Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2425 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2010 4:29 AM by stella06 RSS
stella06 Amateur 8 posts since
Apr 24, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 5, 2010 12:48 PM

Running Chills

I have just started back running after a few years break. I have found that when I run/walk over 5 miles I get chills that last an hour or so after I finish. Does this happen to any one else and am I doing something wrong?  I and running/ walking a 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks.

• CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    1. Apr 5, 2010 1:00 PM (in response to stella06)
    Re: Running Chills

I would get those also after a long run on the weekend.  You are probably running in cool air and when you stop the sweat that you have been generating stops and now you are in wet running clothes, exhausted from the run and you are becoming hypothermic.  here's what I did - have a change of clothes in the car when you get done with a large fluffy towel.  change out of everything you were running in and get into warm clothes (high cotton content).  I usually have a favorite pair of heavy sweats, a long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt.  Run the heater in you car back to your house to keep you body temp up so you do not become chilled.  Good hot shower afterward will also help.

Spencer.

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    2. Apr 5, 2010 6:53 PM (in response to stella06)

I think there might be something more to it than just sweaty clothes.  I know with me when I ramp up my miles I get some strange side effects.   Could it be you added miles too fast and your body doesn't like it?   Sometimes ove training manifests in odd ways,  not just in over use injuries.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    4. Apr 5, 2010 7:45 PM (in response to stella06)

bcanada wrote:

I have just started back running after a few years break. I have found that when I run/walk over 5 miles I get chills that last an hour or so after I finish. Does this happen to any one else and am I doing something wrong?  I and running/ walking a 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks.

body temperature is regulated mostly by blood flow. I do not doubt that the weather and sweaty-clothing can make you feel cold. But it may be mild dehydration. With dyhydration the blood is not circulating as efficiently thus the body temp is not being controlled as well as the body can do it.

On longer runs on hot days in the blazing sun my body can develop goose-bumps and I feel cold. Once I hydrate they go away.

• jenster! Legend 295 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    5. Apr 5, 2010 7:53 PM (in response to stella06)

I'm with Skypilot - my first thought was hyrdation and refueling. After a long/hard run I need carbs/protien right away or I start getiing chills like I do when my blood sugar is low.

How are you hydrating on the run? Are you using a gel or some other sort or supplement during it? Are you eating/drinking after the run?

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

-Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

My Blog  |  Althlinks Profile

Fall Schedule:

9/17 Asheville Half

10/16 Nike Women's Marathon

11/20 Philly Marathon

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    6. Apr 5, 2010 8:04 PM (in response to stella06)

Not abmormal at all, especially in cooler weather!  It's just your body reacting to the cooling (sweat) it produces off of your technical gear.

My best advice:

Take a hot shower after you run

Or, at least bring dry clothes and change out of your sweaty tech gear.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...