Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3984 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2010 1:09 PM by Curtis721
raytodd Expert 44 posts since
Apr 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 16, 2010 7:38 AM

Gout and Running

Good day, everyone.

My name is Raymond. I'm planning to start with the c25k program this Monday.

However, just recently I was diagnosed with gouty arthritis. My blood uric acid level is 9.9 (the cutoff is 7.0), and have recently started taking medication to lower my uric acid. The affected part is my left foot.

Do any of you guys have any tips concerning gout related to running? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    1. Apr 16, 2010 8:40 AM (in response to raytodd)
    Re: Gout and Running

Well let me state that I am NOT a doctor and I would go see a sports doctor regarding this.  We are not sure if I have a recurring SF (not likely) or occasional gout attacks- OUCH!  The doctor did not check for crystals yet, since it only flares up once a year or so.  BUT if it is in the active stage and it IS gout the doctor (and a lot of googling) suggests that you can do real and permanent damage to the joint by running on it during a flare up.  I know that is not the news you wanted to hear but.....  I would concentrate on swimming and perhaps riding a stationary bike as long as the injury is not aggravated by activity.  A lot of times the pain will actually go away while you exercise but come RAGING back in 48 hours.   Once the symptoms are completely gone I would run but not before.  You can give your cardio system a good prep for the C25K in other ways that won't cause you to end your running career permanently before you really start...

Good luck!

• N1952 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    3. Apr 18, 2010 4:48 PM (in response to raytodd)

I have arthritis in my left foot and started running a year ago. While my times are slower than most, I don't run for the time or even the distance that I can run. I run for the feeling of accomplishment. It's really become my friend at this point.  Sometimes it hurts...that's okay with me...if the pain lessens, I'll continue to run, if not, I stop. Have you looked into chi running?  That has helped me tremendously www.chirunning.com - also I would suggest an anti inflammatory eating plan...you can google that and you'll come up with all kinds of info. Hope that helps!!

Happy Trails!!

• Curtis721 Legend 203 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    4. Sep 20, 2010 1:09 PM (in response to raytodd)

I have just spent the last week laid up with the worst gout attack of my life!  It's been 10 days, much better now, but not gone.  About 4 years ago I had a bad attack that lasted a week.  I started running in January. I've have had minor gout attacks about every two weeks for the last six months.  These would last two or three days, so I could take an extra rest day and get back into it.

I think the problem this time was that I tried to stretch out the stiffness in my toe joint, and this set off a blazing chain reaction.  Big mistake. I should have just let it rest. 

While I was laid up I read the best book! Beating Gout: http://www.beatinggout.com/  This was the best book, very informative.  Searching for information on the Internet has been frustrating because of the conflicting information out there.

Now I have good advice on how to nip it in the bud and not let it get so bad.  I also discovered that my high dose niacin has probably been contributing to the problem.  I can't wait for this to completely subside so I can get back out there. The main RX for me is to get my weight down.  Running is essential for that.

One thing I will try is running on softer surfaces, like an artificial track or a greenbelt trail.

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

Started C25K Jan. 19, 2010 - Graduated April 14, 2010

If I didn't have so far to go, the journey would end too soon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points