Skip navigation

3020 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2010 7:35 AM by Busdriverkid RSS
JDMtheking Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 30, 2010 12:17 PM

D1 basketball

I want to play D1 basketball, i am extrememly talented and hard working and i am passionate for the game but i live in Brick, New Jersey and i go to brick township high school. we are not a great team so scouts wont be coming to see our games, i know i will be able to play at the D1 level but i just dont think i will get noticed, if anyone has any info on how to get noticed let me know please it would be greatly appreciated

• Duke Pryor Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 19, 2009
    1. Apr 1, 2010 8:00 AM (in response to JDMtheking)
    Re: D1 basketball

Jesse,

Good day my friend. Hope all is well and you are finishing up your school year strong in the class room.

I am glad to see that you have the desire to play at the next level. I am not sure what grade you are in, but here are some things i would try out to gain or get some type of exposure to yourself so you have the possibility to play at the next level. I would first go and talk to your high school coach and ask him what he thinks about your game and if he see's an opportunity that you can play at the next level. Also ask him can he help you reach your goal of playing at the next level and what all will it take. After you discuss it with him see if you can put together a highlight tape of your games, and maybe create your own website. I am not sure of the names, but there are various free sites that you can use to make your own highlight video of yourself. With new technology and everything you have to be a little creative about marketing yourself and trying to get a coach to see you. I would also see if you could go to a college basketball camp in your area throughout the summer. Going to a fundamental or skills camp on a college campus is a direct way for a coach to know about you. If you turn out to be really good at the camp, people talk about you and the buzz starts. I would also see if you could play basketball for a non-scholastic team, (AAU, Travel team, ymca league, etc.. in your area)

Jesse, you might want to reach out to a "scouting service" and ask them is there any basketball showcase that they are going to have in your area, and see if they would be interested and coming to see you play. Those are the options I would offer to you for now.

Jesse continue to work hard and keep your passion of the game.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have other questions about your situation.

I wish you the best

• iAthletes Legend 429 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    2. Apr 1, 2010 11:15 AM (in response to Duke Pryor)

Jesse,

Duke gave some great advice to get this discussion off to the right start. And just to add on to a few of his points, here is a good 8-page ebook (free) you should read. It details a structured process you should embark when self promoting yourself.

Here's the link: http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/the-recruiting-road-map---journey-towards-a-scholarship/8357172

One of the biggest mistakes I find when discussing this issue with parents and young players is that they all think coaches will come to them, that is not all true. You need to be proactive in your recruiting process. Building your own website is one way you can do that, the link above details that.

Don't let living in a small town get you down, there are ample ways to reach your dream of playing d1 and its the best experience ever and well worth all the hard work. Start as early as you can with this process and get your name out there!

If you ever need any other help, always feel free to shoot me an email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Good Luck - Danny

Danny

Founder of the worlds first ever online basketball camp, 3-Point Academy

Our home website; Innovative Athletes

Email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Follow iAthletes on Twitter

• sufan33 Pro 84 posts since
    Apr 26, 2010
    3. May 2, 2010 5:52 PM (in response to JDMtheking)

send out mixtapes

• Amateur 9 posts since
    May 23, 2010
    4. May 25, 2010 6:04 AM (in response to JDMtheking)
  • Busdriverkid Legend 362 posts since
    Apr 16, 2010
    5. Jun 12, 2010 7:35 AM (in response to JDMtheking)

Yeah do what iAthletes13 said

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points