Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3370 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2010 4:22 PM by Dog-lover RSS
Metime Amateur 31 posts since
Mar 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 15, 2010 7:49 PM

Encouragement Suggestions

I am not a runner (yet) I am working on the C25K program.  However, I did sign up for our local Marathon......to hand out water at our corporate sponsored water stop.  This is my first marathon and water dispensing job.  They sent us a basic list of do's and don'ts and they suggested things to say to the runners and things NOT to say to the runners. 

I don't want to say "good job" or "way to go"  all day long, so experienced runners....what are the phrases that you like to hear or that were most memorable from any of your races?  What are things that you don't want to hear?

Races:

Bricktown Blaze (5K) 6/12/10

Stars & Stripes Forever (5K) 7/3/10

Midnight Streak (5K) 8/14/10

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Apr 16, 2010 3:12 AM (in response to Metime)
    Re: Encouragement Suggestions

Many runners will have their names on their bibs or shirts. Addressing them by their names would certainly be encouraging.

• fldogwalker Pro 68 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    2. Apr 16, 2010 5:52 AM (in response to DaveVause)

If you are offering water to runners at a marathon..  the only thing you should be saying is   "WATER"  

"Enter a race.  Train to become faster and stronger.  Honor the commitment. Reap the rewards." - me

http://triandrunflorida.com/

• bellsway Legend 343 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009
    3. Apr 16, 2010 5:57 AM (in response to Metime)

I'm headed down to mile 11 of the Boston Marathon route on Monday to cheer some friends along with the other 20000 runners etc.  I tend to yell any name on a shirt.  "Way to go, Joe!"  OR "Lookin' good, Seattle"  for the tired looking ones I yell "Hang in there, University of whatever, you're gonna make it."  And, I never forget to yell "Thank you" to the folks who run to raise thousands for charity.  Just remember that the guys and gals in the front of the pack like the cheers but folks like me who used to be at the tail end of the pack are thrilled that you're even still there to wish us well.  I used to tell them, "Thanks for being here for us slow guys!!" and appreciated every "Way to go! Anne" and "You're gonna do it!" more than they could have imagined.  BTW  a big thank you to you for helping out at the race.  Volunteers are hard to come by.

Plan your run and then run your plan.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,326 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Apr 16, 2010 7:06 AM (in response to Metime)

Though "good job" and "way to go" might seem trite, it may also be all you have time for.  "Looking good" is OK, even when it's a total lie.  "Water" will also be a large part of your vocabulary, even if it is redundant.  If your water station also offers sports drink, or gels, you can help with that info too, as in "gatorade at the end tables".  One thing not to say is "you're almost there" unless your water station is at 24 miles.  Even then "just over two miles to go" is better - can't forget that last ".2".

Len

Len

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    5. Apr 16, 2010 10:32 AM (in response to Metime)

Personally I don't need you to SAY anything.  Look me in the eye and concentrate on a successful hand off.

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    6. Apr 17, 2010 3:10 PM (in response to Metime)

OK among the top things I hate to hear

"You are almost there"

"You are looking great" at about any time past mile 20, as that certainly cannot be true

"Run Forrest Run"

Things that do keep me going

Clapping/Generic cheering like "Allright", "Way to go there"

High Fives

A big smile

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    7. Apr 19, 2010 8:24 AM (in response to Metime)

I'm with Runnergal.... don't say "Your almost there"  I hated that one.  I kind of like just a smile and a hand off myself.  It gives me a chance to thank the volunteers who help.  I think it's great seeing all the kids that volunteer and the smiling people just make me feel really good when I"m feeling a little wiped.  Thanks for volunteering, it really does mean a lot!  I don't think you'll be disappointed either, seeing a marathon for the first time gave me goose bumps and totally made me want to run, it may help you find motivation to finish your C25K.  Good luck and thanks again for volunteering!!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• the3pitts Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 11, 2008
    8. Apr 22, 2010 8:42 PM (in response to Metime)

First off, THANK YOU for volunteering! I won't be participating in this race, but I thank you nonetheless for all the runners you help to reach their goal.

As for what to say and not say:

SAY:

Great job!

You look fanTAStic!

You're inspiring!

Water here, beer at the end

Just x more to go! (Careful: only use this if you're near the end of the race)

If there is another station after yours, tell the runners what's coming up: "Water hear, Gatorade later"

DON'T SAY:

Almost there! (unless there's less than 5 percent of the race left)

You call yourself a runner? (I know you'd never say this. There's really not much I don't want to hear except "Almost there!" when I'm not.)

Other tips:

Make eye contact

Smile

Have fun!

Again, thank you for volunteering.

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    10. Apr 25, 2010 4:22 PM (in response to Metime)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!  I was thinking about your post this weekend.  I'm training for a spring marathon this June and this past Saturday I ran a 10k as part of my training and really paid attention to how the volunteers participated and how great they were.  It was great and I had fun thanking people, I remember the first marathon I ran how surprised I was how great the volunteers were.  One person that I thanked looked at me surprised and with a smile said,  "thanks for running"  Thanks again for volunteering, I'm going to try and volunteer for races I'm not participating in so I can give a little back as well.  Glad you enjoyed it, I'm sure you made a lot of people feel better even if only for a moment!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...