Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

62923 Views 366 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2011 8:25 AM by HeatRash Go to original post 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 Previous Next
  • Curtis721 Legend 203 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010

Just checking in.  I found a sloution to my shin splints on youtube.  I watched a couple of videos on proper form, including a chi running video.  I have been killing myself with bad form.  I tested out the chirunning form on the Treadmil today and WOW!  Such a small change in posture and paying attention to landing on the midfoot instead of the heel made an incredible difference. No pain in the shins or hips, an effortless pickup in speed and I actually had fun!  So W8D2 is done.  Talk about a change in outlook!  Winter had returned to SoCal, but it is sunny in my mind. 

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

Started C25K Jan. 19, 2010 - Graduated April 14, 2010

If I didn't have so far to go, the journey would end too soon.

• owensarrows Expert 53 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010

Hey! I have been MIA, sorry. I've missed you guys but......motherhood calls. I had my first run yesterday since....like, last Thursday maybe??  It was unbelievable slow. I was running into the wind but still. Took me 40 minutes to run 3.12.  But, hey, my goal is to run the whole race, not walk, not just finish, not win, but run!  The speed will get there later!  My children have been sharing a cold they picked up at the Y beginning of last week. Snotty noses, coughs, 105 temps. I haven't slept in ummm, today will be day 7! But, got the run in. Not sure if I am going today or take the day off!  I need to get back in to the swing of things, just tough when you are so thouroughly exhausted. I miss everybody too!  COME BACK LONG LOST FRIENDS, WE NEEEEED YOU!!!!!!

P.S, my shoe things are super feet, not smart feet or happy feet, whatever I called them.

• bikenkaty Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009

Curtis - I could just hug you for your post on proper running. I watch people run past me and try to do what they are doing and I just couldn't get any forward momentum. I tend to go up and down instead of foward.  I watched some of the videos and realize now I have been running incorrectly my whole life??!!  I guess from years of cardio walking I assumed running was the same.  I feel like such a dork.  I can't wait to get out and try running WITHOUT heel striking.  Thanks for sharing what you learned.

Bike Rides:

Tour de Houston 3/21/10 70 miles

Bluebonnet Express 3/28/10  78 miles

BP MS150 Houston to Austin 4/17-4/18 168 miles

Running:

Graduate C25K 4/7/10

Officer Training School PT test Ready by 4/23/10  1.5 miles under 15min

• Jenni2009 Expert 48 posts since
    May 8, 2009

JWF,  You totally need to see this link about shin splints and other things.  It's only 5 mins long.  I can't wait to get back out and try this out!!!  http://http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=rkUqkdPQHis&feature=related

Curtis, thanks for posting about this because I've never even heard of it (chi running) before.....Seems everyone quits running eventually b/c they hurt their knees or hips.....and I actually did experience a little lower back pain when I started but it went away pretty fast.  This is so cool!!!  I WONDER if this is why sometimes during a run, it's like I'm in the zone....I wonder if I've actually sunk into this kind of rhythm and didn't know it....because sometimes, I swear, it's just an awesome run...and other times, I just feel like my legs are solid, and hitting the ground with a thud.

Please keep sharing the knowledge!  I didn't go looking for "how to run" because I figured I at least knew THAT!  It would appear not! 

• slowspeed23 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jan 24, 2010

Hi again, thanks everyone for the information, encouragement, and inspiration.  I am on week 9 now and ran 3 miles on the treadmill yesterday.  This weekend I am going to see if I can do it outside.  And, NEXT weekend is our 5K!  (Carlsbad 5000)  I think I'll be ready.  Oh, and I have lost 3 pounds, and according to the scale, my body fat percentage has gone down too.

Feb 23, 2010

I'm glad the post on form and Chi Running was helpful.  I am familiar with Chi Walking and have used that with some success over the years.  I heard about Chi Running but was waiting for the book to come in on hold from the library.  It didn't occur to me (being a Boomer, not a Gen-Y) to look for the video online.  (Headslap!) The book finally came in yesterday so I'll start reading today.

When I ran yesterday, I just paid more attention to how I was landing and tried to do the slight tilt forward.  The difference astounded me.

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

• Hollywog22 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jan 16, 2010

G'day all!  bikinkaty--I get that sluggish feeling some days, too.  Some days there is that extra spring in my step, and some days I just feel like I can hardly lift my legs.

Heelstrikes/chi running:  Every now and then when I am running outside I notice that I have fallen into a pattern of running almost 'in place' and not getting alot of forward motion.  It is almost like I am just bouncing up and down and not putting any forward 'thrust' into it.  I correct myself immediately, but I tend to zone out when I am running so I never know how long I have been doing it.  (I AM moving forward at the time, just not very fast).  I can always tell when I upload the runs off of my sportband to the Nike+ website exactly where I was doing it, though, because there is a big dip in the line graph.  And I have never actually conciously checked to see if I am landing on my heels.  Hummmm...I will be paying attention tonight.

