Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1726 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2010 1:09 PM by gawd RSS
TrinsPop Amateur 34 posts since
Mar 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 1, 2010 7:43 PM

W5D2 Blues

Hey everybody,

First thing, it's great to hear everybody doing so well & pushing on. Congrats to all!! Here's my problem. I re-attempted W5D2 last night and made it thru with alot of effort. And once again I woke up this morning & felt like a truck had run over me. Muscles were sore & stiff all over, and my frame even felt sore. The stiffness & soreness worked out thru the day but I still have some serious ache going on.

FYI, I'm jogging on a good treadmill,  wearing good Asics shoes and have struggled with some of the 1st day workouts but bounced back really qiuck for day 2's. I've slowed my jog down to 4.5 mph &  my walks to 3.5 mph & doing a 2% incline (same as always).

HAs anybody else had this problem? I'm begining to think I just might not be a runner. I enjoy it but man, this is killing me. I've even thought about sticking to the 5 minute increments & just adding more on the end of the run. The extra 3 minutes per segment seem to be what is causing my problems ( maybe??) not sure. I'm hardly sore or stiff after the W5D1 workouts.

Any suggestions or help would be really welcome!! Thanks...TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

• Dallasdoll08 Pro 111 posts since
    Feb 11, 2010
    1. Apr 2, 2010 8:18 AM (in response to TrinsPop)
    Re: W5D2 Blues

My W5D2 was terrible also.  Ended up with bad leg pain and not really running the next week.  AFter I took 3 or 4 days of rest then slowed way down (4.0) and stayed there for about a week.  I'm back to running a full 25 minutes, although slowly, without pain.  I did speed up to 4.2 this morning.  When I can run 2-3 miles straight without pain I will work on speed then.  Also make sure you eat no longer than an hour after your eat to refuel your muscles.  I didn't do that on a couple of mornings and it made a huge difference for me.

I'm not expert but that's my two cents worth and it worked for me.

Good luck.

Linda

• richdaley Amateur 31 posts since
    Feb 18, 2010
    2. Apr 2, 2010 10:15 AM (in response to TrinsPop)

It is funny that you posted because I just attempted week 5 day 3 and I came here for encouragement.

It has been a weird week.  I was going to do day one on Sunday and I did the first two runs but during the third I stepped in a pot hole and it was pouring out.  I didn't get hurt thank goodness but I did drench my foot to the point that my socks were squishing so I stopped about 2 minutes into my third run.

I redid day one on Monday on the treadmill and finished it without too much trouble.  On Wednesday I went to the gym to do W5D2 but somebody called during my warm up and the program for my phone that tells me when to run stopped while I was talking so I just did the workout manually.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize that day 2 was different from day 1 so I just did day 1 again.

Today I went to the gym to do day 2 for real but after the first 8 minute run, I felt good so I kept going, hoping to do the full day 3 workout.  Anyway, I only got to 17 minutes (my calves started to hurt at about 15) and now I am feeling a little bad.  Not too bad considering I weigh almost 300 lbs (probably less now!) and I'd get winded playing video sports games 5 weeks ago but I am not sure if I should try to get out and do day 3 again this weekend or continue with week 6 (the first two days of which look easier).  Any thoughts?

To answer your question about pain, I always make sure to hydrate very well before and after I run.  I am relatively poor so I usually drink one of the commercial sports drinks like gatorade G2 rather than Excelerade which is supposed to be better.  I find my muscles recover much more quickly when I do.

Rich

4/10/2010 Stroehmann Bakeries Walk/Run Against Hunger, Philadelphia, PA - 52:21

4/25/2010 Spackenkill High School TA 5K, Poughkeepsie NY - 45:33

2/12/2011 Cupid's Chase 5K, Philadelphia PA - 40:45

Upcoming:

4/9/2011 Stroehmann Bakeries Walk/Run Against Hunger 5K, Philadelphia, PA

September of 2011 - Dutchess County Classic Half Marathon, Poughkeepsie, NY

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    3. Apr 2, 2010 11:54 AM (in response to richdaley)

Not sure if this will help you TJ but I found while doing the program that I needed to really drink a lot of water the day before and day of a run....also I do yoga after every run and have never been sore....I'm now up to 8 miles long run and still swear by yoga!

Good luck you can do this!!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• gawd Pro 174 posts since
    Mar 9, 2010
    4. Apr 2, 2010 1:09 PM (in response to TrinsPop)

I would just take two rest days then restart/repeat week 5, or at least do a few W5D2 sessions.  You will be glad in the long run.

I also agree that drinking plenty water everyday helps as does stretching after the run and crosstraining.  I really notice the difference if I havent.  I repeated week 3 and although I didnt like the feeling of 'being behind' I am soo glad I did.  If I hadnt done that I know I wouldnt be doing so well now and it taught me, as they say, patience really is a vitrue!

Im now due to start week five on Sunday and so far feeling great about it and dont seem to suffer from aches and pains, stiffness....well, yet!  Try those tips out and hang on in there!

To the other poster, (sorry dont remember who) I wouldnt skip that session and move to the next week, I would do the session and put it down to 'these things happen'

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...