Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1395 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2010 2:20 PM by caesar_august RSS
Aquarielle Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 5, 2010 10:26 AM

First time runner- Motivation?

All my life I have hated running, and suddenly, I woke up this morning with the idea of running through my stress rather than resorting to drugs or alcohol (as many of my peers do).

*just a side note: this stress is newly developed, and I have not dealt with it at all yet.

I have heard that running will make people feel healthier both physically and mentally, and I hope to see results after running for quite some time, but I'm not sure how long this will take. Anyone know?

I tend to give up on things quickly when I don't see immediate results, so I'm looking for bits of motivation to keep me going!

• winkirun Amateur 38 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009
    1. Apr 5, 2010 10:50 AM (in response to Aquarielle)
    Re: First time runner- Motivation?

I can completely relate to your idea of running off the stress.  I was the same way.  I had never been a runner, but then I went through this horribly stressful time when my husband wasn't working for over a year and all that goes with that, and I would wake up remembering that I was dreaming of running....just running and running and running.  I'm sure there is a whole bunch of freudian stuff associated with that, huh?  Anyway, that is exactly what I did.  I just put on some old sneakers (I have since learned to invest in good shoes), and I just ran around my block.  I felt so good after that, that I got up each morning and ran a little further and a little further.  I ran my way right through that stressful time, and I'm still running today.  I think that if you can just get out there long enough to get addicted, you won't have to look for motivation!  It will just come!  In the meantime, I am encouraging you to listen to that voice that is telling you to run, run, run!!! Hope it works for you like it did for me!

"You  gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really  stop to look fear in the face... you must do the things you cannot do." - Eleanor  Roosevelt
  • CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    2. Apr 5, 2010 1:43 PM (in response to Aquarielle)

I have been running for years and the stress reduction you feel afterward is immediate.  I find it a place to center my energies and find a way to then redirect those energies to solve the problems that face me.  My staff sometimes hates it when I go out to run as I come back with many new ideas and new projects.  Also there are the runs that I do on the weekends that are long trail runs that I start at dawn.  To be out there alone on the trail with only myself and my footfalls breaking the silence just centers me.  This is time for me, and for me alone.  No other email, phone calls or worries of the day can intrude on my run.   The stress melts away to unimportance when you are climbing a mountain or running along a stream.

• ch718 Amateur 12 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Apr 5, 2010 2:06 PM (in response to Aquarielle)

Running is a great stress reliever.  I have a stressful job + 2 little kids...I need the stress relief!  Exercise does that for me.  It's also been my dad's sanity saver at several points in his life.  Some people like silence while running so they can ponder the situation at hand and get answers/ideas, etc.  I like music that I can just lose myself in and not think for a while.  Go with what works for you.  Will you see physical results right away?  Probably not so much, but the stress relief is pretty immediate.  FWIW, I've lost 9% of my body fat doing the C25k program and I'm just about to start week 9 (the last week).  Is it noticeable?  No, not really.  I've only lost about 4 lbs, but that's just a number on the scale.  More importantly, I feel better, have more energy and am generally happier....which makes me a better mommy/wife/employee, etc.

So I think if you look for results in the right places, you'll find them right away.   Good luck with your stressful situation!

Getting back into a healthy lifestyle so I can set a good example for my kids.

Couch to 5k program February - April 2010.

4/25/2010 - Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5k 33:09

6/26/2010 - Binder Park Zoo Cheetah Chase 5k 32:42

• caesar_august Pro 85 posts since
    Aug 3, 2009
    4. Apr 5, 2010 2:20 PM (in response to Aquarielle)

While running is a great form of stress relief, exercise in general helps with stress relief. Depending on how intense the workout is, you'll kick up enough endourphins that you'll experience some euphoria when the workout is over. You might still be thinking about it, but you'll end up too tired to do anything about it.

The key would be to turn the workout into a form of cardio workout, where you get your heart pumping and you're exerting enough energy. If you're lifting weights, do not let yourself rest too long between sets (30 seconds), and by the end of a 20 - 30 minute workout, you'll be breathing hard if you were lifting a heavy enough weight.  If you're into martial arts, you can spend that time sparring with a friend and use their head as the person you're trying to get stress relief over...

Click Here To Download Your Free Body Fat Calculator

Personal Running Blog: Photos And Running

Upcoming Races/Events:

Past Races/Events:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points