Skip navigation

13247 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2010 3:46 PM by grid-rider RSS
papabear1115 Rookie 5 posts since
Mar 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 1, 2009 9:00 AM

Any good advise for first time football Father?

I was wondering if anyone had any tips of things to do or not to do as the father of the player thats playing.My son is 8 and will be 9 when he gets to play and about 65 pounds.He really loves football and is really looking foward to playing in the fall.My problem is I've never been involed in any orginized sports and could really use some advise from someone thats been through it before as a parent.

• crbandit Rookie 1 posts since
    May 4, 2009

Take your time when teaching your son the fundamentals of the game. Remember that he is only 8 or 9 years old and you need to be patient with him. Don't let your own competitive nature get in the way of that. That would ruin competitive sports for him. It takes time, but it also can strengthen the father son bond. Just remember the two most important things are :

Fundamentals

Patience

• Chris Stenger Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 15, 2008

The fact that you are reaching out and asking this question already shows that you are ahead of most 1st timers.  If you're coaching try not to coach your son, ask to coach a position away from your son.  You will keep the pressure of your son, and allow yourself to learn to be a good coach as you focus on other kids.  Your son will see you working hard and he will do the same.   Keep his emotional tank full; encourage him as much as you encourage the other kids.  Never give blame; always give solutions; recognize problems and try to figure the best workl around to improve your player.  Take responsibility and you will earn respect of the players and parents that are always listening.  If you want some good resources there is plenty out on the web; one good site is www.usafootball.com.

• John Dugan Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 10, 2008

Great advice from the  responses here.  I would also stronlgy suggest that once the game or practice is over, when you get in the  car with him, don't get right to the criticisms, or even the game or practice. Ask him how he is doing, what he thought of the game, etc. and let him tell you what he wants to and when he wants to. If anything, heap lalot of praise on him to keep him motivated as opposed to crticism. Do remember that he is only a young boy and your patience with him in this sport wil go a long way. Good luck to you and him. it is a great game that will provide him with more than just getting in good shape. he will learn team work, trust , dedication, camraderie and most of all, he will have fun as long as he is under no pressure to perform.

• timbear55 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 31, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    6. May 31, 2009 7:22 PM (in response to John Dugan)
    Re: Any good advise for first time football Father?

Make sure the kid is having fun, first and foremost. Down the road if he is any good you can worry about the next level. Speaking as someone who played major college football..I can say if a kid isn;'t having fun in the earfly years, he won't make it until that later years...

• Jason Baxley Rookie 1 posts since
    May 31, 2008

The most important advice would be let the coaches coach. Don't get upset if a coach takes him out of the game because usually there is a reason. The Pop Warner League is very organized. And after spending several hours of practice, we all become family. We've been in going on 3 years and it's the best choice we've ever done. Give it a try, your son will learn a lot. Thanks!

• lidlbishop Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 5, 2010

Make sure he tries multiple sports so he can have the best chance to find one he likes. Even if he gets serious about one sport, it's good to play multiple sports for many reasons but maybe the most important it will prevent overuse injuries that are starting to plague Youth Sports.

Most professionals played multiple sports growing up, and did not specialize until they became pros. For example, I saw this interview with Ladainian Tomlinson on this very subject:

http://www.youthfitnessmag.com/ladainian-tomlinson-interview-series

• beibeiyu Expert 29 posts since
    Apr 19, 2010

great advice.thank you!

• SouthBayHoo Amateur 11 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008

As others have said, just asking this question and soliciting advice puts you way ahead of most first time sports parents. You haven't said anywhere in this thread that you plan to coach, so I will assume that you will just be a parent supporting your kid and his team (if you are going to coach, check out www.coachhuey.com, which I've found to be the best coaching resource on the web).  First and foremost, just be supportive and make sure your kid is having fun.  Let the coaches handle the criticism and discipline issues - you're job is to be your son's biggest fan.  Do not, however, under any circumstances criticize or talk badly about the coaches in front of your son.  Doing so sends the message to your kid that it's okay to make excuses, blame others and not be a team player when things don't go your way. Even if you know the coaches are not doing things correctly, tell your kid to respect them and follow their direction and then go talk to the coaches sometime away from the kids. If you are still unsatisfied after talking with them, you can always move your son to another program the following year, but remember you'll only be hurting your kid if you undermine his current coach's authority.

If you do need to talk with his coaches, make sure you approach them with an attitude of wanting to help your son, which will in turn help the team - do NOT approach them with an attitude that you think they're idiots for not playing your son more.  For instance, most coaches are happy to talk with a parent that approaches them with something like this, "Hey coach, my son really loves football and loves being part of this team - it's been a great experience for him so far.  He really wants to make a bigger contribution though - what should he be working on to improve and what you I do to help him, so that he can earn more playing time and be a bigger part of this team's success?"  Compare that to how the coach will likely respond to the parent who approaches him with this, "Coach, I gotta talk to you - what are you guys doing?  Now, I played college ball at Northeast New Mexico State A&M, so I know a little about the game, and it's pretty obvious to me that my little Johnny is the best player you got.  So, what are you thinking - why isn't Johnny getting the ball more??  If I was the coach, and maybe I should be, Johnny would playing QB, throwing and running all over the field, like Tim Tebow.  Don't you know talent when you see it??? Sheesh!!!"

Finally, make yourself available to help your son with anything he asks of you.  I wouldn't push him too hard - if he doesn't want to work on anything at home other than playing with his friends, that's fine - he's (hopefully) getting enough instruction at practice anyway.  But, if he asks you to throw him some balls or catch his throws, or work on some drills, or whatever he wants to do to get better, be there for him and do whatever you can to help him.  If he really gets into it (probably not for a couple years, at least), you could send him to a position or general football camp in the offseason.

Good luck to you and your son.  I hope he has a great experience.

• popman3 Pro 65 posts since
    May 1, 2010

just to let you know you have to let your son know its okay to hit someone

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009

Buy stock in Nike because you'll be adding to their bottom line. I just went through 10 years, he's now a college senior playing SS. So much to say....But just getting through practice will turn boys into men. Most plays take about 10 - 15 seconds so encourage fast reaction and seeing the field of play on a different level.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points