Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4344 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2010 9:17 PM by silvinadanny@hotmail.com RSS 1 2 Previous Next
ZenWarrior Rookie 7 posts since
Mar 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 30, 2010 5:06 PM

Motivation help!

Hello everyone! I am a 36 year old guy that has finally decided to get healthy again.  I have registered for a 5K in May, got new work out clothes, decided to use the Vibram 5 fingers shoes, and have hit a wall!  I was supposed to start my program of running two days ago but my old routine of work and coming home and sitting on the couch is still very strong.  What are some tips or inspirations that you all have had in breaking that barrier? 

Thanks!

• smilesdaily Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 30, 2010
    1. Mar 30, 2010 5:13 PM (in response to ZenWarrior)
    Re: Motivation help!

I loaded my IPOD with 30 mins of my favorite energy songs and started on the elliptical.  Then I told my wife when I finish my first 5k i would take her shoppping.  Amazing how encouraging she was.  Work out on the way home.  You can do it.

* 2/24/10   Started C25K

* 3/27/10   5k 33:14

* 6/27/10   5k 29:10

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    2. Mar 30, 2010 6:07 PM (in response to smilesdaily)

Train before work then when you get home from work you can take it easy. Just get to bed a little earlier than usual. So what if you feel less than 100 % towards the end of the day at work, just remind yourself the running is done so when you get off you can be a couch potato because you earned it by running before work.

Music as mentioned also helps. Break that routine and get out there!

Onward and Forward !

• fldogwalker Pro 68 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    3. Mar 30, 2010 6:28 PM (in response to calbiker)

it's not physical..  AT ALL..   your have to ask yourself what you really want.   your mind will look for the easy way out..  your body is physically capable of soooo much more.  the satisfaction of sitting on the couch and being lazy will last seconds..  the satisfaction of pushing yourself harder and further than you thought you could will last a lifetime.. and the results (obvious increased fitness levels and a stronger healthier body) will give you continued self satisfaction.

"run if you can..  walk if you have to..  crawl if you need to..  just don't quit"  - DK

next time you go for a run..  and you are considering quiting and heading for the couch.. behonest with yourself as to WHY you want to quit..   is it because you can't put one foot in front of the other?..  I doubt it..  is it because you can't breathe?   highly unlikely..      your mind is just looking for the easy way out.    your body can go much farther.. much longer..   and you in the end will become much stronger.. physically AND mentally..

and in regard to your work schedule..   set your alarm and get up before work to work out... you will fee so much better ALL DAY LONG..    I promise..  after a couple days you will get into a routine and look forward to it.

just be honest with yourself..    "if you think you can or you can't..  you're right"   HF

"Enter a race.  Train to become faster and stronger.  Honor the commitment. Reap the rewards." - me

http://triandrunflorida.com/

• runningman400 Legend 191 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009
    4. Mar 30, 2010 8:31 PM (in response to ZenWarrior)

I know exactly how you feel, I still struggle sometimes when I'm hit with things that throw me off my game (new work schedule, holidays, illness, etc.) 

It can be tough to take that first step to get rolling, the way I get around it is to not think or plan it too much and just go do it.  It seems to be easiest if I just stop at the gym or go out for my run right after work, music really helps me keep going once I get going too.

As far as what keeps me motivated, there are a few things:  If I'm pissed-off about something, I've noticed I run at a good pace for a good distance and don't even realize it!   I'll think about the work that I've put in already and how it'll be for not if I don't get going.  I think about the reason I got back into running in the first place.  I think about running my 5K and what it's gonna take to reach the goals I've set for the race. 

There are 2 things, above all else, that motivate me when I really need it, maybe you can relate or find your own...I had a track coach/mentor that died awhile ago and when it gets really tough I can still hear him cheering me on.  The other is my favorite quote "Without struggle, there can be no progress" -Frederick Douglass

I hope you stick with it and I hope you find your own reasons to get out there...GO GET IT!!   

"WITHOUT STRUGGLE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS" - Frederick  Douglass

"TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, TOUGH PEOPLE DO!"

• TomHorn Expert 42 posts since
    Dec 30, 2009
    5. Mar 31, 2010 7:38 PM (in response to ZenWarrior)

When I started I decided to get up early in the morning and hit the road before I had to go to work ... and I was not a morning person ...

