Skip navigation

5294 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2010 8:20 AM by TheHealthyMD RSS
Josh-in-Training Amateur 9 posts since
Aug 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 9, 2010 1:09 PM

70.3 with a Head Cold anyone?

I signed up for my first Half Ironman and completed a challenging training program.  I felt fast, lean and confident like an endurance machine looking forward to a two week taper of 7 and 3 hours.

And of-course 5 days before the race my beautiful 2 yr old daughter brings home a cold - which wallops pregnant mommy, big brother and wannabe Iron dad...

Now I'm stuck caring for the whole house and can barely rest.  About all I can do is drink tons of fluids and eat endless fruits and vegetables.

Bottom line is I really really want to race on Sunday, and I would have to take a turn for the worse to not.

Doc thinks it's ok - given my general good health.  But I thought it might be nice to get advice from someone who has been through a 70.3 mile event.

Any advice in terms of fluid intake, monitoring heart rate, adjusting race plans?

Thanks,

Josh

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    1. Apr 10, 2010 9:34 AM (in response to Josh-in-Training)
    Re: 70.3 with a Head Cold anyone?

Hi Josh,

Smart to get your doctor's opinion. Years ago when I was prepping for IMFL, I had my hands full. We sold (fixed, cleaned & packed) our house & moved into our new house 5 days before driving from Wisconsin to FL for my race. My hubby was working nine million hours & since I was home with the kids I did most of the packing. In the middle of that germy, nonrestful state, I got an upper respitory infection days before leaving, and then my husband did too.

On the roadtrip down I used saline nasal spray, prescription meds from the dr for my cough, and lots of fluids. It turned out fine. Swimming in salt water was a little tougher, but thankfully I didn't have a cough attack in the ocean.

As an athlete (NOT a doctor) I love the sinuclense nasal mist or nasal wash. We have 3 kids, tons of school germs, and our youngest has bad allergies. The nasal mist really helps and it has a 1-way squirter so germs don't go back in the container with each squirt.
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/store/product/product_details.jsp?id=prod4130522

http://www.walgreens.com/store/store/product/product_details.jsp?id=prod2630220

As an athlete, I'd say you sound confident in your training & are excited to race. On race day, listen to your body while focusing on the elements in your control, like how you repond to each situation/moment of a long day/halfday. I haven't met you, but I really do hope you get the perfect day for racing. If you have a chance, update us with your race report or highlights post-race. Remember the solid training you've completed & focus on your key mental/technique power points throughout the day.

Race well,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Apr 12, 2010 10:58 AM (in response to Josh-in-Training)

also not a doc take a lot of fluid to flush out teh bug and take lots of vitamin C and maybe try echinicea (this sometiems helps me recover from colds quicker) but think you are still ok to race as long as the cold stays in the head. hope you and the family feel better soon.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Apr 14, 2010 1:24 PM (in response to Josh-in-Training)

wow great job especially on such a nasty day! hope ur feeling better

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• pinthebox.com Pro 94 posts since
    Apr 14, 2010
    6. Apr 16, 2010 10:06 PM (in response to Josh-in-Training)

I don’t think a doctor will give you every suggestion right, because basically doctor will treat your condition just as a condition independently, and you will take more suggestion from a nutritionist, who will treat your condition in root, and make you healthier. A doctor may not make you health, but make you not sick only. You know what I mean?

pinterest login

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    7. Apr 17, 2010 7:46 AM (in response to Josh-in-Training)

I've done it with a cold before. Have some muscosinex, some oil of oregano, a little bit of greens supplement and you'll feel like a million bucks. Then go rock your race!

Ben

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

• TheHealthyMD Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Apr 20, 2010 8:20 AM (in response to Josh-in-Training)

Josh,

Congrats on the race!

One quick tip you can use in the future for deciding to train/race with an illness is what I call the "neck check". Basically, if most of your cold symptoms are above the neck (runny nose, scratchy throat, etc) then I usually give patients the green light with the comment that they should plan for slightly longer recover from hard efforts. Usually your immune system is diminshed for 2 to 24 hours after intense exercise, so its important to allow for recovery to prevent further illness.

If your symptoms are "below the neck" such as deep productive cough, wheezing, high fever or body aches, I usually tell patients to go very easy on the workouts  (recovery or Zone 1 effort) or to hold off completely until their symptoms improve. Again, the goal is to allow the body to fight off the infection and to prevent secondary infections. One concern I have as a physician is the athlete's potential for developing a more severe infection such as a viral myocarditis, which is a viral infection of the heart. This infection may be the reason for some of the suprising "sudden deaths" we see in otherwise healthy athletes due to the potential of the infection to cause scarring of the heart wall.

If I recall correctly, Joe Friel of the "Triathlete Training Bible" actually had the infection once. He spent about 6 months wearing a heart rate monitor to keep his heart rate under 120 BPM until he was cleared by his doctor.

-Doc John

San Diego, CA

TheHealthyMD.com

TriathlonDoctor.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...