Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3039 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2010 9:00 AM by KWiley112 RSS
Cumbrian Amateur 33 posts since
Aug 19, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 5, 2010 6:15 AM

Need some advice re: Gatorade

Hi Folks

I've got a half marathon coming up next weekend and I've run the course for the previous four Sundays. I've never drunk anything other than water during my runs but this weekend I thought I'd try taking some Gatorade along to see if it helped. I think it did help for a little while - miles 5 to 9 - but I got to mile 11 and felt like I was completely done in. I ended up walking some of the way after that and overall I added just under 10 minutes to the time I've done the past couple of weekends...

So.... I can't help feeling like I'm missing something somewhere!!! All the runners I've ever spoken to have been amazed that I only drink water on longer runs. At the moment I can't help feeling I'd be better off loading up for a couple of days before the race on complex carbs and just drink water. But I'm also thinking that I must have done something wrong with the Gatorade. Make it weaker maybe? (it's powdered). Sip at it constantly during the race? Something cynical inside me is also wondering if it's all a bunch of sports marketing...

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    1. Apr 5, 2010 6:42 AM (in response to Cumbrian)
    Re: Need some advice re: Gatorade

Obviously sports nutrition is complicated but this is what I have been learning.

Drinking the G-ade is giving your body a carbo-boost. At the distance in the run that you said  your body was already working on negative carbs and buring body fat for fuel. All of a sudden it got a boost of straight carbs -- the body said "Yay!" But after the short boost it had to go back to buring fat for fuel. This is the let down.

I have re-thought the who carb-loading thing. The blood sugar can only hold so much energy. The energy of the carbs in the blood is burned rapidly. Thus, carbo loading the day before is pretty much useless imo.

Right now I am not carbo-loading and eating a normal everyday meal before the race -- high protien, low carb

I've got lots of thoughts on this but will stop here.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Apr 5, 2010 6:47 AM (in response to Cumbrian)

Personally, I think the main thing you would be getting is electrolytes.  For a half-marathon, your body should have enough stored fuel to complete the distance handily.  The extra calories (sugar mostly) might give you a little shot.  Did anything else change between your previous runs and this one?  Warmer weather? Faster pace?  Too many calories too quickly can leave your stomach feeling lousy but not "done in".  Thinning it might help because you're used to just water.  Or just skip the Gatorade for the race until you've had more time to experiment.

Len

Len

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    4. Apr 5, 2010 11:30 AM (in response to Cumbrian)

Cumbrian wrote:

Hi Folks

I've got a half marathon coming up next weekend and I've run the course for the previous four Sundays. I've never drunk anything other than water during my runs but this weekend I thought I'd try taking some Gatorade along to see if it helped. I think it did help for a little while - miles 5 to 9 - but I got to mile 11 and felt like I was completely done in. I ended up walking some of the way after that and overall I added just under 10 minutes to the time I've done the past couple of weekends...

So.... I can't help feeling like I'm missing something somewhere!!! All the runners I've ever spoken to have been amazed that I only drink water on longer runs. At the moment I can't help feeling I'd be better off loading up for a couple of days before the race on complex carbs and just drink water. But I'm also thinking that I must have done something wrong with the Gatorade. Make it weaker maybe? (it's powdered). Sip at it constantly during the race? Something cynical inside me is also wondering if it's all a bunch of sports marketing...

Perhaps it ought to be re-named Gator-Fade?

• mjm 62 Pro 91 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    5. Apr 5, 2010 11:46 AM (in response to skypilot77)

Living in southwest Florida I have found GTR ade essential if I go any longer than 10 miles,for a half stick with water.I always have a plain bagel and a banana about an hour prior to a half marathon and I always finish strong,best of luck,Mike

Cape Coral Yacht club sprint 1:03

FGCU sprint 1:03

Columbus Marathon 3:50-2010

Gator Half Ironman 5:43-2009

Venice sprint 1:09/25th overall

Captiva sprint 1:04

• CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    6. Apr 5, 2010 12:53 PM (in response to Cumbrian)

For years I have trained using only water for everything from 10K to ultras.  I dislike Gatorade a great deal, there is way too much sugar in it and you are more likely to bonk about 45 min after taking it in.  I would tell you - go with what you know and what you body is accustomed to.  Use whatever you have been doing in the training runs for the race.  Each long run is an exact rehearsal of the long run.  Do not change a think or risk being surprised on race day.

Spencer.

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    8. Apr 8, 2010 6:46 PM (in response to Cumbrian)

You might try adding electrolytes to your water.  I use Nuun tablets.  Here's a post I wrote about them recently;

Sweat a Lot?  You May Need Electrolytes!

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• JMSalsman Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 18, 2010
    9. Apr 8, 2010 7:48 PM (in response to how2runfast)

Thanks for the answers on this... I was curious too!

• Vervinator Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 12, 2010
    10. Apr 12, 2010 2:08 PM (in response to Cumbrian)

I use an electrolyte replacement called Thirst. It has electrolytes, amino acids, and other healthy stuff with very low sugar.

Drop me an email if you want more info. vemma4me@aol.com

• msucj21 Pro 58 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    11. Apr 13, 2010 8:57 AM (in response to Cumbrian)

I suggest ditching the Gatorade (or Hatorade as I like to call it) and try Vitamin Water Zero instead.  It is sweetened with Stevia, has no calories and obviously isn't packed with sugar like it's counterpart.  It tastes really good and has all the electrolytes and vitamins you need.  The best kind is the squeezed (it tastes a lot like lemonade). 

MSUcj21

3/21-Shamrock Shuffle 8K- 46:24
    4/10-Wrigley Early Start 5K- 27:36

4/25-Ravenswood Run 5K- 27:18
    5/1-CPD Run to Remember 5K- 26:54
    5/29-Soldier Field 10 Mile- 1:36:42

6/6- United Run for the Zoo 10K- 57:55

7/11- Utica Boilermaker Road Race- 1:31:29
    8/1-Rock n Roll Half Marathon: 2:13:57

• KWiley112 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 11, 2008
    12. Apr 13, 2010 9:00 AM (in response to Cumbrian)

I have found that Gatorade has way too much sugar to actually help with anything.  I have found a great sports drink from an awesome wellness company that you won't find on any grocery shelf.  It's called Sustain Sport and has only 30 calories per 16 oz. plus double the electrolytes of Gatorade.  Another known fact is, it's used by a few Olympic athletes.  Contact me for more details or visit my website...www.MyGreenCleanHome.net.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...