  I even have 70 y.o. passing me up!  ha ha  My goal is completion.  When I was training for my half marathon, I started running more on the front of my foot and aggravated s/thing.  At the same time I switched running shoes.  I'm not sure if my aggravation was due to the change in running or the shoes, but I have changed both back to where they were before.  I'm all for the natural gait.

Tracy P.-- I loved running with our dog.  We had a Shorkie.  I had to give her away though.  My 3 year old kept choking her (tough love) so she kept biting him.  I think he was scaring the "mess" out of her b/c she kept having accidents all over the place.  Since we gave her away (to a family w/o little ones) she has had 0 accidents.  It's been 3 weeks--3 glorious weeks.  It was like have 2 toddlers.  They were fighting all the time.  But I do miss running w/ her.  Since I'm 5', I can understand your battle w/ the scale.

SCALE PROBLEMS--For 6 months, I didn't lose ANY weight (& I ran a half marathon in those 6 months).  It was frustrating.  My fault didn't lie in the gym b/c I work out hard.  My fault was in the kitchen.  One day it just clicked:  If I could use as much power in the kitchen as I do in the gym, my weight wouldn't be a battle.  I've lost 3 lbs. in the past 3 weeks.  I have 5 more to go to reach my goal.  I didn't really change much about my eating.  But before I would eat s/thing.. say a piece of cake and think, no biggie, I'll just work it off later.  Changing that thinking has helped me to lose those 3 lbs.  Keep it up and the weight will come off.  Once you've been stagnant for a while, you just need to tweek your exercise or your dieting.

TyKy-- congrats on registering for your 1st race!  You can do it, I know you can.  I had that same mindset for my 1st half--if I have to walk it, I will.  The thing is, there are a lot of walkers that train for half marathons.  & people of all sizes.  Some will be smaller than you and some bigger than you.  It's just so much fun to do it.

Okay, so that has caught me up to half way of last week, have to go now.  I'm taking my 3 year old to the zoo today.  Maybe he'll try to torture some monkeys!  ha ha

Angie

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    6. Mar 30, 2010 2:33 PM (in response to Angiesrunning)

Angiesrunning wrote:

When I was training for my half marathon, I started running more on the front of my foot and aggravated s/thing.  At the same time I switched running shoes.  I'm not sure if my aggravation was due to the change in running or the shoes, but I have changed both back to where they were before.  I'm all for the natural gait.

That's OK.

You have to do what's best for you.  For goodness sake, don't hurt yourself.

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• TBMcKay Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    7. Mar 31, 2010 7:49 AM (in response to catsrcul)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALI!!!!  (a day late, but I didn't check yesterday, sorry!)    Marie said exactly what I was going to say "Do they have massages at the new gym??"  It will be fun to try a new place, maybe find some cross training classes that you like.

Marie~ I'm so excited for your kitchen to be done, I'm sure not as excited as you though.  I hope you'll show us pictures.  I'm glad your shins are feeling better- that's good news.   The friend that I would run the second half marathon with does run slower than me, so that's a good idea to keep pace with her.  2 weeks before I will run "my" race, then the second one I could pace slower and use it as a training run.  That would probably work out okay.

I ran 3 miles hills yesterday, I thought I was going to die but I finished and kept my speed consistent. Today is a cross training day for me.  I tried a new video this morning that my husband got for me.  And it pretty much kicked my butt!!!  I might have to go for a bike ride later also becasue I spent half the video of the floor trying to breath and watching the video in awe of what they were doing.

Hope everyone has a happy Wednesday.  I believe it is house cleaning day around here, yippy!! 

