Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4267 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2010 10:44 PM by Gravity06 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
Feb 11, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 5, 2010 7:09 AM

Run Away Parents 4/5/2010

Hi Runaways!

I hope everyone one had a wonderful Easter.  The weather here has been gorgeous – sunny and warm.  It was nice to have lots of family time this weekend.  But I do have a concern that I want to share with you all.  I love to work out and usually go all out in my activities whether it is running, biking, etc.  I have been trying to get my family more involved in the things I like to do.  That is why I have my 10 y/o running with me.  Well on Friday morning I wanted to go for a bike ride and I asked hubby and 17 y/o to join me.  All three of us are doing a cycling event in a few weeks, so I thought a good workout would be nice.  All of us headed out for a bike around town.  My problem is that we didn’t go as fast or as far as I would have gone without them.  So I was disappointed in the workout.  I didn’t let them know how I felt because I don’t want them to feel bad about holding me back.  On Sunday afternoon, my hubby, 3 of the 4 kids and I went to the local state park which has a 4.3 mile multipurpose, paved trail for biking, running, etc. (14y/o stayed home to do homework!)  The three kids had bikes – Henry’s has training wheels – hubby had rollerblades, I had my running shoes and the dog on a leash.  I was glad to get the family out for a beautiful afternoon.  I alternated running/ walking the dog and pushing Henry on his bike.  My 17 y/o did the whole trail, the rest of us went about 1+ miles then turned around.  Again I felt like it wasn’t a good enough workout.  By the time we got home, I had to make dinner etc.  I guess I wish I had more time to have “family time” and “me time”.  I hope I don’t sound like a total idiot.  I really do enjoy the family time and don’t want to give it up.  I guess I’m just wondering if anyone else has issues like this.

Have a great Monday!

Marie

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• TMachen Pro 114 posts since
    Jul 22, 2009
    1. Apr 5, 2010 8:12 AM (in response to Francessmom)
    Re: Run Away Parents 4/5/2010

Good morning everyone!

I had a crazy busy Easter week; I think I need another spring break to recover from this one.  I did manage to run Monday and Tuesday on the treadmill- 5 and 3 miles respectively.

I ran a race on Saturday called The Wild Woman 8k. I totally ran it only because I wanted a shirt with 'wild woman' on it. lol!  It was a great race,  very well organized for an inaugural race.  The course was mildly rolling which was a *wonderful* change from the running I typically do. There were no mile markers which threw me initially. I looked at my watch and saw 12:30 had passed but I hadn't seen a marker. Once I realized there were no markers I was much better mentally.  Finished in 45:50 (unofficially, results aren't posted) which is an improvement on my 5 miler 2 weeks ago (8k= 4.97 miles)

This morning  I ran5 miles outside in just over 50 min. Considering all the food I ate this weekend, I'm  surprised I could move at all! lol!

Marie -  I totally understand what you're saying. As the mom of 3 little ones, my 'me' time is practically non existent unless I"m running...I can rarely even go to the bathroom alone. I have to remind myself that 'this is just a season.'  They won't be little forever so I run when I can and try to just enjoy any exercise -type family activity we can do.  It is hard to balance though because I am a better (read nicer, more patient) mom when I get regular breaks to regroup and relax. I don't know what to say other than I'm  right there with you!

~ Tracy

My blog about Life and other stuff

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

~Ovid

• Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010
    2. Apr 5, 2010 8:49 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Marie, I hear you.  I think it is so important to get your "me" time.  I would try to look at the family exercise time as something separate and extra.  You still need your time alone to work on your own goals & maintain your own identity.  It's funny you brought that up today.  My 5/y/o has been dying to run with me, and the few times we have even gone walking together, I have gotten so frustrated because I don't feel like I'm getting any kind of workout.  This morning I told her that I would start run/walking with her once a week.  That will be in addition to my own workouts.  Today, I'm scheduled for a short run, so I thought when I get done with that, I'll pick her up and we can run/walk one mile together.

