Skip navigation

3096 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2010 6:48 AM by BOSNPM
DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 1, 2010 10:26 AM

Apologies and Updates

Hey everyone. Just wanted to apologize for being MIA the last few months. Active has me locked out of their system from every server except for IE which I never use (and I only figured out IE works a few weeks ago). I'm also still not running due to my back injury so I don't really feel as though I fit here anymore. Plus, I had a really bad back flare a few weeks ago which left me immobile (pain) and unconscious (meds) for several days. Thankfully I'm doing much better (thanks, in part, to gorgeous flowers that Ike and Shell sent!) and my PT gave me clearance to walk the Pittsburgh half. It's not running, but it's a step (well, 13.1 miles worth of steps!) in the right direction. I also have a massive review that will ultimately turn into the introduction to my dissertation due soon which has me reading and writing like crazy with little time for procrastination (what this board has been so good for in the past!). In good news, a few weeks ago I found out I'm a new member of PowerBar Team Elite and it's an awesome opportunity that I'm really excited about.

I hope over the next few months as my work load goes down and my back heals I'll be floating around here a bit more; I've also been back to blogging now that I figured out how to get into Active. I'll be missing this year's MCM because I'll be a leader on an i2P expedition but I hope that over the summer I can provide the same support and guidance that I had when I ran my first marathon. What a crazy few years it's been! So glad to see that all seem to be well 

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Apr 1, 2010 11:03 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)
    Re: Apologies and Updates

Kat,

I have missed your writing and views very much.  I often tell my daughter about things you have done and hope she becomes as well rounded a woman as you are.  She will be off to Chapel Hill in Aug.  Thanks and take care of yourself.  Phillip

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Apr 1, 2010 11:03 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

kat,

True Friendship is never having to say your sorry!!! so you dont need too!

With that said Im so glad your doing well with your recovery and I hope it continues. I had noticed recently you havent been here in a while but just chacked it up as being busy, i not here alot either I lurk alot just not post.

Congrats on your sponsorship you should be so proud and you are the most deserving person I know to get at, so now I can tell all my friends that I know someone Famous..

I know Ive said i wasnt going to run the MCM this year and I still am trying not to but with regisrtation coming up next week its going to be really hard not too.  IIf I go I will miss you at Dinner and Car pool thats a fact Jack.....

Im still on for my HIM at the end of July and 2 marathons in the fall but the MCM isnt one of them but that can change......

Good luck at the Pitt half But i know you would need it...

Anyway Doreen and I are thinking about you and wishin you a strong recovery, and if you famousness ever comes to Michigan Look us up.....

Take care,

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    3. Apr 1, 2010 2:06 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Kat - it's always good to "see" you even if you only pop in once in awhile.  I do see you on facebook now and then, so I don't feel like you've fallen completely off the face of the earth.  It's great to hear your back issue allows some baby steps of the walking half - many would call that a huge feat, but we all know for you that it's a baby step.  I send you healing vibes on a regular basis and look forward to more race reports from you in the future that are always so enjoyable and such a treat.  Good luck on your continued healing and good luck on your educational endeavors.

I'm not doing MCM this year either - I have selected the Kansas City Marathon which is October 16th because that is where my sister lives and it will be a perfect excuse to go and play with her all weekend.  I'm hoping to double team the weekend by seeing my nephew in the marching band!  I'm a marching band fanatic and he's on the drum line of a really cool band (Northwest Shawnee Mission High School - it's a big deal band in Kansas City area!)  I still feel like MCM is "home" and do plan to do another one some time or other, hopefully.

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Apr 1, 2010 7:48 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Kat,

Don't know you, but miss reading your awesome posts and adventures.  Understand the injury thought, and look forward to seeing you around the board as able.  BTW, I was sidelined last year, but still pushing for my first marathon this year.  Again, your writings and those of the other umm.... 'seasoned' athletes, inspired me. 

Grace and peace,

Michael

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    5. Apr 2, 2010 1:39 AM (in response to mikehelvey)

Kat,

I have been MIA on here some myself.  I love being MIA from time to time.  I can not talk about the injury because after 20 years or more of running I am still injury free.  Most I have ever dealt with is a slight case of ITB.

I will be at MCM this year and will also be running the a marathon in Hawaii in September.  I am starting to think I will not be at any race before either of those.  I ran 11 miles today and April is off to a fine start.

Jimmy

This place is like home!!!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Apr 2, 2010 6:08 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

There's no real reason to apologize.  You have to deal with what life throws at you.  If it takes you away for a while, we miss you.  Just so you come back.

Len

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Apr 2, 2010 6:11 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Hi schweets.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    8. Apr 2, 2010 10:26 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Kat we miss you, of course.  I''m so glad you're on FB, so I don't feel like you've completely disappeared.  Can't wait to hear about your adventures in the near future.

• MarathonDream Pro 288 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Apr 2, 2010 11:46 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

VERY good to hear from you again! I hope you heal up quickly and get back to kicking butt.

Take care of yourself.

Training For: 50k Ultra Marathon (2nd)

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    10. Apr 2, 2010 12:54 PM (in response to MarathonDream)

Hi Kat!  I'm really hoping your back heals up good and we can read more about your exploits and adventures!  And good luck with your psych dissertation work!  I've gotten a pretty good taste of what going through that's like thanks to my wife.

Come back here again soon!

Ron

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    12. Apr 4, 2010 5:34 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Grateful you dodged the worst of that encounter and looking forward to your recovery otherwise, we'll be cheering whether you're posting or not, Kat!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    13. Apr 5, 2010 6:48 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Kat,

She would love it, we looked at I2P web site and she was very excited about the possibility.  She could be contacted on face book, if you would like.  She is off to UNC in mid Aug, and you know what the collage schedules are.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...