Hope everyone is feeling great!  I certainly am enjoying the beautiful weather here in So IL.

PS...wasn't there someone else who is doing the APA Fast and Furriest 5k on April 25 in St. Louis?

• run'nutah Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 3, 2010

Hello all,

I wanted to share some info I received from an orthopedic surgeon.  He told me asphalt is 10 times softer than cement.  So if any of you run on cement, it is best to run on asphalt or another softer surface.  Cement does so much damage to knees and feet over time.  I hope this is helpful!

Planned races:

Salt Lake Marathon 7/24

Completed races:

Salt Lake 1/2 Marathon 4/17   1:47:21

Salt Lake 1/2 marathon 4/08

Salt Lake 1/2 Marathon 4/09

Moab 1/2 Marathon 3/09

Provo Canyon 1/2 Marathon 8/09

Three 5K races 2005-2007

Feb 17, 2010

Hey guys!

I finished the program this week and I have my 5K tomorrow. Still not fast but hanging in there!  My last run was 1 minute faster than the run before so, maybe I am improving.  My goal is just to run the whole thing. I will work on speed for the next one, maybe!  I am really just enjoying it!

I did have one run that was supposed to be 3 miles and turned out to be 2. I was not prepared. I had not had anything to eat or drink, trying to get all my "chores" done and all the sudden realized the little ones were down for a nap it was now or never! So, put on my shorts, long pants, tank top, winter keep me warm shirt and off I went. It was 77 degrees! I got to two miles when I felt really dizzy and had visions of TLP napping on the beach!  I realized my five children were home alone and I didn't have a cell phone so, I walked the mile home and when I got to my driveway, another 1/10 mile, I started yelling for my son...bring me gatoraide, must have gatoraide. Anyway, back at it yesterday in summer gear and it went well!

Where are all you old timers? I miss you!

• slowspeed23 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jan 24, 2010

Congratulations and good luck tomorrow!  Looking forward to hearing about it.

Feb 17, 2010

Thank you! BTW, I have been pushing the jogger on my two mile evening walks but not for the runs. Just not ready for that yet!

Feb 23, 2010

Oldtimers?  LOL.  I'm hanging out on the Over 50 and doing C25K thread. (My munchkin is finishing up her freshman year at UC Berkeley) I finished W8 - doing better with the shins by reading through Chi Running by Danny Dreyer.  I did Tai Chi for several years but have gotten out of practice.  He talks about relaxing, loosening up joints and moving from the core (all tai chi concepts that I remember).  I tried applying it to just walking around the office today and realize that I usually put way too much force and effort into everything.  No wonder I'm stiff and sore.  I really have to focus to stay loose, but it feels good.  Now I have to practice that on my next run.

Feb 17, 2010

Ok, you do know by old timers I mean those of us who have been going through this whole thing right????lol!

• Jenni2009 Expert 48 posts since
    May 8, 2009

I guess i would qualify as one of the ol' timers!  I have not checked in because I have not run since last weekend!  I just finished up week 8 today.  Did just fine but as I was trying to implement the chi running, it felt good sometimes and awkward other times!  I think it takes practice to get it down.  Seems to me that running and having your foot strike the ground directly beneth you (instead of out in front of you which can cause injuries) made me feel like i was plunking my feet down rather heavy, like with a thud....I don't know -- I think the best part of chi for me is leaning forward -- because it sort of does help -- and then keeping your head up (to keep spine all lined up) is also good since i think i kinda watch the ground.....

Anyway, next week just adds another 2 mins.  I have been running with the podcast that Carli put out:  running into shape.  I'm going to miss her voice!  I swear, I like to hear her give me directions!  I haven't signed up for any races; I guess I should.  Speaking of which, OA, how was your 5K???

And Holliwog, did you say you are running 5 MILES???  How did you go from 3 to 5???  Please do tell.

Keep in touch, everybody and keep up the great work!    jenni  

Feb 17, 2010

5 miles? Come on, I'm barely doing this! LOL!  My 5K was absolutely amazing. I am hooked. The first two miles were pretty brutal for me, very hilly and ending with one hill so stee that when I got to the bottom and started up there wre about 40 runners on the hill and there were ony 3 running. I was one of them Anyway, after that there was one more hill up and then down and then the last mile was flat!  I had downloaded an "old school" song, hadn't heard it in years and didn't listen to it until the race. So, when I got to my last 1/2 mile, right after my worship music came. I like big butts and I cannot lie...... I was laughing out loud for the rest of the race. (especially since I have one I am trying to rid myself of) Anyway, I smiled the the whole last mile but was laughing out loud the last 1/2!    It was thundering and lightning when I headed out but cleared for the race until the last mile. It was my 4th run at 3.1 miles. I love, love, love, LOVED it! If you aren't signed up for one, sign up. It gives you a goal and an encouragement when you finish!

On a rough note, I did get passed by a man juggling while running and a man dressed as a hot dog! But, the good news, a good bunch of people that blew past me at the beginning, I passed at the 1 mile mark because they were then walking!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points