Skip navigation

34496 Views 269 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2010 3:25 PM by RobinfromMaine Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Previous Next
  • susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Apr 13, 2010 6:46 PM (in response to kate_mac)
    Re: over 50, 5K and beyond

Well did my 10k on Sunday !!! I had a lot of fun..the weather was wicked...wind gusts that almost took my hat and at times made me feel like I was running in place!! All I could do is laugh..felt like a cartoon character!! Was the slowest run of my running life at 13mm...usually on a good day I'm about 10:30mm and cruising is in the 11mm...so don't know what was up sunday but I had to much fun to stress over it!!  I think I really like this distance...you really feel like you're getting a good run in, it usually takes me about 2-2.5 miles to "get my groove" so then I can enjoy the rest and it doesn't take up my whole day...BUT a half is on my list of accomplishments I want before I turn 55 in July so now need to get down to business and increase my mileage again after chilling for a couple weeks....I have been very busy at work so haven't gone out ...hoping tomorrow will work out for a 5-6 mile..we will see...after being on my feet all day I sometimes can't even think about dragging my bootie out...sometimes I can!!

The weather is supposed to be nice through the weekend so looking forward to some fun runs!

Good luck everyone!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• Riverrat1952 Pro 63 posts since
    May 29, 2009
    106. Apr 13, 2010 8:03 PM (in response to susanbarron)

Hello All,

It seems like forever since I have had time to post. Sounds like everyone is enjoying the spring runs.

Kate you remind me of the movie “what do women want” The ad near the end where the woman is running on the road.  Not hassles, no judgments, just run. I love the idea of a virtual 5K.  Working out the timing will be interesting.  Let’s do it.  Bill will not mind running in the middle of the night. I think we have someone from all four time zones in the US plus Meg and Bill.  Good news for you.. The bath will be finished at some point…

Meg.. let someone else try your monitor to see if it works on them. I got a 305 for Christmas and so far, it is working great...  Stay with it until you get it working for you it is nice having it for your training.  When do you go to Scotland?  I have seen pictures of some runs over there and it looks incredible.

Susan..  Glad you had a good race.  So many things affect a race and nothing we can do about it so we just train and enjoy the run. I love the friendliness of the other runners. Your HM will be fun.  That is one of the world-renowned races. 

Patty..  A sprint at the end of your run will teach you to have a strong kick at the end of a race and you can smile as you pass people.  That kick is a hard thing to learn.

I was able to run last Thur. Friday, Sunday, and Monday.  Today I took a break because I am SORE.  The 10K race I thought was in a couple of weeks was last Sunday.  I found out Friday afternoon and decided to run it to see where I am.  I did remember several race practices during the run.

Rule 1 always, always, always, traverse the racecourse before race day.  Walk, jog, bike or car the route before the race so you know what to expect.  Notice potholes, elevation changes turns, etc..

Rule 2 plan your run.  Know how when and where you want to run.  Are you going to charge the hills, relax on uphill and fast downhill?  Positive or negative splits?  Where are you going to break for the sprint to the end?

Rule 3 do not go out too fast

Rule 4 have a great time……

I ran this race last year and thought I remembered the course.  3 miles uphill then 3 miles gradual downhill.  My plans were slow going out then use the downhill to pick up my pace on the return leg.  The course had a couple of long hard up hills between 3.5 to 5 miles that surprised me and took all my energy..  I was pulled away at the start and did the first half mile in 6:44.  I really slowed down but still ran too fast for my training level. It really hurt me by not having anything left for a kick at the end.  I did a good job with rule 4 though.  Got fourth place in my age group.  Next race for a medal!!!!!!

Plan

Actual

mile1

8:30

7:04

mile 2

16:45

15:05

mile 3

24:45

23:22

mile 4

32:30

31:30

mile 5

40:00

39:21

mile 6

less then 47

47:06

finish

48:44

Life is for Living

Jim

• grayhairontherun Pro 94 posts since
    Dec 15, 2009
    107. Apr 14, 2010 5:21 AM (in response to Riverrat1952)

I had another great run yesterday! I ran my ~33 minutes and it felt great!

I feel like I am breezing up hills that really left me gasping in the past. But my biggest surprise was when I was running on the downhill and it felt so easy that I was hardly out of breath! I NEVER thought I could recover while still running , shocking! Of course my son pointed out that this meant I wasn't working hard enough, but I was LOVING it !! My time was really good for me in the end so I don't feel "bad" about taking it easy.

My next run, I plan to increase my time again. Gotta keep working toward that 5k distance!

Jim - looks like you were really strong at the start of your race. And you reached goal #4 - had fun, check! Personally, I think that's the most important goal for a recreational runner .

Susan - 10K, wow. And HM coming up? You are incredible! How long have you been running? (I forget, sorry). I haven't ever hit a head wind while running that feels like it slows me down much. However, I've felt them on the bike and it's misery!!