~Rebecca

2010 Events

1/23  Winter Predictor -13K - 1:19:15

5/2   Eugene -Half Marathon

6/26  Pacific Crest -Half Marathon

10/10  Portland -Marathon

Nov 18, 2009
    8. Mar 31, 2010 8:37 AM (in response to catsrcul)

Rebecca, you said you ran slow and steady 10 min. miles...that's not all that slow.  I've been trying to work on my speed lately.  I have short legs.  Monday, I ran 2 miles and made it a 9:15 mm.  Last night on the tm, I ran 4 miles 10:30 m.m.  This morning I ran 3 miles 10mm.  It's def. mind over matter.  It's a huge feat for me.  I ran constant, w/ no stopping.  It's def. not slow!  ha ha  How fast do you normally run?

Tracy P-- I keep asking my husband, "When am I going to get runners' legs!?"  He just laughs.  One day, I will.  I just gotta keep truckin.

Rebecca--obviously you're a stay at home mom, since you homeschool your oldest.  I have 3 kids and am absolutely positive I could not homeschool my oldest.  She is VERY strong-willed.  and she is a social butterfly.  She needs the interaction that school brings her.  My middle and youngest could be homeschooled, but I know that God hasn't called me to that.  Each kid is different and you have to do what is in that childs' best interest.  E/body keeps asking me if I'm putting my littlest in pre-k this coming school year and are shocked when I tell them no.  Kids have 12 years to be in school, plus 4 more if they go to college.  I don't think they an "extra" year of school will help my little one that much.  Besides, boys (on average) are slower learners than girls.  Alot of boys need to be held back later on b/c they started too soon and aren't grasping things as they should.  (I work w/ the youth at my church and see this time and time again).  This being said, I suggest to keep your little one at home one more year and let him play and have fun.  Or put him in half day kindergarten.  My oldest (girl) went to half day kindergarten and she has done well.  My middle child  (girl) went to full day and has done well also.  But in the end, it's what is best for your child.   I know a little about how you feel running in the storm (I won't run in rain) but I ran 7 miles in the horrible wind and "Big Bertha" hills on Sunday... makes you feel good to accomplish something so great.  You never know what the weather will be like on raceday so just run in the weather God made for that day...unless it's rain!  ha ha

Marie--I think you gave Rebecca very good advice about what to do w/ her child.  Thanks.  Made me think alot too.  My 3 year old will be in K the fall of 2011.  Guess I need to work a little bit w his abc's.  I like the dirt advice and spaghetti sticks.  Cute  congrats on your race.  I can't wait to run a 5k w/ my girls.  It's almost time to start training for some summer runs...after my half marathon in May, of course

Tracy-- happy late anniversary.

Maybe later I'll catch up w/ this weeks activities, but that catches me up from last week.  My wonderful in-laws keep my 3 year old one day a week.  They love it, he loves it and I love it.  This morning though, he hid on the sofa under his blanket and said, "me stay home".  I said, Dylan maw maw and paw paw want you.  He said, "but I'm gonna miss you".  Aww how sweet.  Almost broke my heart, but he has the best grand parents.  They're super great for him.  I'm loving this time w/ him and so appreciative of being a stay at home mom.  (He did go to g'parents house... I needed some me time).   Me time= clean up  I did go to the gym this morning though and ran 3 miles.  Have a great day all.

Angie

Feb 11, 2009
    9. Mar 31, 2010 10:26 AM (in response to Angiesrunning)

Hi Runaways!

The best laid plans of mice and men........ It has been raining here since Sunday night - heavy torrential rains with wind.  Today was forcast to be sunny with a high near 61!  I was going to be able to run!  Then my son wakes me up at 5 am literally choking on mucous!  He has had the beginnings of a new cold right on the heels of an old cold.  He nose has been runny and he has had a cough.  Ran a cool mist humidifier in his room.  Well early morning things spiralled out of control.  He couldn't catch his breath.  He was coughing so hard it became vomiting.  I got him up, and we blew his nose over and over and over.  I have never seen so much mucous!  Finally, I turned on the shower and had him hang out in there for awhile. Dosed him with Benadryl, used his inhaler.  Grabbed a bucket, just in case.  Moved the humidifier to my room and put him in bed with me.  After about an hour he fell asleep. He seems a little better now.  Ate a good breakfast and not so great lunch.  I know if I call the doctor he will say humidifier, benadryl, Delsum, fluids, which I am already doing.  The stuff coming out is clear and he has no fever.  I don't feel comfortable leaving him with his sisters while I run.  Maybe when my hubby gets home, I can run.  I did get a swim in last night so I haven't been a total slacker.

