Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2075 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2010 9:04 PM by 2XU RSS
johnnysocko Pro 176 posts since
Jun 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 19, 2010 5:50 AM

Compression training clothing

Just started doing a little reading about compression clothing since I'd won a shirt at a racing event yesterday.

Anxious to get anyone's experience with it.  At the age of 46 I struggle greatly with recovery time and lingering soreness issues from training and racing, and the marketing on these garments seem to suggest they can help in those areas.

Also, I'm interested in what to buy?  My problem areas are the calves and upper thigh/hip areas (that probably comes as a shock, huh?).  Is there a good lower body pant type garment, or would someone typically buy the long short and compression sock types?  Is there a difference between compression sox and recovery sox?

Summer heat?  How's that work out?  What's the daily wear like?  Do you need multiple sets of each garment type?  Can you buy this stuff reliably off the internet, or is it best to try them on at a sporting store?  Best brands?

Sorry for all the questions.  Thanks in advance.

Ed.

• saga77039 Amateur 22 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Apr 19, 2010 11:27 AM (in response to johnnysocko)
    Re: Compression training clothing

i JUST posted something about this on my blog. literally just a couple of days ago. You can see the blog post here..

LINK TO BLOG

But to sum it up.. I really dig the compression socks. I bought a pair from the local CVS and they work great. I have read that some people leave them on for up to three hours after they run and i did the same. I used to have an acute pain on my right calve but i dont feel it nearly as much if at all. They dont have that same soreness either. I dont know if these things actually work or if its a placebo thing but i will be using these after every run. Might even get some of the more expensive ones.. even though they are in the 65$ range. yikes.

my blog about running while being a larger guy.. brooksbeaster

• Melmb Amateur 12 posts since
    Oct 2, 2009
    2. Apr 22, 2010 10:43 AM (in response to saga77039)

You guys should look into these compression socks called the Athletic Recovery Socks (http://www.athleticrecoverysock.com).  I have tried them, and they are so awesome! I can feel a huge difference in my legs. Not all socks that say compression offer true compression. You should look for boxes that say graduated compression. Graduated compression offers the most benefits because it circulates the blood the best. The company has a section on their website that explains the difference. Cheers!

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Apr 25, 2010 3:30 AM (in response to johnnysocko)

I've had a good experience with some compression clothing. I really like the Zensah compression sleeves for my calves. I feel like they were a real help in recovering from some long/hard runs. I've had a similarly good experience with the Injinji compression socks, though I'd give a slight edge to the Zensah sleeves if I had to choose which I prefer.

I've run in compression shorts, but I haven't felt as much benefit from them. I was specifically hoping for some extra support for a complaining adductor, but I didn't really notice much difference. My quads felt pretty good, though.

I've been running in UnderArmour Cold Gear compression shirts for a couple of years, but they mostly keep me warm and highlight my Buddha-belly in ways that I don't love.

In short: big thumbs-up on compression socks/calf sleeves; so-so on the shorts; meh on the shirts.

Looking forward to reading more about your experiences, Ed.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Apr 26, 2010 12:14 PM (in response to johnnysocko)

What you're describing sounds more to me like hip flexors. Adductors essentially lie on the inside of the thigh, adjacent to the crotch. These are among the muscles strained/pulled when athletes are sidelined from "groin strains/pulls" and the like.

Aside from strengthening and stretching, I'm not sure what to do for a hip flexor problem. It'll be tricky to isolate using compression shorts, though, since it's where a lot of the motion is happening. I'll chime in if I come up with any ideas or come across anything.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• taboulie Pro 64 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    7. May 4, 2010 4:35 PM (in response to johnnysocko)

I have a few pairs of Nike Compression 3/4 lengths.

Can't run without them, I have knee issues that nonexhistant with the compression. Highly recommend them!

They can be a bit gross after a long run and will need to be washed every run, sometimes I push it 2 runs but its a bit smelly. They hold up really well to all the washing if you do them cold water and no drier time!

In the summer I find that I swell a little while running so you might want to think about that when trying them on in a store they will feel a little bit tighter once you get moving.

Hope this helps!

• 2XU Rookie 1 posts since
    May 8, 2010
    8. May 8, 2010 9:04 PM (in response to taboulie)

Taboulie, do you mind if you can point me in to the right direction toward a web site url or the name of these compression 3/4 please as I also have chronic knee soreness too. Help appreciated.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...