I really like the idea of the "Virtual 5K". I think that would be great. I already run with all of you! I hear "shut up and run", "this is MY hill" and some of your other comments in my head. And I think about my form in ways I never would have before. Thanks for being there with me!!

Patty

C25K: graduated Dec 2009
    restarted Jan 2010 after 2 wks off due to injury

Graduated March 7, 2010

Goal: run 5k regularly
    May 29, 2009
    108. Apr 14, 2010 2:58 PM (in response to grayhairontherun)

Hey Group,

Kate  Are you ready to head up the virtual 5K? Do you have the time?

Patty—I can here the excitement in your post.  It is great!!!!!!    I have not gotten to the point where the hill is really my friend.  We have just agreed to get along. It sounds like you training runs are working very well.  Recovery while running and your sprints at the end of some of your runs are signs your body is adapting to the runs and your enjoyment while running shows you are truly crazy.  The best part of life is when we realize that crazy people have all the fun….  Maybe you should tell your son if he likes your cooking, he should say nicer things to his mom..

Jim how are you doing on your workout schedule?  I am not sure how you find time to do your daily work with all the training you do.  Are you single???  I am married but my wife or I commute every month or so to spend time together.

I am running today even though I am still sore.  Very slow easy day for me.  My goal is to start running 20 to 25 miles a week at lunch and a long run on the weekend.  (8 to 10 miles) by telling the group it helps me to “just do it”; (I heard that phase somewhere).  anyway the diligence that ya’ll are maintaining is keeping me motivated.  In a couple on months, our lunch group will start training for the Bay State marathon.  Have to build up the base mileage before starting that training regiment.

I would love to hear from some of the newer members of the group.  How are your runs going?  Is the weather in your location nice or is getting hot already?  Have you been running long?  (Both time wise and distance). Are you planning or signed up for any races?  Have friends or family members that run with you?  Just answering the questions will help us get to know you.

Life is for Living

Jim

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    109. Apr 14, 2010 3:53 PM (in response to kate_mac)

Hi, everyone,

After more than two months, I ran three miles on Sunday, and a little over (because I wanted to make the 5K) yesterday. I was going very slowly, with no sprints or fartleks or negative splits. My leg felt a little tight, but no real pain, but since then it's been a bit more twingy. It's the outside of the left leg, and it's a little further toward my foot than the original injury, but it still has me feeling very wary. I debated going to the gym today, because although the elliptical machine hasn't so far really caused problems, I had to wait to use it on Saturday and used the bike for 30 minutes, which I think might have been a little hard. In the end I had to stay way late at work, so I decided not to go. The gym gets  busy at the end of the day and the odds are against being able to do what I want to do. I think won't try to run again until the weekend, but this enforced rest has really answered one question. I used to be afraid that if I got out of the routine of running it would be easy to just let it go, but that's not so at all. I was really happy running on Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to trying to get my distance and speed back (and stop going to the gym!)

Susanbarron, I was glad to read that you decided to do your 10 K, wind and all. I remember last winter running on a day when the local weatherman was burbling on about the wind coming not from Canada, but right from the Greenland ice shelf. It turned out to be not that bad.

Robin

• Megnetic Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    110. Apr 15, 2010 9:49 AM (in response to RobinfromMaine)

Susan  -  Congratulations on finishing your 10K race despite the wind!  I've got my first 10K in just over 2 weeks and I'm excited about it.  You're faster than me to begin with - a 12 mm is my cruising speed, but I'll take anything for this race.  I just want to finish having run the whole way.

Jim -  I should have thought about letting my son try the heart rate monitor of my garmin when he borrowed it for a couple of bike rides.  My husband won't wear the watch because he thinks it's too heavy and might slow him down!  I told you he's competitive (and daft too!!)

Patty  -  I love it when I can run up hills that I used to struggle up.  To me, it shows my progress more than increasing distance.

Robin  -  I'm glad all is going well with your return to running.

I arrived safely in Scotland yesterday after 22 hours of travel - I'm sure Bill's trip was longer!  Luckily we got home before the volcano erupted in Iceland and sent an ash cloud over northern Europe.  If we'd arrived today instead we'd have been stuck in London or worse if the flight had be diverted south.

I ran 10K this morning - my first time running that distance here in the UK.  I felt strong!  I don't know if was the cool air or the sea level altitude or both, but I knocked 4 minutes of my usual Phoenix time and finished in 1hr 13 mins.  I'd forgotten that UK drivers, who are extemely polite to other drivers, treat pedestrians and runners as a nuisance and expect you to give way to them!  I think I've been spoilt by the drivers in Phoenix who kindy wait while I run across junctions (but treat other drivers with distain!).

Let me know about the virtual 5K.  Those of us with Garmins could post our run report.