We are waiting for the contractor to finish up a few details on the kitchen.  I already moved all the food, dishes, etc into the cabinets.  I need to get curatins, too.  Kitchen table is still in the living room.  Hopefully by Sunday - Easter! - it will be all done!  I will send a pic when it is done.

Henry's getting out the Playdough - I better go supervise!

Have a great day, ladies!

Marie

Confucius

Jan 2, 2010
    10. Mar 31, 2010 1:39 PM (in response to catsrcul)

Happy Hump Day!  I'm sitting here at my office, waiting to let my landlord's wife in so she can make some decorating decisions.  As soon as she leaves, on with the running shoes and out the door for 3 miles.  I am in great need of a sanity fixer! 

Thank you for the birthday wishes!  It wasn't quite the day I had planned but it was good.  I had some energy work in the morning, and had planned on spending the rest of the day relaxing at the beach.  Unfortunately, my husband is nasty sick.  He has a stomach virus and bronchitis.  And you know how it is when men get sick.... So I ended up spending the day keeping the kids away from Daddy's germs. We did make it to the beach for a little while & I had a nice quiet lunch date with my baby.  Dinner date with both kids didn't go as well (spilled milk, overturned chair, fussy baby, "check please!").  So far, the kids and I are feeling healthy, and my hubby seems a bit better today.  I do NOT want that stomach virus.  After my run today, I am taking them to a park and maybe having a picnic if I can get it together.

I am excited about the gym membership.  It's $125 value for a one-month membership, & I have no idea what kind of extras that would include.  Seriously, for that price it ought to include a monthly massage or something.  I know they have some good yoga classes, I hope that's included.

ANGIE, Your comments about your dog and your kid cracked me up.  "Tough love".....   Great job on the speed training!

REBECCA, What video did you get?  I like working out at home, but my kids are not very cooperative.  Baby cries and tries to climb up my leg while I'm in downward dog.  Daughter wants to exercise too, and after 5 minutes she starts asking if we can change back to Nick Jr.

MARIE, Sorry to hear about your little sick one!  I hope he gets to feeling better soon.  It sounds like you have the sick-kid routine down.

~Ali

Feb 11, 2009
    11. Mar 31, 2010 1:44 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Hey Everyone!

I just got back from a run with the dog.  We covered over 3 miles in 30 minutes.  It was very warm toward the end of the run.  I was wearing a tank iwth a lightwt polar fleece on top and long leggings.  I wore the fleece so I would have a zippered pocket for my phone.  So here is my question:

What do you ladies do on a warm/hot day to carry your phone/ keys/ tissues while running?  I don't like wearing any kind of belt.  None of my warm weather running clothes have useful pockets.  I do wear a Road ID.  I usuallly leave my phone at home, but would like to be able to carry it with me just in case.  I have carried it in my hand before, but that got sweaty.  It is not a big iPhone but a small flip phone.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Marie

Confucius

Nov 18, 2009
    12. Apr 1, 2010 3:44 PM (in response to catsrcul)

Karen-- I hate that you can't run right now, but kuddos to you for still doing cardio.  I HATE the stationary bike.  One day though, after I get a few marathons under my belt, I'd like to do some triathalons.  Which means I need to learn to cycle and swim.  I can do both, but not well enough to compete in a race.  I'm thinking 4 years from now.  I think that would be awesome.  I love the way I feel after a really hard workout!  I've been thinking about swimming lessons myself.  I put the girls in swim lessons a few years ago and from listening to the teacher, I have improved on my technique.

