Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5106 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2010 11:12 AM by JasonCR 1 2 Previous Next
2power Pro 91 posts since
Jan 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 19, 2010 9:25 AM

Ever had a Bad Long Run?

I have been zipping along in marathon training for 3.5 months and headed out for a 17 mile run yesterday. I did all the usual things leading up to the run, but it was hard, really hard. Mile 2 felt like mile 8, 8 felt like 16. I have never walked on any of my runs, long or short, but when I found myself beginning to walk at the end of mile 12 because I had no fuel in the tank, I cut my losses and walked home, forgoing the 17 I had planned. All my prior runs I have maintained a 10:20-30mm pace, but I found myself at 12mm and had zeroooo energy, which is strange. I practically floated through my 15 miler last week, each mile on pace. I shouted out some very un-ladylike words into the air (I was on an empty road) and sulked the whole way home.

Has this happened to anyone else, where there was such a difference between training runs? I do have a couple theories: didn't eat enough days prior to my run, I may have the verrrry beginnings of a cold because I feel sluggish today, but not sure. It would help to hear from anyone else who has experience something similiar or has any insight. thanks.

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    1. Apr 19, 2010 10:18 AM (in response to 2power)
    Re: Ever had a Bad Long Run?

When in doubt, listen to your body and trust your instincts.   With that said, one or more of your theories are probably correct.  In addition, based on your description, your body may just need some rest.  If your training schedule does not already incorporate it, take an active rest week after every three or four weeks of training.  Note the term "active".  That means you still workout, but not as much and not with as much intensity; basically, just enough to stay in shape and retain the fitness you've already achieved.  And don't be so hard on yourself.  Most of us are not built to undergo 3.5 months of marathon training day-in and day-out.  It's natural for your body to experience some exhaustion during training.  I know it's frustrating, especially when your mind is motivated.  But again, sometimes you have to listen to your body. 

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• Vin Camacho Pro 92 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    2. Apr 19, 2010 11:04 AM (in response to ActiveWatches Dave)

I absolutely agree with the above post. Sometimes you need to take a step back and recover. Also, are you paying attention to nutrition? You mind knows how far you can run, and sometimes will slow you down if you are going for a long distance. Remember to make sure you're keeping your calories are where they need to be. I burn around 120 calories per mile so I know when I am running anything more than a half marathon, I have to boost my calorie intake at least a few days before. When running long distance, the science of body chemistry and nutrition are extremely important. Good luck.

"You don't stop running because you get old, you get old becasue you stop running"

Take care, Train hard and Train smart. Sincerely, Vincent

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    3. Apr 19, 2010 11:55 AM (in response to 2power)

2power wrote:

I have been zipping along in marathon training for 3.5 months and headed out for a 17 mile run yesterday. I did all the usual things leading up to the run, but it was hard, really hard. Mile 2 felt like mile 8, 8 felt like 16. I have never walked on any of my runs, long or short, but when I found myself beginning to walk at the end of mile 12 because I had no fuel in the tank, I cut my losses and walked home, forgoing the 17 I had planned. All my prior runs I have maintained a 10:20-30mm pace, but I found myself at 12mm and had zeroooo energy, which is strange. I practically floated through my 15 miler last week, each mile on pace. I shouted out some very un-ladylike words into the air (I was on an empty road) and sulked the whole way home.

Has this happened to anyone else, where there was such a difference between training runs? I do have a couple theories: didn't eat enough days prior to my run, I may have the verrrry beginnings of a cold because I feel sluggish today, but not sure. It would help to hear from anyone else who has experience something similiar or has any insight. thanks.

Yes. I t has happened. It has happend with long runs. It has happened with short runs. Some days the body just does not want to move.Some days you can fight through it. Some days you can not. When we are honest with ourselves we know the difference. If the body truly does not want to move walk home, and used the PO'ed feeling to motivate you for the next long run.

• RunninOnE Pro 74 posts since
    Apr 10, 2008
    4. Apr 19, 2010 6:10 PM (in response to 2power)

I had a run like this a few months ago.  Similar mileage.  The whole run just stunk and I felt crummy for a few days afterward.  I still met my goal time for the proceeding marathon, actually crushed it.  So all is not lost!!!  I chilled out for a week, just took easy runs and spent some time on some cardio equipment.  Came back the next week and started crushing workouts again.