Meg

Meg

Dec 15, 2009
    111. Apr 15, 2010 6:06 PM (in response to Megnetic)

So, I'm really not a morning runner. I always get up early in the morning, but I don't really want to do anything for a while except drink my coffee and read the paper. But today, I was going into work at 11 am and staying until 7:30 pm, so no running after work. It was beautiful out, so I sucked it up and went out for run. But I had procrastinated long enough that I didn't have much time, so I decided to do 2 miles and pick up my pace a little. I am very excited to report that I ran them in under 13 min each!! YEA!! Now I'm a little sore because I cut my stretching short, too. But I'm going to stretch now...

Susan - I was thinking about you as I ran today and hoping it wouldn't take me 2 miles to get in a groove! I'm usually feeling good after a mile.

Jim - Thanks for the encouragement! I do feel stronger and stronger. But the sprint at the end today was really tough after trying to go a little faster!

Meg - Be careful of those drivers! Run toward traffic so you know when to jump out of the way!

Patty

Graduated March 7, 2010

• billprice005 Pro 75 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007
    112. Apr 16, 2010 3:47 AM (in response to kate_mac)

Hey,

Meg, I thought the Internet issues were just here.  But I had a great workout week.

Monday:   Swam my 88 laps at the Embassy pool.  My time was 39:15, which I can't believe I did a mile in, since I was not really pushing.  My swim buddy says since the pools shorter, you get some extra push offs.  I'm thinking it's because 20 Afghan yards is about 18.5 American yards.

Tuesday:  My long slow run.  9.2 kms in 1:10

Wednesday:  1:40 minutes of spinning.

Friday:  I made the race!  I even won the 5k event.  Because no one else showed.  31:39.  Next week I plan to break 30.

Shout Outs

Susan:  Great job on the race!

Gray:  Always wanted to row outside.  But for now have to stick to kayaking.

Kate and Meg:  Thanks for all the encouragement.

BTW, what is this talk about a virtual 5k.

Bill

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    113. Apr 16, 2010 7:15 AM (in response to billprice005)

Bill wtg on the 5k!!! I'm impressed with your training..how do you find the time..and I'm being very serious about that! I am struggling here with getting in my runs...haven't run since the 10k on sunday...had 3 long days at work followed by my two half days where the extra time off is spent caring for my mom.....the pattern I am seeing with my new work schedule is one week I can get in 3 days then the next week I can get 2 in if I'm lucky!! I'm really struggling with this as I acknowledge I NEED to run both for my physical and mental health!! The only drawback to increasing my run mileage is the added time it takes to get it done....HELP!!!

I also am wondering what the virtual 5k is??

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

May 29, 2009
    114. Apr 16, 2010 7:55 AM (in response to billprice005)

Hello Nancy and welcome to the group.  Great run on your 5K.  I have heard that running groups that include training do help us get faster.  I travel too much to make that commitment. Are you in Arizona?  I have been to Tucson but do not remember if it is still in the mountains.  One thing we (me) like to complain about is hill runs.  It will be a shame if you miss out on that.  Meg had been missing out but now should be able to find a mountain or two to run on.       We use the threads to post our messages and encouragements to one another.  I am not sure what the difference between postings in a thread or on the blog is. Should we check that out?

Robin---, glad to see you back running.  Hope you are able to continue the outside running.  Just slow and easy.  Where do you run?  Street, trails, sidewalk?  It is nice that once we train our bodies to do something it gets back there quick.  Soon you will be running as if you never had to miss the 2 months.  In the meantime apply rule 4 (have fun).  Let us know when you think you will be running enough to do the virtual 5K. 

Meg—I have been told I am competitive but not to the point of worrying about a watch being heavy enough to slow me down.  I need to lose about 5 pounds to get to my ideal running weigh so a few ounces is not hurting me.  Does you husband wear running flats during races?  I have heard that they make a difference for “short” races.  Anyway, ask him to wear it around the house.  You just want to see if I picks up.  I use mine sometimes to get my resting heartbeat.  Strap it on for a few minutes before I get out of bed in the morning.  Is the ash affecting where you are?  It sounds like all of Western Europe is covered with ash, but I tend to believe only part of what the news media tells us. Dropping 4 minutes off a 10K.  WOW!!!  I bet that made you feel great. Scotland is agreeing with you..

Patty-- I have to agree with you on the morning run. I cannot so it.  Lunch or after for me.  It is exciting when we force ourselves to get out then, have an amazing run.  Congrats on your PR for the 2 miles.

Susan—did you get that 5-6 mile run in yet?

Bill— Congratulations on your 1st place finish on the 5K.  I always do better on small races but have never tried being the only contestant.  Do you have to buy your own trophy?