If you want to run when you are done working, then do it before you actually get home. Bring your running gear to the office and change there. If you can run near your office then great ... if not, stop at the gym or a park someplace on your way home. Tivo your favorite shows and tell yourself you can watch them when you are done.

Yep, it's pretty much going to suck getting out the door for the first few days as you get started. I found that just getting out the door was the hardest part. Once I got going, it was easy to actually finish the workout, so don't be afraid to try anything to actually get yourself out the door. Bribe yourself with anything you like to do as an excuse ... or find someone who will give you grief if you skip out.

The good thing is that it will pass, and although you probably don't believe it now ... at some point you will have flipped 180 degrees and will be mad at yourself when you have to miss a run ...

• Julie_Arndt Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 10, 2009
    6. Apr 1, 2010 10:34 AM (in response to ZenWarrior)

As most of the posts have pointed out, your roadblock is mostly psychological. When I couldn't seem to get off my butt, I realized it was partially because I was intimidated by running and the changing some really-ingrained behaviors. I started off by just setting a time to workout every day and starting off by just waking up at the preset time for the workout and then easing into just going out and walking or just running for 5 minutes or so. After only a day or so I felt infinitely more motivated since I didn't feel like I was going from cold-turkey to full on exercise routine!

"One of life's mysteries is how a  two-pound box of candy can make a woman gain five pounds."

C25K begun 3/22/10

• BabyCatcherNat Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 29, 2008
    8. Apr 1, 2010 8:57 PM (in response to ZenWarrior)

Thanks for starting this thread, ZenWarrior and a big thanks to all who have offered advice.

I have the same problem with motivation.  It seems like every Sunday night I print out a blank calendar-I plan out my runs for the week down to the minute and I am motivated-ready to run and can't wait for Monday morning so I can hit the road. I am GOING to start running again this week! I put my clothes out, I make the perfect playlist and load it onto my iPod, I charge my GPS watch and my iPod.

Monday morning the alarm goes off-time to run.  My bed is warm. It's cold outside. My bed is soft. My bed is comfortable. I can run after work.  I reset the alarm for another hour. I come home from work on Monday-my legs ache, my feet hurt.  I have a headache, I'm tired.  I only scheduled three runs this week, I can skip Monday and make it up on Tuesday.

Tuesday morning rolls around-my bed is still warm and soft and cozy.  Work was crazy.  I can run Wed, Thurs and Friday.

Wednesday morning.  Did my bed get even more comfortable?  It's snowing outside, it's not safe to run in the snow-I could go to the gym but then I'd have to pack a bag to take-I don't have time.  I go to work, I have a mama in labor-I won't be home until late.  It's OK, I still have Thurs, Fri and Sat.  I'll just have to be sure to not skip any more workouts.

Thursday morning-I was at the hospital late, I need sleep. Sleep is a very important part of a healthy lifestyle-I better sleep and run later.  Maybe on my lunch hour I can get a run in.  Oh, my husband is off work early today and wants to go to lunch...I can't pass that up, it never happens, I'll run after work.  Everything aches!  If I run now I'm sure I'll get injured.  I can run on Friday and Saturday-missing one workout won't make any difference in the big scheme of things will it?

Friday morning-oops, I forgot to set my alarm early. The office is a little less crazy on Fridays-there's a meeting at lunch so I'll run after work.  Oh, baby on the way...she'll be born by early evening, I can still run.  Ah, finally a run....oh, the kids want to watch a movie together-I haven't really had a chance to spend much time with them-family is more important.  No work tomorrow, I'll get at least one run in-maybe I'll run in the morning and the evening.

Saturday morning-morning rounds at the hosptial-I could take my clothes and run on the treadmill at the gym there.  Oh, I forgot my running shoes-I'll go home and get them and run at home.  Well, I better get the grocery shopping done first.....BTW-am I suicidal?  The grocery store on a Saturday?????  There's three hours of my life I'll never get back.  Well, time to start cooking dinner-I should still be able to get one run in.  I'll just go and start some laundry then I'll be out the door.....uh-oh, it's dark already-I can't run in the dark-I could go to the gym but that's such a waste of fuel to drive there and back....besides, will one work out in a week really help that much??  I should really plan better.  Tomorrow is Sunday, I think I'll take a few minutes to write out a plan and put my running clothes out, charge my iPod and my GPS...oh, I should make a motivational playlist too...that should do it-OK, I'm motivated. I'm GOING to start running this week!!!

