Skip navigation

1084 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2010 5:43 AM by JARRODDAVIS RSS
OGOhamilton Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 8, 2010 6:26 PM

Playing Professional Overseas Basketball?

What does it take to play basketball in other countries and would it be smart to go right out of high school and play overseas? Also what would the experience be like for a senior fresh out of high school and what's the process? Thanks for any answers..

• HOMICIDE Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 21, 2010
    1. Apr 21, 2010 5:35 PM (in response to OGOhamilton)
    Re: Playing Professional Overseas Basketball?

Hey Daniel

My name is Corey Homicide Williams and I have been playing professionally for the past 10 years. I've had stints with the NBA but most of my time as a professioanl player has been spent overseas. I played in Austrailia for the last 3 seasons with the McDonalds Townsville Crocodiles and was named MVP of the league this season.

TRUST ME YOU DONT WANT TO GO STRAIGHT OVERSEAS FROM HIGH SCHOOL.

Your too young to even understand the transitions you would have to make in order to survive off the court let alone on the court. If you are good enough to play overseas out of high school you are good enough to get an athletic scholarship and get a college degree for free!

Going to college before playing overseas will help you mature in ways that will help you have a more successful professional career when you do go play. When you play overseas you can end up in a country where they do not speak english and the team translator might not even speak english clearly which can be challenge. The language barrier, culture shock and being homesick without family and friends around all can affect your success on the court. Playing overseas is way different then the NBA in more ways then one, outside of the things I mentioned above your contract is usually not guarenteed therefore if you play bad, as an American they will fire you and send you home. There is no bench riding for Americans overseas if you do not perform at your best you will be fired.

Do your self a favor young brother, go to College. Develop and get better as a player and as a young man. The majority of players in high school do not understand the game well enough to have a successfull professional career on or off the court.

Go to college and get your degree young fella, if your game and maturity develop there will be opportunities for you to play overseas and have a successfull career. There is money to be made overseas but you have the capitalize off of the opportunity and playing basketball professionally requires you to be mature on all levels, going to college will get you there. Basketball will not last forever and having a degree will put you in a position to have a second career after hoops. I only have a few more years left in me but I have my degree and I know I have be able to come home and have a new career. Also you have to make smart moves with your money when you make it and having that maturity will help you make smart moves.

Good luck and I hope I was able to help.

Peace,

• JARRODDAVIS Expert 53 posts since
    Apr 17, 2010
    2. Apr 22, 2010 5:43 AM (in response to OGOhamilton)
    Re: Playing Professional Overseas Basketball?

Sup daniel if you want it go for it but i dont think that it would be a good idea to do it right out of your senior year of highschool you have to enjoy your friends before you commit to basketball but wait a few years and i think it would be a great idea

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points