My running has picked up this week.  I have run the 10K race on Sunday (where I did not win) 4.2m Mon, 5m Wed, 6m Thur, and 4m today.  8 to 10m run planned for the weekend if it does not rain.  It has turned cold and raining so do not know if I can get out.

Virtual 5K.. We would all start a 5K run at the exact same time then come in a post the results.

Time to start the run will be the interesting part.

TIP: We should change up where we run.  Running on the road facing traffic is what we normally do but the curvature on the road will cause knee problems over time and on long runs.  We need to switch it around sometimes to the sidewalk, opposite side of the road or off road.

Life is for Living

Jim

• JMalcolmF Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 8, 2010
    115. Apr 16, 2010 8:55 AM (in response to kate_mac)

Susan it seems that you are doing pretty good with your schedule of 2 to 3 times a week.  Unless you are looking to be competitive I think you are doing a great job given the shifting circumstances and the high priority support for you mom.  My philosophy is to be consistent over time with my running and not worry about consistently running at designated times.  If you are consistent over time when the times get better you can always run more because you will have established a pattern (i.e. a lifestyle) of running.  But, of course, if you can find the time I applaud you and I say take it and enjoy.  As Riverrat says always adhere to rule 4!!!

Malcolm

-And remember the best run is the one you just finished!

Dec 15, 2009
    116. Apr 16, 2010 1:15 PM (in response to JMalcolmF)

big SHOUT OUT to Jim in Afghanistan !! You WON!! (sorry, can't do a trophy with these emoticons).

Jim - I've been thinking about the road slant, especially because I seem to be very sensitive to surface changes. I try to run out in the road when nobody is coming. Fortunately, if I pick the right time of day, there is not much traffic. I started doing some running on the dirt (in the field) again, and I felt it in my hips. I think the running on irregular surface like a dirt road is good for using more muscles differently. What do you think?

Susan - you should feel really good about the time you are taking to run. Some weeks my schedule get away from me a little, too and I have to take 2 days off between or sometimes 3. The important thing is that we LOVE getting out there, so we won't let it slip too far away from us.

Patty

Graduated March 7, 2010

• tusnancy Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 1, 2010
    117. Apr 16, 2010 3:10 PM (in response to Riverrat1952)

Jim,

Tucson is in a valley, surrounded by mountains --- there are places to run that are hilly , especially in the foothills.   I would like to do some running with hills --- right now, I just set the treadmill on "random" and have my "hills" that way.  I am sure it will be different out in the real world.

tusnancy

• JMalcolmF Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 8, 2010
    119. Apr 16, 2010 7:24 PM (in response to kate_mac)

Hello once again.

It is tough keeping up with all the replies and you guys are pretty good at this.  Of course I am hoping everyone continues to press forward and meet there goals no matter what the distance or training program.  Remember the old Nike ads "Yeah, we're different!"

Kate regarding the injury.  I thought I was the incredible hulk tried to carry a recliner up two flights of stairs on my head following the example of my younger brother-in-law who is an avid weightlifter.  I found out that YOUNGER weightlifters tend to be stronger than OLDER runners (despite my strength training regiment).  I was two weeks from running the Va Beach Half marathon at the time.  Pinched a nerve and got all that goes with it, i.e. numb fingers, shooting pain, tight neck muscles.  Dr told me not to run because it would only worsting the situation...I was thoroughly disappointed.  I was told it normally takes only a few months with physical therapy to recover. I did the therapy, took the meds, did not run but continued to have symptoms.  Initial injury occurred in Feb 09, in Dec 09 I was beginning to feel better then suddenly my neck muscles began to tighten up again and fingers began to go numb.  I called the doctor, set up an appointment and prayed (eh, I wanted to run again).  Before I could get to the doctor it all stopped and I have not felt the pain since January.

I did keep my appt. with the doctor and he prescribed meds on "as needed" basis which I have not needed.  I rested for another month until the beginning of March to ensure I was completely healed.  Then I started walk/running (mostly walking).  I have always been a conservative runner, more willing to take rest and easy days than most marathoners.

My philosophy for running road races is simple run when you have to, rest when you need to.  I run three weeks hard (whatever hard is) and one week easy.  I have hard workout years when I look to PR and easy years when I relax and just enjoy the ambience of road racing with others who I am training.  On the easy years I will run several slow paced marathons.  On the PR years everything is a race against my last best time from 5k to 10 milers to the marathon some times I do well and sometimes...  Now I am reaching the age where past PR will cease to count and I will use weighted PR times, LOL!!

Seriously though at this age it is about rest and recovery for me, longer mileage on fewer days as I think I read in Susan's reply.  I am building my base now but I am also sneaking in a very slow half marathon on Sunday (don't worry I will not extend myself beyond my training).  Wish me well, I will go out slow, then go slower and finish with a strong kick, if walking real hard over the last 3ft can be consider kicking, lol!

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...