Skip navigation

2580 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2010 3:04 AM by ploddinalong
ploddinalong Amateur 37 posts since
Apr 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 16, 2010 3:12 PM

First timer in need of advice!

Hi!  I did it - I signed up for the MCM... already, I am having issues.  I need advice.  Please!

I have run three halfs, none too quickly, but I finished!  My goal is to finish the MCM and beat the bridge.  I had a HORRIBLE experience during my last half (rained the whole time and I ran with an untreated horrid respiratory infection contracted overseas) even though I trained my heart out.  I havent put down a lot of mileage in the last year, but I was keeping in decent shape at the gym.  Recently, as I run I am having odd problems.  About 1/2 mile into my run the bottom of my calves begin to cramp, followed shortly by the muscles in my lower back.  I can push through (barely) this pain by stopping to stretch and walk a few yards... ok, so maybe its more like hobbling...  THEN about 2-2 1/2 miles in my feet go numb.... I have NEVER had this problem before... can anyone offer advice?  (I have gotten my shoes at a reputable running store and both my "broken in but not worn out" and "new" pair yield the same results... can anyone offer advice?

Thanks!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 16, 2010 6:49 PM (in response to ploddinalong)
    Re: First timer in need of advice!

I assume both the old and the new shoes are the same brand and model.  Have you changed anything else about how you run?  Increased speed? Increased distance? Changed posture, such as more forward lean or more upright? Pay attention to you running form: run upright with slight lean forward from the ankles - don't lean from the waist.  Plant your feet under your hips/center of gravity - not out in front of your body.  Hopefully that will help.  Let us know because the answer is not obvious.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Apr 17, 2010 6:37 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

This is not a complete answer:  For your lower back, the core must be strong.  The more miles you run the more stress you are going to put on your lower back.  Make sure to add core training to your weekly training with lower back exercises.  Good luck

Jan 18, 2008
    3. Apr 17, 2010 7:46 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

Good point about core strength.  It's also why I mentioned leaning forward at the waist, which will give you a sore back in no time (don't do it).  I have sometimes done that when I get very tired (mile 22 or so).  At this point my form has gone completely to pot and all bets are off for other aches and pains.  Continuing may not be worthwhile . . . unless the marathon finish line is a couple miles up the road.

Len

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    5. Apr 19, 2010 4:09 AM (in response to ploddinalong)

As for your feet going numb - How tightly do you tie your shoes?  They may be tied too tight.

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• Andrew... Legend 273 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    7. Apr 20, 2010 6:42 AM (in response to ploddinalong)

Plods,

Looks like you have a lot of stuff going on here. I don't know what's going on with your calves, but have you been good about stretching your calves over the last year? Also wrt shoes - dunb question but are they big (long/wide) enough?

Happy Running

• dspoland Amateur 23 posts since
    Nov 17, 2009
    8. Apr 21, 2010 9:45 AM (in response to ploddinalong)

My feet used to go numb too at about 2-3 miles into a run.  I talked with someone at the shoe store and she had me re-lace my shoes skipping the one right over the top.  It felt weird at first (felt loose, but it wasn't).  That helped me.

Just a thought.

Jan 18, 2008
    9. Apr 21, 2010 11:24 AM (in response to dspoland)

Another heretical thought - have you tried running without the inserts?  My personal opinion is if you have the right shoes, you generally do not need inserts.

Len

Len

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    10. Apr 22, 2010 7:54 AM (in response to ploddinalong)

Hey Plods - Congratulations on committing to your first marathon!  Good luck.  I'm no guru, like the others here, but my husband (who is my closest guru) surprised me when I first started training for a marathon when he insisted on a strong sit-ups program for core strength.  We do them on a ball to get the full stretch all the way back then we sit all the way up (he insists that crunches are for sissies - he's a Marine, what can I say?), then we do more sit-ups on the floor because you get a different thing going on in your upper thighs - all good for that core strength to help in running.  I don't know anything about shoes, but it seems to me that inserts don't make sense if you have a pair of good fitting shoes.  Double check on the fit.  One more tip my husband showed me:  We were running along one day and he barked, "Look up!"  I did and searched for the bird or plane or man of steel he must be pointing out - nothing but fluffy clouds.  I queried him and he said I was looking down which happens when you get tired.  He said that a DI about a hundred years ago told the recruits to "Look up!" and he realized when he did that it took a lot of tension off his lower back and remembered that trick ever since.  It worked and I hadn't realized I had tension until the tension was released.  When you feel tired, "Look up!"  If nothing else it helps to change up whatever posture you had so you don't get stiff.

• Lyle65 Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2010
    11. Apr 22, 2010 9:08 AM (in response to ploddinalong)

When I was a newbie I used to cramp up all the time and ended up dry heaving over same random bridge and scaring young children. I forced myself to drink Gatorade, but I hate the taste and am allergic to the dyes and additives they throw in there. I switched to Vita Coco and now I can run alot faster and further because it hydrates more. It also has a ton of essential nutrients and has more potassium than a banana. I also use it in my protein smoothies and my wife just drinks it because she loves the taste and is a health nut. I would recommend incorporating Vita Coco into your running regimen.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points