Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4034 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2010 3:59 AM by matommy Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 6, 2010 6:21 PM (in response to matommy)
    Re: Couch to Marathon

matommy wrote:

I just ran 100 yards for the first time ever, and I plan to run Boston this year. Any advice?

Just kidding.

YOU CAN DO IT!  Don't let anyone tell you that you can't.  You have plenty of time to qualify for Boston and run it this year.  Just be sure not to increase your mileage more than 100% each week and get some good shoes.  Hey, all you need is a Can-Do attitude and you can do ANYTHING!  It is your mind that will get you across that finish line, it doesn't really matter how much running experience you have.   GO FOR IT!!!

JK back at 'cha!    Glad you got the joke....

With regards to the original poster, trolling for what? What's the motive?

A "Troll" is a term for someone who makes phony posts just to get everyone stirred up.  They drop a bomb like the original post here and then apparently get some kind of sick thrill reading all the responses.  I guess "troll" is another word for "Someone-who-hasn't-got-a-life".

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find real answers to your real questions here!

• dg12 Amateur 76 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007
    16. Apr 6, 2010 6:26 PM (in response to skypilot77)

Skypilot, you're right.  Every marathon I've run, the 20 mile point is still 1/2way to the finish. At any time your body can break down without a hint. Apart from injuries I've encountered overtraining syndrome because of my borderline OBSESSIVE nature that so many people see as being a good thing. IT AINT! It's a mental breakdown, lack of self control. OS will get you sick, cause your body to injure, lose perspective socially and other issues.

JMSalsman wrote:

Please don't let them get you discouraged.  If you REALLY want to run a marathon than there's absolutely nothing that will stop you.  Sure it's going to be tough, but if you've dedicated yourself to it, then go for it.  Then when you've done it, you can rub it in their faces that you proved everyone wrong!  Go get 'em!

JMSalsman, you're a marathon rookie compared to us. No ones rubbing anything into my face you childish dufus. No one here said it couldn't be done, look back at post. I did 2 in the same season within a few months of my decade or so of running sabbitacal. There's a right way and a wrong method to everything.

Oorah

Semper Fi

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    17. Apr 6, 2010 8:38 PM (in response to Mickey Balls)

• matommy Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 14, 2009
    18. Apr 8, 2010 3:59 AM (in response to skypilot77)

Gotcha, thanks.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...