You're probably just overtrained.  Take a week of easy runs and focus on your nutrition and you should get your mojo back.  Reset your training calendar a bit and pick up where you left off.  It is better to arrive at the starting line in one piece than to never arrive at all.

Act like a horse.  Be dumb.  Just run.

- Jumbo Elliot

Smile, it confuses people.

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    5. Apr 20, 2010 7:41 AM (in response to 2power)

I just went through the same thing two weeks ago.  Was out for a 16 miler and ended up cutting it short and walking home after 10, wondering what the heck is going on!  I also used some very choice words to express my displeasure over such a bad run. Once I got over being bummed out about it I realized that every marathon I've trained for I've had a couple runs like this that just didn't really work out.  For me it was probably a combination of lack of sleep, a bit of over training and a minor case of planter fasciitis.  The good thing is that I usually bounce back which I did.  This past Sunday I did a real nice 20 miler that kicked my butt but felt really good.  I like those kind of tough runs.  Good luck and try not to lose confidence, some runs just don't work out the way we plan and don't forget your in the higher mileage part of your training now so your bound to have tougher days.  Hang on and get to your taper, it will be a welcome relief!!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• TheeSean Amateur 18 posts since
    Apr 20, 2010
    6. Apr 20, 2010 9:04 AM (in response to 2power)

Just a bad day.  Forget about it.  Training is more about the long term consistency and has nothing to do with one day, unless that day causes injury.

• CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    7. Apr 20, 2010 1:19 PM (in response to 2power)

We have all had a bad long run or two.  I usually go back some and sulk a little bit.  But you do not want to force a bad run into an injury.  Sometimes it just doesn't jell together.

Don't worry about missing one long run or even two in a many month training plan.  You will do fine.

• BookDiva Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    8. Apr 21, 2010 8:19 AM (in response to 2power)

Good to hear that I'm not the only one this happens to.  I had a fantastic 12 mile mountain trail run (up 6 down 6) two weeks ago, felt feuled and strong even though I hadn't been up to that altitude in 6 months.  Then last weekend I ran my usual flat, long, easy 13 and felt like I was made of lead.  I had to walk several times, cut it short at 12 miles, and felt completely drained the whole time.  I know it's a matter of fine tuning my cross training schedule, nutrition, and sleep; but still can't believe what a difference minor variations in those things can do to a long run.

• saprunner Rookie 9 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Apr 22, 2010 9:36 AM (in response to BookDiva)

As I have gotten older and increased my distance, I have realized how important muscle fuel, water and electrolytes are.  I'm wondering if you're running out of glycogen stores.  Catching a cold may have something to do with it too.  yes I have had a long bad run, and I hate to walk.

• Lyle65 Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2010
    10. Apr 22, 2010 10:16 AM (in response to 2power)

I used to have multiple bad long runs and almost gave it up altogether, but then I switched from drinking Gatorade to Vita Coco. I rehydrate much faster now, and the better taste gives me a better mentality about the whole run as well. There are also a ton of great nutrients in there, and I feel healthier in general. I truly suggest Vita Coco for long runs.

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    11. Apr 23, 2010 3:41 PM (in response to 2power)

I'm with the Active Watcher.  There comes a point in every training when the body simply says to you "enough".  We have all had off weeks!! I know I've had my fair share of mine!! It seems to largely come with the territory with Marathon training.  Take a bit of rest and see if that helps you.  A few days off is not going to kill your training program and you certainly won't lose any fitness by doing so.

• RunninOnE Pro 74 posts since
    Apr 10, 2008
    12. Apr 23, 2010 4:07 PM (in response to Runnergal262)

I agree, and sometimes you even come back feeling better!

Act like a horse.  Be dumb.  Just run.

- Jumbo Elliot

Smile, it confuses people.

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    14. Apr 25, 2010 4:25 PM (in response to 2power)

Nice!!  It's great when you get through a long one feeling strong especially after a burnout run.  Glad your back!  Good luck with the rest of your training!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...