Skip navigation

11363 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2010 10:31 AM by Qjog RSS
Wendell Jo Rookie 4 posts since
Jan 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2010 12:09 PM

What excercise can I do to help keep my hip in?

My hip keeps going out and causing a sore groin muscle and knee problems.  I go to the chiropractor who I trust once a week.  Before, I started running this was a problem but I only needed to go in once a month.  Now it just will not stay put.  Are there any exercises I can do to strengthen the muscles that keep the hip in?  I have decided to quit running for a while...maybe a month.  For cardio to replace the running I'm goin to cycle, spin class, use the elliptical or nordic trak.  I want to add some strength training as well but need suggestions as to what exercises I should do.  Help!

• B1G CHIEF Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 15, 2008
    1. Mar 30, 2010 4:01 AM (in response to Wendell Jo)
    Re: What excercise can I do to help keep my hip in?

Wendell, I have been having the same problem, and I too have been seeing the Chiro once a week.  I don't know of any exercises that will do it, and I have 8 more marathons planned for this year....

Let me know if you find out.

Andy

• demunchkin Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    2. Mar 30, 2010 9:02 AM (in response to Wendell Jo)

I believe I've had a similar problem.  My left hip has a tendency to roll out to the side, particularly after long runs.  It's horribly painful and sometimes takes several days to tighten back up.  My chiropractor thought it might be a muscle imbalance and recommended I start working on the hip abductor/adductor mucles.  I began using the machines at the gym, doing 3 sets of 12 for each, upping the weight after each set.  On the lighter weights I pause at the outermost point of the motion.  If I run at the gym, I do these exercises immediately after the run.  Otherwise, I try to get it in every other day.  While it took a few weeks to really build the muscles up, this has helped me to the point that I no longer worry about my hip tweaking out at all.  Hope this helps!

• Bree24 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    3. Mar 30, 2010 4:07 PM (in response to Wendell Jo)

This sounds like a stabilization problem. Working on the small, stablizer muscles should, in theory, help. I would stay away from the seated abductor/adductor machines in the gym. They have limited range of motion and really only work the muscles in that particular seated position (which is not you when you are running). The standing hip machine, the one with the adjustable foam roller, is better. Even better though is working on balance. Balance boards, dyna disks and bosu balls will help with the gluteus medius and gluteus minimus (your main stabilizers). These muscle also contribute to holding your hip in its socket. Working on these with two legs is good but even better is to do one leg exercises on them. Exercises may include full squats, lunges, basic standing, calf raises and many many more. Google "balance exercises" and you will be engulfed in a plethora of exercises that will help you! Remember, it is the smaller muscles that need to be worked here, running engages the large muscle groups (gluteus maximus, hamstrings and quadriceps). If you forget about the smaller muscles you are really limiting your abilities and setting yourself up for injury. Hope this helps! Happy Running!

• Qjog Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 28, 2009
    4. Apr 2, 2010 8:47 PM (in response to Wendell Jo)

Hey...I am a rookie jogger/walker, but I have some pains like you mentioned...and I have Trochanteric Bursitis in both hips. www.eorthopod.com/content/trochanteric-bursitis-hip

The pain radiates to the inside of the legs (for years I thought it was groin pain) and down the outside of the leg to the knees.  More on the right side than the left...  My Doctor has a machine in his office that looks like a giant TENS unit- that is what I started to use, now I have my own smaller version- and it works WONDERS!  If you can get to a Physical Therapist or get one some other way and use it on a regular basis- they are phenomenal.  When I have walked/jogged too far, on my way to bed I will take Aleve, get out the Unit, and wrap the heating pad over top of the leads around my outer hip where the bursa is for 30-60 minutes.  I set my alarm on my phone to wake me then so I can take them off before I go to sleep for the night.  It's a miracle!  I don't know if this will help- but it does for me.

• pinthebox.com Pro 94 posts since
    Apr 14, 2010
    7. Apr 16, 2010 7:18 AM (in response to Wendell Jo)

Let me answer this for you, because I am a good good nutritionist. If you want to be healthy and loss weight, you must meet the following 4 points:

1. Sleep well.

2. Happy mood.

3. Nice diet and nutrition.

4. Proper exercise.

So only running is not sufficient to loss weight, maybe they got issues in other fields.

pinterest login

Nov 28, 2009
    8. Apr 17, 2010 4:12 PM (in response to Wendell Jo)

Insurance covers mine.  Since I have a few injuries that it works on, I am allowed to keep it for as long as I need it.  You just need to ask your Doc or your Physical Therapist how you can get one and how to use it.

• kevingoorijan Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 19, 2010
    9. Apr 20, 2010 9:43 AM (in response to Qjog)

[quote]

Hey...I am a rookie jogger/walker, but I have some pains like you mentioned...and I have Trochanteric Bursitis in both hips.spyder jacketswww.eorthopod.com/content/trochanteric-bursitis-hip

The pain radiates to the inside of the legs (for years I thought it was groin pain) and down the outside of the leg to the knees.  More on the right side than the left...  My Doctor has a machine in his office that looks like a giant TENS unit- that is what I started to use, now I have my own smaller version- and it works WONDERS!  If you can get to a Physical Therapist or get one some other way and use it on a regular basis- they are phenomenal.  When I have walked/jogged too far, on my way to bed I will take Aleve, get out the Unit, and wrap the heating pad over top of the leads around my outer hip where the bursa is for 30-60 minutes.  I set my alarm on my phone to wake me then so I can take them off before I go to sleep for the night.  It's a miracle!  I don't know if this will help- but it does for me.[/quote]

Sp how is your hip now my friend?

Nov 28, 2009

Well...Bursitis is a chronic condition; so I live with the pain.  It's not that bad- it IS getting better as I become more active. I know that each day I have the potential to have more or less pain than the day before; but I almost always have some pain.  All in all, I am grateful that I am mobile!  At one point a couple of years ago my hip joints were frozen, so the only movement was back and forth!  I couldn't sit in the floor Indian style, I couldn't cross my legs to tie my shoes, and I couldn't do yoga, because I couldn't sit in Lotus position.  So I am very happy that I am able to exercise again.

Nov 28, 2009
    12. Apr 20, 2010 10:31 AM (in response to Wendell Jo)

Well...I am not a doctor- I was just telling you what I have been going through.  The only way to know for sure is to see an Orthopedist.  I am not sure what you mean when you say "Keep your hip in"...but the bursitis that I have isn't even in the actual hip joint- it's below it- into the thigh, on the outer edge.  I still say the only way to get the best diagnosis is to see an Orthopod.

I wish you luck, and do be careful until then!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points