Tracy, Great time on your 8K!  I'd love to see the Wild Women shirt if you get a chance to post it.

Here's another sign that I am hooked:  my husband & I have been debating about going to a friend's wedding next month out of town.  Neither of us really want to go, but it's going to be hard to get out of it.  It looks like I may end up going while he stays home & works.  So I went online this morning and found a 5K early on the morning of the wedding.  It's at a zoo, so it would be fun for the kids (as long as I can find a friend to watch them while I run).  So I would still have to make a 4 hour trip with my children to attend a wedding, but at least I could run in a fun race.

Hope you all have a great week!

Ali

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009
    4. Apr 5, 2010 1:00 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Marie, I feel you on the children slowing you down. I am just so happy that they are out there with me though. I didn't grow up in a family that did active things together. The TV was on all the time. They will soon be able to keep up with you and even surpass you one day. My 10 y/o is able to keep up with me now.  Growing up in an active family changes a child's life, me thinks.

I had a terrible weekend. I went to work on Friday night at 7 PM. I received one of those 3:30 AM calls no one wants to receive. My uncle's wife called from MS to tell me that he was killed. We were close and I had talked to him just hours before he was killed. He got onto his bike to buy a pack of cigarettes for her from a nearby service station. Someone ran over him and left him lying there like a dog. It was a hit and run driver. My uncle went on the news yesterday to ask someone to come forward if they saw anything. My uncle was only 49. He had lived most of his adult life as an addict. He came to know Christ and had been transformed from head to toe. He was a completely different person. He had been married only two short years. I'm going to miss his texts and phone calls and seeing him.  He was here in FL visiting us recently and we spent a lot of time together.

I remember him chiding her for smoking and I'm just so sad.

Yesterday, I received more bad news. My sister told me she kicked out her husband of 15 years due to his infidelity. They have a 13 y/o daughter, an 8 y/o son, and an 11 month old son. So sad. It's like another death in the family.

I took the children to the beach this morning. My mind was very scattered though. I had trouble finding the spot we were supposed to meet our friends. I ended up walking a 5K trying to find our van before we left.  I just laughed about it and thought, "I crack myself up." I knew I was in trouble when I saw a sound welcoming me to a different city.

On a better note, I purchased a hot pink ten speed bike at a thrift store. The bike is in good condition and the tires look brand new. I'm looking forward to using it. The sports medicine doctor thought a regular bike would be less strenuous on my thigh than the stationary bike.

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

Jul 22, 2009
    5. Apr 5, 2010 1:37 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Ali – That’s so cool that you found a race to run when you go to the wedding! A zoo run sounds fun! I’m going to FL in a couple of weeks with my MIL and two SILs and tried to find a nearby race. No go, so I contacted to local running club to map out 6 mile and 10 mile routes. lol!  As for my shirt, I’ll have to figure out how to post pictures. It’s a cute enough shirt, but not as wild as I’d hoped. I’m very happy to have another tech shirt to run in though.

Marie – Major bummer on the road kill. eww!  I passed a ‘sleeping’ squirrel this morning but he wasn’t stinky.  I also love women only events; my first race was women only, and I don’t think I would have had the confidence to run in a mixed race. There was some confusion with this event and a few men did run, but it was a great race overall

Karen – I’m so sorry to hear about your uncle. And I’m really sorry to hear about your sister’s husband. I hope that all works out.

Great news on finding the bike. I hope it works for you so your leg can heal and you can get back on the road soon.

~ Tracy

~Ovid

• runmamagirl Amateur 16 posts since
    Jan 6, 2010
    6. Apr 5, 2010 3:40 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Hee hee, remember me? Blast from the past!

Hello lovely ladies! Just stopped by to say Happy Easter. I wish that I had the time to stop in more regularly, but alas, as this thread is discussing - me time is such a premium these days. I rarely have enough time to run, enjoy my wee man and my big man as well as do fun things like get on here and chat to you all...oh yeah, Nd then there is work too!

