Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2233 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2010 11:17 AM by Francessmom RSS
Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
Feb 11, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2010 7:04 AM

Runaway Parents 4/12/2010

Good Morning, Runaways!

Tracy, it is interesting that you should bring up the cost of races.  I spent Sunday with my mom and sister.  My son mentioned that I went for a run that morning, so they started asking me about my running.  I usually don't talk about it with my family because they are not huge fans of organized sports and aren't very supportive of my running. My mom asked if I had any events coming up.  I mentioned the 8 K on Saturday.  My sister went off on why would I pay to run when I could just head out to the state park or wherever and run the same distance for free.  I tried to explain the motivation that a race provides and the sense of comraderie at the race.  Plus the excitement of running new venues in a safe enviroment.  They still think it is a huge waste of money.  I must admit that I do think about the costs when signing up for races.  I prefer that the race is for a charitable cause.  Since I don't work, I think carefully about spending the money on myself.  But my hubby has a few hobbies that he spends money on, so I think we are even in that regard. Still - I am so sorry that you have to choose another half!   I hope you have a great trip to Florida. Relax, enjoy yourself, and run if you have time!  Plus, you should talk to his sisters and mom and get them on your "side".  Running is a big part of who you are so you need his and their support.

Liz - Great job on the 5K!  Is that a new PR?  Are you tall?  I would be Team 2 Short.  I am 5 feet even on a good day!

No run for me today.  I ran 4.2 miles yesterday at 40.27.  My daughter found her college for the fall! Yeah!  She really liked the campus, etc. Now we just have to figure out how to pay for it.  It is a state university, so the costs are more reasonable. She goes to the Junior Prom this Friday with her ex.  So we have to dry clean the dress, get shoes, a bouteneire for his lapel, etc. She has entered the tiredness phase of mono and is very testy most of the time.  I find myself telling her to "go take a nap!" like she is a toddler again. The joys of parenting never end!

Have a wondeful day everyone!

Marie

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• TMachen Pro 114 posts since
    Jul 22, 2009
    1. Apr 12, 2010 10:48 AM (in response to Francessmom)
    Re: Runaway Parents 4/12/2010

My head feels  like it may pop off from frustration. One of the less expensive races I found is 'too close' to my Florida vacation so 'we  can't afford it.'  Nevermind that we've planned for this vacation for a year.  So far I can't find a sitter for the other two races, and I have PMS so I feel crabbier than normal. I will breathe deeply and look forward to being in Florida. inhale....exhale...repeat

Marie - it's funny because his sisters are not athletic but they totally support my running because they know I need the time away. His mom, not so much, but she's very old fashioned and thinks my hips are going to break and my uterus is going to fall out if I run too much. lol!

I'm glad your dd is beginning to feel better and that she'll be able to make it to her prom. Mono is such a bear to recover from. Hooray on finding a college, too! It's been a good week for you- tired, crabby teen and all.

Liz - I would also be on team 2 Short; I'm barely 5'4" Great job on your 5K!

I haven't decided if I'm going to run today or not. It's completely gorgeous out so I'd like to take the kids to the two path, but I left my purse in dh's car which he took to work. The police around here are like real life Barney Fife so if I got pulled over I'd probably end up in the slammer! lol!

~ Tracy

My blog about Life and other stuff

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

~Ovid

• TBMcKay Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    2. Apr 12, 2010 10:55 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Happy Monday!

I did some speed work this morning, 5 miles in 46 minutes.  Anything under a 10 min/mile is speed work for me.  I walked for 2 1/2hours yesterday with my mom.  She is trying to prepare to walk the half marathon I'm running May 2nd.  I'm really proud of her!!  She's very overweight and walks SO slow, we only walked 6 miles in the time.  But she stuck with it and she's building up her endurance.  She backed out of her long walk last weekend; so I took my daughter in the stroller and we went to walk with her forcing her to do it. 

Marie~ I'm glad the college search went well.  Is her pick very far away from home?  I'm thinking of sending my 4 year old away to college today (probably not one near here)!!  I could join your "Team 2 Short"  I lie and tell people that I'm 5 feet tall.  But I'm really only 5ft when I have shoes on.

Tracy~  Bummer about your half.  I hope you will keep showing your husband how important this is to you and not give up.  Eventually he'll catch on and see what running does for you and your body and your mentality.  And I agree some of the prices are outrageous!!!  We try to do races that are over $50 only a couple of times a year because it gets out of control.  My marathon registration was $100!  Crazy!   Have a wonderful relaxing time in Florida! I'm jealous!  And Marie is right- get his family on your side!

