Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4629 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2010 9:11 AM by Evan Malone Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • kidofdynomite Rookie 6 posts since
    Mar 15, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 12, 2010 2:54 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Gulf Coast Half Marathon @ Pensacola Beach Reviews

I really enjoyed this event.  The weather cooperated and the setting was obviously beautiful.  All volunteers and support staff were great.  Race felt organized.  Post-race celebration was fun and food was good.  It was a little awkward at the beginning of the post-race when the mass of sweaty runners invaded the conclusion of an apparent church service that takes place at Flounders.  I think the packet pick-up could be organized differently.  I understand the inherent chaotic nature of packet pick-up but distributing race #'s by the # itself rather than racer's last name seemed to exacerbate a typically confusing process.  Overall, race was great though.  It's exciting when we get some longer distance races here locally!

• tanfar Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 12, 2010
    16. Apr 12, 2010 3:01 PM (in response to Guest )

I had a great time.  Loved the race, I think you did a super job of keeping us all organized!  Love the finishers medal, I have proudly wrapped it around my rear view mirror!  My suggestion is how about giving tank tops or dry wicking T shirts, after all these are "Coastal" runs.  Also hot dogs, chips, fruit and granola bars might have been a better choice for the after run food. Beautiful spot to enjoy the cold beer! I will run next year!  Think I will check out Mississippi too!!

• dietvanillac Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    17. Apr 12, 2010 4:22 PM (in response to Guest )

I thought this race was top notch.  First-the pros:  Packet pick-up was quick and easy; race day parking was ample and close to the start; plenty of restrooms at the start; well-spaced and ample water stations; an interesting and scenic course!  Can't comment on the after-party (A church service?  Sounds weird!) because I had to get home.

Some suggestions for improvement: I drove over an hour on Saturday to pick up my packet because I really wanted the T-shirt (cool design, wish it was technical) because the event update said there'd be none race morning.  When you pre-register, your shirt should be guaranteed.  Let the last-minute fols do without-that's how it is at most other races.  I wish some of the water stations had longer tables with more volunteers handing out the drinks.  Lastly, my GPS had the race at 13.34 miles.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and will definitely do it again!

• DavidGriffinFL Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    18. Apr 12, 2010 5:20 PM (in response to Guest )

This was one of my most favorite races ever.  What I liked most was: 1) The Party at the end 2) The Finishers Metal 3) The T-shirt color and design.  4) The friendliness of all the participants 5) Option of picking up the packet on Race Day.

I pulled a muscle in my back at about mile 2 but still finished and I am rating this as one of the best running events ever for me.

Thanks

• Max Karrh Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 29, 2010
    19. Apr 12, 2010 5:53 PM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed this race. My only suggestion is to add more porta-potties. There was only one portable toilet every mile or two apart and there was a line of 3 or more runners waiting at each one. This ended up adding a few minutes to the finish time. My GPS also had the race longer than what the course was marked. Yikes! Other than these the race rocked. I loved being at the beach and the flat course.

• poomer Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 6, 2008
    20. Apr 12, 2010 6:49 PM (in response to Guest )

GREAT RUN - FUN FUN FUN.  Beautiful weather, great course, great people.  Really enjoyed.  Couple comments though - missed the awards ceremony - I think they had it too early - I was waiting on some other people to finish and missed the ceremony.  I got second place in my age group and missed my award!!!!!  Great after party behind Flounder's - thanks Flounder's.  Food was a little heavy - maybe lighten it up next year.  GOOD COLD BEER!!!!!!!!!  Can't wait for next year!!!!!!!!

• MWaltman Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    21. Apr 12, 2010 8:07 PM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed the race very much. The course was great and we couldn't have asked for better weather. The red beans were delicious and I wish I would have planned to stay longer. Loved the finishers metal too. I liked the design of the t-shirt, but I would have liked a brighter color.   

See you next year!!!

• bobbyv71 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 6, 2007
    22. Apr 12, 2010 9:10 PM (in response to Guest )

Great little gem of a race was started this year. Good route, nice after-race party behind Flounder's and the coolest finisher's medal I ever got. The only thing that coulda made it perfect was if the t shirt was as wild looking as the medal. Maybe next year. But overall a great time in a great location!!!!

• JennC1112 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    23. Apr 13, 2010 5:22 AM (in response to Guest )

My first half marathon, and I don't think I could have asked for a better one.  Super friendly and helpful staff, beautiful weather, flat course, not too crowded, available parking...i could go on and on with listing the wonderful things about this race.  Can't wait for next year!

• Quetesh Pro 146 posts since
    Oct 19, 2009
    24. Apr 13, 2010 1:37 PM (in response to Guest )

It was a great location for a 1/2 marathon. By the time we made it to Flounders (after stretching) the food was gone and there was no beer.  Also, most races I've been to have fruit and water set up before the race.  I was prepared, but if you've come to expect it, I could see that as an issue. 

It was a great race, though and thank you for putting it one.

Forge Trail #2 (6K)-March 20, 2010:  41:55 (PR)

Fisheries Fun Run 3K-October 3, 2010: 18:08 (PR)

Gulf Coast 1/2 Marathon-Louisiana (Northshore) October 10, 2010! 2:35:58; 82/124 (Division); 418/633 (Women); 833/1088 (Overall)

Mockler Beverage Oktoberfest 5K-October 23, 2010: 31:59 (PR); 73/113 (Women); 10/18 (AG)

Baton Rouge Beach 1/2 Marathon-December 4, 2010

1st FULL-Mardi Gras Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon-February 13, 2010

• StevenDMiller Pro 67 posts since
    Nov 21, 2009
    25. Apr 13, 2010 3:52 PM (in response to Guest )

Great race!  Great weather! Great everything except my time!  The 'finisher' medal was awesome.  How you gonna top that next year?  I love the quality of the ****.  It was nice getting one that wasn't white, thanks!  Look forward to this run next year.  I'll be sure and skip the 5K I ran the Saturday before though, LOL!

Real athletes run, others just play games!

http://sdmiller57.blogspot.com/

http://www.dailymile.com/people/stevemilller

• Keith Knight Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 20, 2008
    26. Apr 13, 2010 4:45 PM (in response to Guest )

Great crowd!  Had a great time.  I got a little hot on the way back in, would like to start the race a little earlier.  Also, a couple of the water stops tasted like it was straight out of a garden hose and I couldn't drink it.  I was expecting a better time since the course was flat but I didn't take into consideration running against the wind for the first 6 miles.  Overall it was a good race.

• carolcon Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 15, 2010
    27. Apr 15, 2010 9:47 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first 1/2 marathon and I had a great time! I am hooked and am already training to beat my time.  The location and time of year was perfect.  My only issue if I have to have one is that we had to walk through a church service to go to the after party.  Can't wait until next year!!!!!!

• Matasa Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 26, 2010
    28. Apr 15, 2010 7:42 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half and I had a great time! i didn't train like I should have but I made it! I am looking forward to my next one. Thank you!!

• KD Johnson Amateur 8 posts since
    Oct 27, 2009
    29. Apr 16, 2010 5:20 AM (in response to Guest )

Great race!  Alot of fun! Well organized, beautiful course with plenty of water stations with inspirational volunteers.  Missed/needed water around mile 9- I think (only had gatorade) and a volunteer ran up next to me and handed me a water! Thank you again volunteer! Found out about voting for the best aid station for charity until later.

Excellent post party location and food. Need to work on more pre race porta potties.

Thanks for a great race! See ya next year!

Keith Johnson

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...