Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

955 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2010 11:04 AM by skypilot77 RSS
Solsenz Amateur 14 posts since
Apr 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 1, 2010 10:13 AM

Warm Up for 1/2 marathon

Have seen mixed thoughts on warming up prior to a race. For my shorter races, I usually do an extensive stretch. Have never been one to do some jogging beforehand, as I'm always worried I'm using the fuel I'll need, but have stretched. Is stretching well still ok? This is my first half, and I want to finish, but most important don't want to get injured. Thanks.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,372 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 1, 2010 10:32 AM (in response to Solsenz)
    Re: Warm Up for 1/2 marathon

Personally, I think the jogging is more important than the stretching, and you probably shouldn't stretch without warming up (jogging or the like) first.  The April issue of Running Times has an article on stretching as part of a dynamic warmup, rather than static stretching.

Len

Len

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    2. Apr 1, 2010 11:04 AM (in response to Solsenz)
    Re: Warm Up for 1/2 marathon

Solsenz wrote:

Have seen mixed thoughts on warming up prior to a race. For my shorter races, I usually do an extensive stretch. Have never been one to do some jogging beforehand, as I'm always worried I'm using the fuel I'll need, but have stretched. Is stretching well still ok? This is my first half, and I want to finish, but most important don't want to get injured. Thanks.

Last summer at my daughter’s graduation as a doctor of Physical Therapy I had a great conversation with one of her classmates. This classmate’s Doctoral project was on the value of stretching prior to exercise: focusing on -- did it prevent injuries? I was happy to hear that their research showed that it depended upon the individual. There is no blanket statement which can be made concerning the value of stretching.

My happiness came from the fact that I have been an athlete all my life. I, personally, have never witnessed any value from stretching.

In regard to running alternating jogging and walking in 2 minutes periods is what works for me. In a 5K, 10K, 5M race — I will do about 3 or 4 sets of the running and walking. For a half marathon, 20K, or longer — 1 little jog and some walking is just fine.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points