Happy to see everyone's running is going well.

I think I would have ran that race as well for the "Wild Women" shirt - what a hoot!

I am still on track to my first half on May 1, a little nervous, but can't wait. Did a 12K a few weeks ago, my first real race and it was fantastic! Totally hooked and now looking for races to run wherever I go. I did amazing time, faster than I have ever run and so enjoyed the feeling of running through my city.

Hope to check in a bit more often

Have a fantastic short week.

I'm trying to sweat everyday for 2010...even if its just in a sauna some days

Upcoming Events for 2010:

The Star City to Surf 12K Run : March 21, PB 1:18:25

Hanmer Springs Half Marathon : May 1

SBS 30th Anniversary Half Marathon : June 6

• Angiesrunning Amateur 32 posts since
    Nov 18, 2009
    7. Apr 5, 2010 7:37 PM (in response to Francessmom)

sevenslave--congrats on the weight loss!

Marie--I had a similar issue this weekend.  My husband is an "all or nothing" kind of guy.  Right now, his attention is on body building.  But he sometimes says he could run 5 miles w/ me anytime and feel great.  So I begged and pleaded w/ him to run 5 miles (I was supposed to do 8).  He relented and we put on our running shoes and headed out the door.  I kicked his butt!  It feels good too!  I'm not the kind that just goes all out.  I try to do my best, but sometimes that changes from day to day.  I know that I was supposed to do 8 miles, but in the grand scheme of things, I had private time w/ my husband (kids stayed w/ maw maw and paw paw).  We enjoyed it.  We were able to talk.  That is so much more important than to PR.  Next time, you get out there, you can run harder/faster/longer.  But for one weekend, it's not that big of a deal.  Just enjoy your time and lock those memories in your memory bank.   (It does feel good that I beat my husband at something, though!  At the end of our run, his face was so red and he was sweating up a storm.  I was barely panting.) 

Karen-- Our t.v. was on all the time too.  I like to find things to do with my kiddos.  I do need "me" time though.  So so so sorry about the loss of  your uncle.  I know words can't heal what is broken in your heart, but I am praying for you and his wife.

We are talking about "me" time when running.  That really is my "me" time.  I have 3 kids 11 & under, so my running is all for me.  My girls though (11 & 9) are showing interest in running.  Not for athletics in school, but to have s/thing special w/ me.  I'm thinking after my half marathon (May 1) that I'm gonna do either c25k or Hal Higdon's 5k training program.  There's a big Firecracker 5k run in North Louisiana that we can train for on July 3rd.  They see running is important to me and want to do s/thing special w/ me.  This will be in addition to my running though.

Hope you all had a super great Easter!

Angie

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    8. Apr 5, 2010 8:12 PM (in response to Angiesrunning)

Thanks, Angie!

I was beginning to wonder if anyone had seen that post.

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

Jul 22, 2009
    9. Apr 6, 2010 5:56 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Here's my Wild Woman shirt. Not too wild...I was hoping for for bright teal or something crazy. Oh well...at least I have another tech shirt to run in.   DH took this picture this morning after my 3.1 mile run so I'm a little sweaty and gross.

They just posted the results and I'm disappointed. They have my time as 46:07 and I stopped my watch at 45:50 *after* I crossed the line. And they have my age as 39 instead of 40. I was 6th in my correct age group. DH thinks I'm being silly...it's only 17 seconds.

I wonder if I should contact the race director. What would you do?

Attachments:

~ Tracy

~Ovid

• TBMcKay Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    11. Apr 6, 2010 9:05 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Hey Runaways!!

How is everyone??  It has been almost a week since I posted on here.  I had an 11 mile run over the weekend, which went really well.  Then 5 miles yesterday and 3 miles of hills today.  I've added in some new cross training and my muscles are killing me everywhere, but it's good pain.  And apparently needed it I'm this sore from excercise other than running then I definatly need more cross training in my schedule.  I dowloaded a Runner's World Core video on itunes and it's really neat.  It is about 35 mins. and half of it is stretching and half is working your core.  I really like it, and I'm excited to see some results from it! 

