Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1222 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2010 12:39 PM by faithhopejoy RSS
shep2503 Amateur 13 posts since
Apr 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 20, 2010 5:36 PM

Hip Pain

I am having some hip pain/discomfort in my right hip. When I run it does not bother me. But when I play basketball (2 days a week) the pain/discomfort comes around for a day or two after I play. The pain is just abouve my thigh. I belive it could be because I do not stretch my thigh muscle enough. I go to the Dr. on the 27th and hope to get some kind of answers or at least an appointment with a PT. What do you think?

www.fatfunnyguy.blogspot.com

SHEP

5K PR 31:36 April 17, 2010

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    1. Apr 21, 2010 11:45 AM (in response to shep2503)
    Re: Hip Pain

Hey SHEP,

A good resource for you might be Coach Jay Johnson's "Myrtl" Routine which strengthens and stretches the entire hip/pelvic region.  Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLrKr54yA0.

Try doing some of the exercises (like the clams and lateral leg raises) with a theraband wrapped around your thighs/ankles to give you more resistance.  This will really help improve your hip strength.  Jay Johnson has another good routine called "Cannonball" that improves flexibility that you can try out.

Have you tried a foam roller?  Getting on a roller is like self-massage or myofacial release; it will help loosen your tight spots.  Good luck!  - Fitz.

Strength Running
  • faithhopejoy Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 29, 2010
    2. Apr 27, 2010 12:39 PM (in response to JasonFitz1)
    Re: Hip Pain

Last week I finished a 3 mile run (a lot for me) and the next day I developed a pain in my hip. Pain just below the hip bone and then about 4" back into the fleshy part of the back of the hip. It doesn't hurt when I run. It feels like a bruise. Today I noticed that I have a similar pain at the top of my thigh just like the OP mentioned.

I'm hoping this video of exercises helps. Should they be done after a run or later in the day?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points