Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

31431 Views 142 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2010 12:10 PM by Andy in FW 1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next
LadyMiller Expert 41 posts since
Mar 31, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 14, 2010 8:30 AM

Hal Higdon's 10K training Program - Anyone Game?

I finished the C25K program a few weeks ago, and in an effort to keep moving down the right path I'm starting Hal Higdon's 10K beginner training program this week.  It's free online, on his website, and it looks like a pretty reasonable plan to me.  I would love to have some company on the next leg of the journey so if you're interested let me know.

Upcoming Events:

Pass the Hope 5K - 4/17/10 - Completed 35:06

Run in the Park for the ARC of Jefferson County 5K - 5/22/10 - Completed 35:55

XTERRA Mud Run 10K - 6/12/10 - Completed 1:24:36

• Gottherunnindone Amateur 36 posts since
    Mar 17, 2010
    1. Apr 14, 2010 8:43 AM (in response to LadyMiller)
    Re: Hal Higdon's 10K training Program - Anyone Game?

I sort of "fast forwarded" myself to week four of it.  I've been doing three miles for a while and didn't want to drop down to the mileage of week 1 so I just chose the week that most resembled what I was already doing.  I'm not running a 10k race any time soon...I just do better working towards a goal rather than just random running.  If that makes any sense. 

Freihofer's Run For Women 5k-6/05/10- 36:53

Altamont 5k- 8/28/10- 35:14

Race for the Cure 5k- 10/02/10- 33:21

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn."  Harriet Beecher Stowe

• ssfit Pro 138 posts since
    Mar 1, 2009

I'll join you!

I did the c25k last year. Had a group here that helped me through it! Then I did the Hal Higdon Novice 10K too. But past few months have just been crazy with work. Running has suffered. Have gotten down to only 2-3 miles of running thrice a week. I think I would benefit a lot in terms of motivation from your company!

I'll start tomorrow! Will post my updates as often as possible.

Cheers and happy running!

• victhulhu Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 18, 2010
    4. Apr 20, 2010 5:20 AM (in response to LadyMiller)

Hi everyone!  I'll join up.  Recently finished C25k and have just finished Week 1 of the HH 10k program.  I'm not planning on running a 10k anytime soon myself - just wanted to stay disciplined with my running.  Thought I was going to be doing it without the support of the great people on these forums so I am really glad to have found this thread .

Started C25k: 2.17.10 - Graduated C25k: 4.6.10

Upcoming Races:

~Soleburner 5k - 5.8.10

Mar 1, 2009
    6. Apr 20, 2010 7:34 AM (in response to LadyMiller)

Hi everyone... I have been running too. Just did a 3 mile and a 2 mile runs last two times. Tomorrow is the next scheduled run. Haven't managed to get much cross training or strength training in yet. Will do as time permits. Hope you are all doing good.

Lady Miller.. kudos on the 1st 5K! It's nice that you stayed focussed and didn't get intimidated by the other runners. Woohoo on passing some of them too!

Victhulhu.. nice to have you joining us. I don't necessarily aim to do 10K either. But having a schedule and some company really helps keep one motivated.

Happy running everyone.

Mar 1, 2009
    7. Apr 21, 2010 12:31 PM (in response to ssfit)

Hey everyone.. just logged in to report my 2 mile run today. Friday or saturday will be the next long run.. Hoping to get some walking or cycling in tomorrow as cross-training. Hope you are all doing well. Cheers and happy running!

• Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010
    8. Apr 21, 2010 3:20 PM (in response to LadyMiller)

Hi all!  Victoria invited me to check this out.  I just looked the program over and it looks like something I might be interested in, but I would really need to change it up a little and make Thursday my rest day, because I will start working 12 hour shifts on Thursdays and with 2 hours of commuting... There's just not time.  So, I'd probably move everything up a day.  I really am not looking into increasing my time out there much past what I have been doing with the C25K, and my goal is more to improve my finess and not to run a 10K.  I'm hoping to have many more 5K's in my future though. 

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

Mar 1, 2009
    10. Apr 22, 2010 11:50 AM (in response to LadyMiller)

Hey Janet, nice to have you join us. I have done Hal Higdon 10K before and time constraints became a problem towards the end. So I don't necessarily want to get to 10K again this time. But the first few weeks schedule is really good for my time. I am on week 2 now. My plan is to follow this for as long as possible.. else repeat lesser time weeks.

Hey LadyMiller.. good luck with the 3.5 miler! You have been running long enough now. Trust the plan and go for it! I have the same coming up this weekend too. I'll come back and tell you I did it too! Ok?

I too am rearranging workouts through the week to suit what time I have that day. I just did the 30 minutes cross training today - 10 minutes walking and 20 on a stationary bike. Not bad.

I'll catch up with you all after my long-run on the weekend! Cheers and Happy Running!

• Run Ree Run Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010

Hi All!

I am graduating C25K this week and had been planning on starting a program called Freeway to 10k next week until I read this post .The Freeway is the only program I could find that closely resembled the C25K.  After looking over Hal Higdon's I think I would prefer to do his. Don't get me wrong The Freeway to 10k is great.. it has matching podcasts, printable workout schedule, and a heart rate guide... but I really want to focus on achieving the distance.

I really like the steps of this program and I am really excited to start this next week. So thank you! thank you! for posting this.  I just recently found this site and was alone running the C25K (although many of my friends have now started C25K because they have seen my progress ) I hope I am not too late to be in this group because I would love to have a support system for this and support others in turn. My plan is to start on Monday 04/26. Wish me luck!

Sharee

Turkey Trot - 11/26/09 - First 5k!

C25K - Started 02/22/10; Graduated 04/24/10
    America's Run Half Marathon and 5k - 04/09/10 - 38.18 5k time, next year is the half for me!
    Hal Higdon's 10k Training - Started 04/26/10; Projected Completion 06/20/10

Mar 1, 2009

Hi Sharee.. Congratulations on finishing c25k and inspiring your friends to pick it up too!

You are welcome to this thread. It is never late to join this group! I tend to post every other day or so. Basically I meet a scheduled workout and then post my outcome whether good or bad. That way I don't slack off.

Look forward to hearing about your progress. Cheers!

• Run Ree Run Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    13. Apr 22, 2010 3:32 PM (in response to ssfit)

Thanks ssfit! I will start posting my progress next week.

Sharee

Turkey Trot - 11/26/09 - First 5k!

C25K - Started 02/22/10; Graduated 04/24/10
    America's Run Half Marathon and 5k - 04/09/10 - 38.18 5k time, next year is the half for me!
    Hal Higdon's 10k Training - Started 04/26/10; Projected Completion 06/20/10

1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points