Happy Running~

Rebecca

2010 Events

1/23  Winter Predictor -13K - 1:19:15

5/2   Eugene -Half Marathon

6/26  Pacific Crest -Half Marathon

10/10  Portland -Marathon

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    3. Apr 12, 2010 5:46 PM (in response to TBMcKay)

Marie, Tracy, Rebecca:  I'm 6'2".  My mother is 6'3".

You three should get together!   Maybe you can field a team! 

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010
    4. Apr 12, 2010 2:07 PM (in response to Francessmom)

I just typed a nice long paragraph & somehow ended up deleting it.  My laptop has been possessed all day.  Grrrrrr.......

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great weekend.  I am super excited -- I signed up for the Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon on Oct 2!  It is a couple days after my 10-year anniversary and a couple days before my neighbor's anniversary, so we are leaving our kids with grandparents & taking our hubbies for a grown-ups only weekend in Orlando.  (seriously there is something wierd going on with my computer)  It turns out a couple of my friends from highschool will be running too.  It starts at 10 pm and ends at a Wine & Dine event at Epcot.  With the recent posts about race costs, I hate to say this one cost me $135.  Yikes.  I am going to call it an early anniversary gift from my husband (who owes me big, as I will discuss).

I ran 5 miles yesterday, my longest run so far.  It's been beautiful here the past few days, and it was a lovely early morning run.  In the afternoon, we took the kids to the beach.  It was a perfect day with good friends, & then my husband got into a huge argument with some idiot (not to say that dh was not acting like an idiot himself) and we felt like we should leave before things escalated.     Fortunately the kids didn't see what was going on.  It was quite a scene, so I am slightly mortified.

MARIE --So glad your daughter gets to go to her prom & good news about the college decision!

TRACY -- Sorry about the races!  I'm in a husband-bashing mood right now, so I'll just zip my lips.    Have a wonderful relaxing trip to Florida.  Loved the comment about your mother in law thinking your uterus is going to fall out.  Hee hee!  My Mom can't believe that my knees haven't gone out yet, and I've only been running a little over 3 months.

REBECCA -- How awesome that you've got your Mom out exercising with you!  Good for her.

LIZ -- Congrats on your improved time.  And I am totally with you on the pink shirts.   Just 'cause it's a women's race doesn't mean they had to bust out the pink.  My mom gave me pink running shorts for my birthday.  I had to exchange them for another size anyway, so I got blue instead & told her they were all out of pink in my size.  Hmmmm, I guess I'd be on Team Average Jane, at 5'5".

Happy running to you all.  After yesterday's fiasco, I wish I had a run scheduled for today.  Tomorrow's 2 miles will not be far enough for me to clear my head.  I may have to tag on a mile or two of walking.

Ali

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

Oct 5, 2009
    5. Apr 14, 2010 6:44 AM (in response to Ali-Gator)

Hi~  We must all be pretty busy this week, not a lot of postings.  Getting warmer and sunny and longer days= busy families!!     I ran 4 miles of hills yesterday and 3 easy miles this morning.  Today is my cross training day, but I just hate it!  I know it's important, but there was no way I was getting up to do a cross training workout.  So, I convinced myself to get out of bed by running instead of cross training.

My husband is competing in his first triathalon this weekend!  I'm really excited to go to the even.  It is a sprint triathalon, but should be a perfect starting point for him.  I can't tell is he is vervous about it or not.  The guy he trains with will beat him, but is in the wave after him; which my husband figured was good becasue then he wont get passed out on the course.    After his event my mom is coming to watch the kids and we get to go out to dinner and a movie!  I can't wait!!!  We called and asked her last night if she would come watch them, because we were thinking about it and we haven't been out by ourselves since our anniversary- which is in DECEMEBER!!!  I think it's time for a few hours away!

Ali~ I'm sorry your husband acted so bad.  Those testosterone genes can go crazy sometimes!!  I think you definatly deserve a trip to Orlando and another race!  Sounds like an even trade to me. 

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!!

~Rebecca

2010 Events

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009
    7. Apr 14, 2010 8:14 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Marie, congrats on  your spring cleaning.  I wish you well on your Saturday race.