Rebecca-- I'm no expert and have only done one half, but I don't think it would be too soon to do another 3rd half.  I've read of people doing 2 halves that close to each other.  I also read of a girl running 52 marathons in 52 weeks..Of course, I'm sure she's properly trained.  I just read about it.  Don't know a/thing else about it.  Running over the Golden Gate Bridge... now that would be awesome.  I live in Louisiana.  The farthest east that I've been is Texas.  We're planning a vacation to New York at the end of May and am excited to run in Central Park.

Ali-- Happy birthday.  I turned 30 a few weeks ago and still am not near bikini ready-- so I am in awe.

Marie-- I have to drive to town to run b/c I live so far in the boonies.  I leave my phone in the car, but would love an armband for my iphone.  I put my car key either on my tire or in the pocket of my shorts.  I drop a water bottle half way through my run so that I  don't have to hold it while I'm running.  I pick it up after my run is over.

I never did the c25k or any other training program when I started running.  I just laced up my shoes and went out.  I did a little bit of research after I started on breating techniques and which gait would be best for me.  So, I've been trying (this week) to run longer distances w/o stopping.  Monday, I did 2 miles w/o stopping, Tuesday, 4 & Wed. 3.  I also worked on my speed.  What do you other moms do?  Did you use a training program?  I'd like to get my girls involved in running a 5k this summer.  So, maybe I'll work on the c25k w/ them.  I know that I can do distance now.  Now, I'm ready to improve my time and condition.

Working out w/ a video-- My husband and I tried the p90x for a while, but it didn't work out w/ the kids.  It's a great workout though.  Didn't lose any weight and the food they want you to eat is outragously expensive--and not kid friendly.  The kids kept coming in the room w/ us, crawling under us and on top of us... so we're putting in on the shelf for a while and going to the gym where they have to stay in the "kid room".  But I do like the workouts.

School is out tomorrow.  Both girls are spending the night w/ friends and Dylan is at paw paw's.  So, Chuck's taking me on a date.  A date on a Thursday night!  Wow, I kinda feel young again.  We're probably gonna see The Bounty Hunter w/ Jennifer Anniston & Gerard Butler... I hope it's good.  My diet is blown for the day already so it's a good day for a date.

Good night all.

Angie

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    13. Apr 1, 2010 4:01 PM (in response to Angiesrunning)

Angiesrunning wrote:

My husband and I tried the p90x for a while, but it didn't work out w/ the kids.  It's a great workout though. 

I cringe when I see some of those exercises on TV (The yoga moves in particular make me want to run and hide. )

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

Feb 11, 2009
    14. Apr 1, 2010 6:49 PM (in response to Angiesrunning)

Good evening Ladies!

I was up again at 4 am with my sick son.  This time he didn't fall back asleep after the shower/Benadryl/ inhaler routine.  I let my hubby sleep and I bunked in Henry's room.  It will be a miracle if I don't get sick too.  When we finally gave up on trying to sleep and had a bit of breakfast, he experienced another coughing fit and vomited.  He has kept very little down beside popsicles.  I gave in and called the pediatrician who wanted to see him.  Turns out he needed a steroidal inhaler in addition to the albuterol inhaler.  Doc says he is experiencing spasms in his larynx.  Since we got home and used the inhaler he has been a bit better.  He has even kept down several yogurts and a few cookies and took a long afternoon nap.  What a lousy way to spend his spring break!  I hope to get a good night's sleep tonight.  I have an eye doc appointment in the morning.  If my eyes aren't too dilated I hope to get in a run.

Angie - I didn't do any specific running program when I first started either.  I just ran out the door and went for as long as I could.  I did check Chi Running Book out of the library and read most of it.  I do yoga, so the breathing part made sense to me.   I use some of the techniques (breathing) for swimming and biking too. I have tried to incorporate intervals into my running to improve speed.  I have looked at the C25K program and think it looks great for a new runner.My daughter who is 17 is doing it now.  I hope you had a great date night!

Good Night Everyone!

Marie

Confucius

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This