Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1479 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2010 7:38 PM by ColoradoRunner23 RSS
Wimsta Rookie 5 posts since
Apr 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2010 5:51 PM

hello everyone

I didn't really see an introduction thread and I looked for one.

I ran cross country in highschool with a PR of 19:48 on a moderantly difficult 5k course and placed 80 something out of 120 or so people. That was 14 and a half years ago. I know that there is no substitute for getting miles, but that there are smart ways to run (so I'll a question or two on ocassion). I've started getting more serious about my runs this year. I did a half marathon last November (that I had no business running) hit the wall at about 10 miles and jogged slower than I walk for the last three, 2:35 (give or take), ran a flat 10k on Valentine's in 1:05 and did a 10 mile with some real serious hills two days ago in 2:01.

I put the background upfront, but its really the least important (to me anyway). I just want to run more. I'm obviously not fast at all, but I'm hoping to do get down to an eight minute mile again this year.

What else to say... love joining the Hash House Harriers whenever I get the chance, and just seeing the world from my feet. I was thinking this just might be a good forum for me to stay on track and chart my progress, who knows.

Just thought I'd say hello.

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Apr 13, 2010 4:24 AM (in response to Wimsta)
    Re: hello everyone

Hi and Welcome Wimsta,

There is no intro forum you just have to just in with both feet,

Can I ask what is your normal running training week?  How many days a week are you running?  Whats your total mileage per week. Are you cross training at all?

Are you following a training plan or have you just went out and ran to build up mileage to get to this point?

Shu! alot of Questiosns to answer, but it just gives us a idea of where your at besides at events.

Welcome,

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    2. Apr 13, 2010 11:18 AM (in response to Wimsta)

Welcome!  There are some really old and experienced people here to help ya.  LEN! ha.  No question to basic these people are cool.

• mjm 62 Pro 91 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    3. Apr 13, 2010 11:38 AM (in response to Wimsta)

Welcome Wimsta,lot's of good advice around this site.Take a little from everyone but only you know you.I have found running every other day, weight training and cycling on the other days help me.Strong legs won't let you down.I'm also big on watching carbs but taking in 2or 3 protein drinks a day,again welcome and best of luck,Mike

Cape Coral Yacht club sprint 1:03

FGCU sprint 1:03

Columbus Marathon 3:50-2010

Gator Half Ironman 5:43-2009

Venice sprint 1:09/25th overall

Captiva sprint 1:04

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    5. Apr 13, 2010 2:33 PM (in response to Wimsta)

Wimsta wrote:

No real regimin at the moment. I'm working towards atleast an hour run every week day, a Saturday event (10k, 10 miles, or half marathon if any are scheduled) and around two hours on the bike on Saturday and Sunday. So 35 miles running (not counting events) and 35 miles riding is where I really should be right now. But I'm barely making it out more than every other day (don't know if that really answers the question).

I don't really have any goals (aside from looking forward to not hitting the wall at 7 -9 miles). It just feels good to be on trail. That might be worth mentioning; I don't really feel like it was a good run without some hills, but you know, not every day.

I'm curious to read how you guys have managed to actually go out and get your miles every day, when it would be really easy to take the day off.

I would find a training program that fits your liking, if a Half Marathon is your fartherst goal, thats what you train for. then you can run all the other distances, I would also say that running 3 to 4 days a week for a half marathon is more then enough plus throw your 2 days a week for bike (cross training) is a great start.

I also think training 7 days a week is not healthy, your body needs aleast 1 day a week to true rest. Ive been training for 3 1/2 years and Im training 6 days a week (not all running, Im biking and swimming) but I still have my 1 day off a week its Sunday.. there is plenty of cross training in my workout. I dont do any of them more then 4 days in a week.

Believe me It NOT always easy to get out the door, I have my good days and I have plenty of bad, Im sure anyone that trains will tell you the same thing, I just know my goal and Im will to do whatever it takes to finish it......

Plus I think the for me the key to staying motivated to get out the door there is have a goal within reason( meaning you can train and stay healthy) and Have a plan you like, which is something you have to figure out. maybe you like one plan or part of one and part of another, its ok to combine any plan, but it takes work, effort and time for you to figure out what that plan is, plus change it up make it instesting dont do the same old thing for month after month....

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    7. Apr 14, 2010 11:21 AM (in response to Wimsta)

Hello Wimsta,

sounds like you enjoy running and are starting to really get back into it.  This is a great place to hear what other runners are doing and get good input on questions and concerns.  I agree with Silvereagle,  you should consider starting a training program for a 1/2 marathon or 10k.  It helps having a program to follow on days you don't feel so motivated, also setting your sights on a goal really helps to stay focused.  Try picking a race that you want to train for and set a do-able goal like finishing a marathon or running a PR on a 1/2 marathon or just running one race per month with friends.  Building a base will help you start getting your speed back.  Once you have your base miles built up you can add speed training into one or two of your weekly runs which also will help get your speed back up to where you feel it needs to be.  My advice is don't worry about the speed yet, enjoy being back to running and racing and be patient, build your base back up and it will be even more fun!  Welcome and good luck!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• run'nutah Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 3, 2010
    8. Apr 14, 2010 1:47 PM (in response to Wimsta)

Congratulations on your running Wimsta.  I got into running longer distances a few years ago.  I have found it simply takes time and patience to get yourself mentally and physically used to doing this.  I get my training programs from runnersworld.com.  You can formulate a training program just for you.  If you follow this as best as you can, you'll get back to an 8:00 pace.  I am just completing a program and have a half marathon this weekend.  I feel the best I have since I followed the program precisely.  These programs realy prepare you for long and faster distances.

I hope all goes well for you!

Planned races:

Salt Lake Marathon 7/24

Completed races:

Salt Lake 1/2 Marathon 4/17   1:47:21

Salt Lake 1/2 marathon 4/08

Salt Lake 1/2 Marathon 4/09

Moab 1/2 Marathon 3/09

Provo Canyon 1/2 Marathon 8/09

Three 5K races 2005-2007

• ColoradoRunner23 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 10, 2010
    9. Apr 15, 2010 7:38 PM (in response to Wimsta)

Hello and welcome

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...