Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3175 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2010 8:27 AM by TheHealthyMD
KurtinSC Pro 126 posts since
Nov 23, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2009 1:35 PM

Tips for the diabetic triathlete

I'm a type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump and a constant glucose moniter who's looking at doing a sprint triathlon next spring or summer.

I was wondering if anyone else with diabetes could give me some pointers with handling blood sugar control and medical equipment during the race.

I'm not sure if it makes more sense to just not have the glucose monitor in during the race and just test manually during the transitions, or if I should take the time to reconnect it after the swim.  I've considered leaving the transmitter connected during the swim... but I'm a little hesitant that the "water resistant seal" would be okay for a race.  I normally take the transmitter off and cover with a watertight plastic dressing while swimming for practice, but the process of reconnecting, reaquiring the transmitter, then doing a blood test to calibrate is quite time consuming when the connection is re-established.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Dec 29, 2009 1:59 PM (in response to KurtinSC)
    Re: Tips for the diabetic triathlete

Typ 2 non pumper checking in. welcome to the sport - you're going to love it.

I'm not a pumper so I'm going to point you to these groups:

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/athleticdiabetics

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/triabetes

I know they can give u more info

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• ajzullo Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    2. Apr 6, 2010 7:18 PM (in response to KurtinSC)

Thanks for the tips and post! I am a type 1 pumper. I have completed several marathons and have signed up for a half iron distance tri. During training I've left my pump connected and I am planning on having spare stuff in my transition bag.

Do you have any secrets/tips for the race that you have found really helpful?

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Apr 7, 2010 7:08 AM (in response to ajzullo)

for a half nutrition is critical definitely practice it before raceday and test yourself along the way.  I'm partial to slude bottle like hammer perpeteum and infinit nutrition cause they have salt and don't cause a spike too badly (or me at least)

you're doing vineman right?

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• ajzullo Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    4. Apr 7, 2010 11:14 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

Ahhh yes, hammer products. Got to love them. Those with an occasional shot block have helped me through many marathons. I am working on a device to keep my 'pod controller' attached + covered between my aerobars but accessable for frequent tests. 

This I've actually signed up for Timberman (8/22 in NH). I think I posted something somewhere in the wrong event. I'll definately put Vineman on my list as I love wine and a trip to CA would be great!

• TheHealthyMD Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Apr 20, 2010 8:27 AM (in response to KurtinSC)

Kurt,

I'm guessing that you're in South Carolina based on your username. If so, check in with Jay Hewitt, a triathlete and Type 1 diabetic, who lives in Greenville, SC. He races with an insulin pump and has worked with a couple manufacturers as their endurance athlete "guinea pig" testing out some of their pumps.

Website is http://www.jayhewitt.com.

He's done a few Ironman and also competed with a team for Race Across America. I believe he was using the OmniPod insulin pump last time I saw him.

- Doc John

-Doc John

San Diego, CA

TheHealthyMD.com

TriathlonDoctor.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...