Marie~ I understand your conflicts with family time and exercising.  It's really hard.  I always make Sunday my cross training day because of that reason.  Then if we do something with the kids I just blow it off and don't worry about it.  But I feel that way when I run with my "running partner" because she is so much slower than I am, that I don't get a normal workout in.  I generally run with her on my off days because of that reason.

Tracy~ Great 5 mile time!!  I don't care which time is right, that is several mins faster than me.  I always take my watch time, because I can start it when I cross the startline and cross the finish line. It's a great time regardless!

Ali~ Good idea to find a race during the weekend of the wedding, it will make the weekend much more exciting for you!  =)

Karen~ I'm so sorry for you loss.  What a horrible weekend you had.  I hope you make time this week for some "me time" to help you get through it all.   I'm excited to hear how the bike works out.

Angie~  I love the idea of training for a 5K with your daughters!  They will cherish that time with you.

Hope you all have a great Tuesday!  I'm off to start school then out for some errands.  Yippy! 

~Rebecca

2010 Events

1/23  Winter Predictor -13K - 1:19:15

5/2   Eugene -Half Marathon

6/26  Pacific Crest -Half Marathon

10/10  Portland -Marathon

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    12. Apr 6, 2010 3:47 PM (in response to TBMcKay)

Hi, all!

Did a 22 minute mile today (2 minutes off my time at Gasparilla!  Yay!  )

I've got a 5K coming up on Saturday so I'm taking it easy this week.

Francessmom wrote:

Sevenslave - Belated congrats on the weight loss.  Every ounce is  a triumph!

Thanks, Marie!

Last week I went to the eye doctor for routine check up.  I wear  glasses for seeing far - driving, watching TV, etc.  My prescription is  unchanged and my insurance covers one pair of glasses.  So instead of  getting new eyeglasses (I'll just use the old ones) I ordered  sunglasses.  Not just fashion sunglasses but wrap-around sport  sunglasses! I had to pay a little extra for polarized lenses.  I don't  really like my regular glasses, but I do need sunglasses for running,  etc.  I can't wait to get them!  My current sun protection is a hat!

I wear a baseball cap and sun scarf (Mother HATES the scarf).  Down here in Florida, sun protection is MANDATORY.

I really don't care how I look to other people.  I do what works for me (I'm considering doing more night walks as summer approaches, though.  All the better to dodge the heat and 98% humidity! )

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• Angiesrunning Amateur 32 posts since
    Nov 18, 2009
    13. Apr 7, 2010 5:41 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Didn't get any running in yesterday & Monday, I walked 2 miles instead of ran.  That's okay though.  My 1/2 is in just 3 1/2 weeks.  I'm gonna run it in honor of a friend of mine.  She and her husband take in abused children.  The last child they took in was just 7 weeks old.  It's also fitting that April is Child Abuse Awareness month.

This is looking to be a stressful month for us.  We have decided to move.  Not just a little move, but 1 1/2 hours away.  Not really to be by family, but we will be closer to his sister, but mainly to get to a "big" town.  One that has running events for me and body building stuff for my hubby.  It also has activities for our kids.  We've been living in a small town (school is k-12), 3 miles down a dirt road and we don't even have a super wal-mart!  Maybe I'm whining a little, but I'm so not a country girl.  We have 20 acres and we don't do a/thing w/ it.  We have a contract on our place, now it's time to find a new house.  I've never lived in a "big" town--Shreveport--but am so looking forward to it.  So, in the midst of training for a half marathon, I've got to find a new house, pack up the old place and stay sane while doing it!  I did find a great school district though which is a huge priority for us.  It doesn't really matter what the house looks like, b/c my husband and I are pretty handy.  We can make a house look like we want it to.  What we can't change is the school district.  So we have an appointment tonight w/ a realtor.  Talk to you gals later!

Angie

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...