I am still unable to run. I've tried other things: stationary bicycle, bike riding, Leslie Sansone, and walking. All of those activities hurt. I spoke to Jonathan Roche from www.noexcusesworkouts.com today and last week. He has a radio show on blog talk radio every Wednesday.  Roche is a certified personal training and he hosts No Excuses Workouts on blog talk radio every Wednesday. Last week he advised me that I needed to have a non exercise week. I didn't get it. Today the side of my inner leg hurt a lot during and after a 30 minute walk. After talking to him today I get it. Roche said the 30 minutes was too long. Next time I walk Roche suggested five minutes of walking and to add one minute per workout to that. I admit I was stunned. Roche believes that if I do not follow this advice my body will not recover and we will be having the same conversation in June & August. I have a lot of respect for Roche. He is very committed to keeping busy moms healthy. He is affliated with the FlyLady. Roche is running his 15th marathon next week and I am confident he knows what he is talking about. He advised me not to be nearsighted and look for the instant gratification of intense cardio. He'd like me to be able to run until I'm 70 or 80.

So when the area that is hurting me calms down I will do a 5 minute walk. I will do some upper body strength training. I will cease and desist from biking and intense cardio.

Happy Running!

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

Oct 5, 2009
    9. Apr 15, 2010 7:48 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Hi All~

Karen~  I'm so sorry to hear about your news.  Sounds like he is a reliable resource though, and you should probably take his advice.  Taking time off now is better than causing an injury that will prevent you from ever running again.  Stick with our group so we can help you get through this tough time!!!

Marie~  I love spring cleaning!!!!  I'm one of the rare few in the world that truly enjoys housework.  I force myself to wait until the first day of spring to do the huge cleaning project.  Today is cleaning day here.  I scrubbed and scrubbed last friday and every thing looked SO nice... but a short 6 days later I'm feeling the need to do all over again.  If the silly kids would just sit in their rooms and stop touching everything I wouldn't have this problem!!!      GOOD LUCK at your 8K this weekend!!  I'm SO excited to hear how it goes.  Is your family going with you to this one?  I will not be doing and training for Tris.  I can't swim!  I just don't have the cordination or something, never really been able to.  My husband and I have said for years that once our kiddos were old enough to stay home alone we are going to train and do road bike races together.  I'm really excited for that.... only 5 more years until our oldest is 12. 

I did 50 mins of intervals this morning- worked out to be 5.2 miles.  I love speed workouts.  The runners high afterwards is not something you get anywhere else.  I will do a core video this afternoon during nap time; then I have an off day tomorrow!!  Hope everyone has a great Thursday and Friday!

~Rebecca

2010 Events

• Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010
    10. Apr 17, 2010 10:32 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Happy Saturday ladies!

It is strangely quiet at our house for the moment.  I started the day with my longest run so far -- 5.5 miles through the woods.  It was nice and almost chilly early this morning and the woods were SO peaceful.  All the stress from last weekend's drama made for a really challenging two miles on Tuesday.  I had to stop and walk twice that day!  But I handled Thursday's 4 miles and today's 5.5 just fine.  I guess you have your good and your bad days.  I was just surprised that my bad day was my "easy" day.

Rebecca, I hope your husband's triathlon went well.  That sounds like so much fun for all of you!  And enjoy your date night tonight.  Those are rare in my house too.  

Karen, I'd been wondering how you were doing.  I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble.  I agree that Roche's plan sounds like a good one.  Better safe than sorry.  But I know you are missing your exercise. 

Marie,  You are right -- house cleaning is a major workout!  Good for you.  And I love that brief feeling of accomplishment when the house looks great and the kids haven't messed it up yet. 

My Epcot run goes through the Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios before ending at Epcot's world showcase.  The price does include one free "sip" and one free "taste", so I don't get the feeling it's going to be a full meal or even a full beer.  Still, it is an exclusive party just for runners and their supporters.  I think it will be really fun.

I hope you have a good weekend!

Ali

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

• TyKy Pro 134 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Apr 17, 2010 5:48 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Hello runaways,

Its been a while, but I think of you every day.    I haven't commented lately because I am still on the injured list.  Been 9 weeks now.    I tried running and getting into it slow, but the pain came right back.  On the up side I did have my MRI last week.  Still don't have the results but hopefully they'll be in next week.  I also haven't been on much because of time.  With DH gone that means all the lawn work is mine on top of the normal house stuff.  You should see me out there with the lawn mower, edger and hedger!    I'm sure my neighbors get a few giggles.

I'm so glad all of you are doing well!  Karen I hope you get better soon.  I know how it feels to be told no exercise.  Most of the time taking a week off will heal just about anything.  If it doesn't I would see a doctor because some PT may be necessary.

See ya later,

TyKy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...