Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1442 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2010 1:38 PM by run'nutah RSS
ittybittyTink Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 14, 2010 9:39 AM

My knee hurts :(

So, this is my second week running (I started the C25K this week, and was doing my own bastardized plan before I'd found it), and my knee hurts really bad.  Every time I walk it hurts; every time I run it hurts.  I try stretching it, but nothing seems to help.  Should I ice it?  Do you think this is because my shoes suck?  I admit, I haven't invested in running shoes because I wanted to make sure I'd commit to this new habit I'm investing in before forking out tons of money.  It just feels sort of sprained, not anything torn or anything.

What do you think I should do to continue in my progress (which I am making progress!), and how can I avoid this turning into a major injury?

Also, please encourage me--this hurts

Kthanks!

• candyhicks Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 21, 2010
    1. Apr 14, 2010 1:10 PM (in response to ittybittyTink)
    Re: My knee hurts :(

Hello

I had the same problem when I first started running. I had never ran before an after about two weeks my knees hurt on the inside and below knee cap. It sounds like you have runners knee, this can be caused from weak knees, training too hard too soon, walking unevenly on feet; which means you need stability shoes, not stretching your hamstrings properly and week thigh muscles.  What I had to do was quit running for a few weeks and ice my knees several time a  day plus I started using a good knee brace that would keep everything stable. Instead of running I started walking fast, using an ellipitcal and any other type of low or no impact excercise. I would recommend doing a search on the internet for runners knee, you will find all kinds of helpful information.

Hope this helps

• run'nutah Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 3, 2010
    2. Apr 14, 2010 1:38 PM (in response to ittybittyTink)
    Re: My knee hurts :(

I would go to a running store and have them fit your feet with the best shoes for you.  Most stores do a good job of this.  I would also take a few weeks off from running and ride a bike (or stationary bike) or do eliptical work and give your knee a rest from the pounding.  Also make sure when you do run, you run on asphalt and not cement.  Icing it will always help as well.

After the first time I trained and ran a half marathon my knee really hurt.  I was told to not run to two weeks, then I was fine.  I think I had tendonitis.

Do you think you have any damage, or is it a strain or possibly tendonitis?  If it persists, you may want to get it checked.  Hope that helps...

Good luck, you are doing a great job!

Planned races:

Salt Lake Marathon 7/24

Completed races:

Salt Lake 1/2 Marathon 4/17   1:47:21

Salt Lake 1/2 marathon 4/08

Salt Lake 1/2 Marathon 4/09

Moab 1/2 Marathon 3/09

Provo Canyon 1/2 Marathon 8/09

Three 5K races 2005-2007

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...