Embrace the Journey

• Sean -Mako- Dreznin Rookie 4 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    9. Apr 2, 2010 6:53 AM (in response to ZenWarrior)

Zen,

The hardest part if putting your feet on the floor and getting your butt off the couch, but once you do that, just keep moving...  The way you feel after all those endorphins have run through your body, is the immediate reward for the work you put in.  The health benefits come along the way!

I was 268 pounds 18 months ago, now I am 205 and still working on becoming even healthier!  Some of the best support comes also from doing a local 5k with a friend or a group and the positive support and motivation this can bring is priceless!

Cheers!

Sean

• smilesdaily Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 30, 2010
    10. Apr 2, 2010 7:05 AM (in response to BabyCatcherNat)

Baby Catcher,

I get it.  I have a wife, three kids, and a family business.   Our most precious commodity is time.  Although I am a morning person, I usually stay up late (11:00-12:00) to squeeze in some time with my wife after the house is quite.  Needing to be up by 6:30 am makes a morning workout unrealistic.  Once I accepted that, things got infinitely more clear.  I had to workout after work before I got home.  I would not go back out to the gym and I would not work out in our home gym..  I simply had to get out of work on time and get home 1 hour later than I would have.  I missed family dinners, I missed homework help, I missed baseball practices, etc.  

As I said I got my wife on my team.  That was the key.  For a while you simply need to make your work out a top priority.  Work out needs to come before, time with the family, before cleaning the house, before everything else.  After 4 weeks of working out 4-5 times a week you will feel so great, motivation wont be a problem and you can once again balance your workouts with the normal chaos that is life.  At least that is what worked for me.  Good luck.

* 2/24/10   Started C25K

* 3/27/10   5k 33:14

* 6/27/10   5k 29:10

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    11. Apr 2, 2010 8:50 AM (in response to ZenWarrior)

Trust me once you get a few decent runs in on a consistent basis your energy levels will be noticeably higher so getting up early will be so much easier.

As for the beach running? Are you talking in sand? Sand is going to really test your body, legs especially. I would think just starting out it would not be desirable running in the sand, just my two cents.

Back to running before work...your day will be so much better throughout work. Your energy levels and overall feeling will be so much better, you will notice your day at work will seem easier.

Good Luck

Onward and Forward !

• runonair3446 Amateur 33 posts since
    Jul 31, 2006
    12. Apr 2, 2010 9:27 AM (in response to ZenWarrior)

I don't know if this will help, but it certainly did for me... I think the biggest challenge for anyone that starts running, is getting over the initial "bump." That bump is where you go out for a run and realize that your fitness has improved-a noticable change has occurred and you can tell that you're better/stronger  then when you first started... It is getting to that point that is the hard part for most of us....To me, consistency and committment is the only way get there-I once was read (somewhere) that whether you want to break a bad habit or start a new (good) habit, it takes (40) days... Looking back to when I started running again (after several years of not running) remember that it indeed took about 4 1/2 weeks of consistent running to where I felt I had reached the "bump." I can't tell you how good that felt!  And that for me, was the single most motivator to keep going... That was (6) years ago...I don't normally consider myself a "morning person," but do agree with some of others who suggested running in morning before heading off to work-It seems like if I wait, there is always something that seems to get in the way. I have to run in early morning out of necessity for the most part, as living in Phoenix the summer temps. are brutal. The other benefits from running in the early morning is the air is cleaner and I don't have to compete with the traffic. I'ts peaceful and quiet. And another plus is, most weekend races are held in the morning so your body is used to running at that time of the day... Good luck-you will get there!

Planned Races (so far)

June 06, 2010 -  RNR Half Marathon- San Diego

Jan. 16, 2011 - PF Chang RNR Marathon- Phoenix

Goals

Forever keeping running fun!

BQ in 2011

Run a 50 mile Ultra

• silvinadanny@hotmail.com Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 2, 2010
    13. Apr 2, 2010 10:18 AM (in response to ZenWarrior)

Thank You for starting this thread!!! I never run before and started training a couple months ago; however, it has not been easy to stay motivated. All the answers and suggestions to your post have been significantly helpful to me also! I just registered for my first 5k in May and I'm excited to train harder with that goal in mind!

Thanks again!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points